Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vanilla Reloads!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM .5mm
Can I ask a dumb Q? Why deplete inventory of a store that sells VR and not just reload a card you already have? I have a local store that I go in everyday and purchase my morning Mpnster and a $500 VR. Havent tried more figure why burn something good.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by rdrink25
Can I ask a dumb Q? Why deplete inventory of a store that sells VR and not just reload a card you already have? I have a local store that I go in everyday and purchase my morning Mpnster and a $500 VR. Havent tried more figure why burn something good.
VRs are non reloadable.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
This post makes zero sense. You almost act like you reload your VR, but that's not possible, then you wonder why others don't.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:51 pm

I am so glad you posted this because you remind me of a time I was at CVS not on a MS errand but was buying some chips and a drink for a road trip. I saw an Asian girl that was trying to reload a VR. The CVS crew was quite confused on how to do that and after the CVS crew tries a few things, they just ask her to try to find another VR to scan to do the purchase. Of course the first thing I did anytime I went to the CVS stores was look to see if any VRs were available. I knew she was going to come back empty handed. I didn't stay long enough to see how determined she was to try to reload that single VR because the whole time I was just chuckling to myself as to how someone has the nerves to try to pull this off.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:08 pm

Didn't know they were not reload-able! Said it was a "dumb Q".
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:16 pm

i do this all the the time but with a different product at gas stores.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by jan_believes
There is always hope.

If I get enough nerve to go back and try again, I will post again. Thanks for the encouraging posts.

I have two travel charges on my Arrival motivating me but it's best to tread kindly and carefully.
Posting again as promised.

Just loaded my ONE VR purchased today with my CC. Sure beats other methods.

I thank God for this blessing. Turns out my DS needed a lift home after a day at the lake with a church buddy. Had to drive right by the gas mart on the way home. Decided to try again. The same gentleman accepted the CC and I made sure he was ok to do so. Said he'd been told as long as the CC and DL matched, just like last time. Asked me if I would like to add some jerky type meat with my purchase and I declined.

I then asked if my DS could come in and buy ONE, too, as long as he met the criteria with matching CC and DL. He agreed. Brought the sun burned kiddo in and he chose the other cashier. Went off without a hitch. That purchase represents half of his minimum spend on his Barclay.

I went back to the other guy and bought the "jerky"...
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:51 pm

Even if you don't scale up, some one will find it and ruin the deal. My opinion is just hit hard and fast. Nothing lasts more than 1-2 months.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tech2011
Even if you don't scale up, some one will find it and ruin the deal. My opinion is just hit hard and fast. Nothing lasts more than 1-2 months.
That is why people should not complain when they get stuck with beans. You always need a back up liquidation strategy.

Also, many MS approaches do last more than 1-2 months. They only last that short of a time if people call attention to the approach. Look at what happened with the Mint. Went strong for some time......but when people started bringing attention to the approach it was terminated very rapidly.

Last edited by deant; Aug 22, 2014 at 12:27 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
MHO: I think I am buying my ONE VR at a time and doing it successfully because

I noticed the VR, with limited icons featured on the front of the card, has a different way to be scanned than newer versions.

There is one left at the mart after I picked one up on Monday. That day I went through quite a few steps to buy it by a very sweet but careful cashier.

I think they may be liquidating them as "old" at VCS.

As an aside, I'm wondering if the classical VRs are going the way of exclusive reloading at stores.

8/28 Bought THREE today with CCs. Icons featured were not current.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 29, 2014 at 8:12 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by deant
That is why people should not complain when they get stuck with beans. You always need a back up liquidation strategy.

Also, many MS approaches do last more than 1-2 months. They only last that short of a time if people call attention to the approach. Look at what happened with the Mint. Went strong for some time......but when people started bringing attention to the approach it was terminated very rapidly.
Getting stuck with beans? Oh, what a nice problem to have!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
FYI people... At least one current source of VRs is explicitly revealed in the Old Amex Blue Cash thread here. Just scroll through the last few pages and you'll eventually find it. And I can confirm that said place does in fact carry them and sells them via CC and even AGC.

EDIT: Do not PM asking for details. If you are unwilling or unable to follow the straightforward guidance in this post, it's probably best that you're not collecting VRs in the first place.

Last edited by FederalFlyer; Aug 29, 2014 at 12:36 pm
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by goblue77
i'm impressed with OP and members of this forum. where there's a will, there's a way.
Simply, impressed. ^
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:50 am

How can you unload ONEs? I have a store where I can get them but I dont know how to unload through BB. I use only VR to load on my BB. Please PM me if you can help.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat

Bummer, it didn't work

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.