Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 6, 14, 1:10 pm   #46
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymothy View Post
CVS across the street from me was chock full of VRs, probably 50+. Tried to buy one and the cashier said it was cash only.

Is that hard coded into the system for a store or just a policy clerks are told about? Imagining I might get a different response if I try back by the pharmacy or throw in some extra stuff. Didn't see any signs listing any policies about VRs.
Try another CVS. The whole CVS cash only thing is a store by store decision. Sometimes seeing a lot of VR's means its not a good sign. I mean if there are like 20 or so left then that makes sense but having 50+ VRs means one of two things. Either the CVS manager limits ppl to $1K per day or cash only.
ericdabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 14, 4:02 pm   #47
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
Try another CVS. The whole CVS cash only thing is a store by store decision. Sometimes seeing a lot of VR's means its not a good sign. I mean if there are like 20 or so left then that makes sense but having 50+ VRs means one of two things. Either the CVS manager limits ppl to $1K per day or cash only.
Hmm, went to another CVS and got the same thing, saw an official disclaimer saying they wouldn't sell prepaid on credit card. The disclaimer was actually printed as part of the whole gift card kiosk, so it's not like a store manager put it up on a whim. Went back to the first cvs and it also had the same printed disclaimer:

"Acceptance of cash or credit card only for prepaid card purchases and acceptance of cash only for Prepaid Debit Card [sic] product purchases."

Anyone else see this or know a way around? Is this a new trend?
tymothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 14, 4:10 pm   #48
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymothy View Post
Hmm, went to another CVS and got the same thing, saw an official disclaimer saying they wouldn't sell prepaid on credit card. The disclaimer was actually printed as part of the whole gift card kiosk, so it's not like a store manager put it up on a whim. Went back to the first cvs and it also had the same printed disclaimer:

"Acceptance of cash or credit card only for prepaid card purchases and acceptance of cash only for Prepaid Debit Card [sic] product purchases."

Anyone else see this or know a way around? Is this a new trend?
It could just be the CVS stores around you. It could have been imposed by the Operations Manager around the few CVS stores around your area or it just could be that the two CVS stores talked to each other and just agreed to both incorporate that rule.

Unfortunately if the sign says what you posted, then it is clear as day that there is no exceptions to accepting CC on VRs or any prepaid purchases. Its going to suck but the only thing I can suggest ot make sure you check all possible CVS stores around you. Its probably going to be inconvenient but if you can find a CVS that still honors that but you have to drive a bit further, it is worth it. The alternative could be that in your place of work in another part of town has CVS stores, then you can try checking it out there.
ericdabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 14, 4:15 pm   #49
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: LA, CA
Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Posts: 19
Had some bizarre experiences after visiting 5 different CVS stores today.

Store 1: I purchased $4.5k yesterday in one txn with manager there. Same manager today but he went nuts. He said I had to buy one $500 at a time up to $2k. But he allowed me to buy $2k PayPal cards in one txn w/ID. Of course my AA Citi card got fraud alert during this drama. Manager said this wasn't right, he understands i want my cc "points" but then started pulling all the VR/PayPal cards off the rack. He said he got a memo yesterday about limiting the cards but wouldn't divulge any more info.

Store 2: Line too long, only had PayPal cards.

Store 3: Had VR and PP cards. Friend used CC a few days ago. Spoke to manager and he said the only card I could use cc for was MyVanilla. He wouldn't show me any official documentation on the cash limitation. He said the vendor has dictated cash only.

Store 4: Had VR. Manager said he fired an employee last week for selling VR with cc. Told me they've never sold them with cc and my experience must have been with the employee he fired.

Store 5: Got the final $1.5k I needed for the $10k min. spend, no issues. Manager was nice, told me it was no problem. Just asked for ID and rang up $1.5k in one txn.

YMMV. What gets me is the excuses these store managers use.. like they NEVER EVER allowed cc at that location...but before I've used cc and my friends have used cc there.
KiasuChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 14, 4:25 pm   #50
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold
Posts: 71
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiasuChick View Post
He said he got a memo yesterday about limiting the cards but wouldn't divulge any more info.

tymothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 14, 4:34 pm   #51
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: LA, CA
Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymothy View Post

LOL I'm going to go back before closing tonight to see what's going on. I'll be conservative with $1k if the VR are back on the shelf.

Realized I have Citi Dividend 5% bonus to max out. Onto the next $6k!!
KiasuChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 14, 7:06 pm   #52
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 22
There's a CVS just north of LAX on Sepulveda that tends to have them in stock and CC purchases are ok. But they are out and have been for a while. No explanation.

LA is dry as a bone at the moment, except at the (many) places where they don't sell them on CC. Hopefully this is not a trend that portends a policy shift...
DoctorTacoFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 14, 7:34 pm   #53
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LAX/SNA/LGB
Programs: Delta PM | US SP | Hilton Gold
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorTacoFace View Post
There's a CVS just north of LAX on Sepulveda that tends to have them in stock and CC purchases are ok. But they are out and have been for a while. No explanation.

LA is dry as a bone at the moment, except at the (many) places where they don't sell them on CC. Hopefully this is not a trend that portends a policy shift...
Just take the beans and bring them to another store that accepts CC.
john doe iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 14, 7:58 pm   #54
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiasuChick View Post
Had some bizarre experiences after visiting 5 different CVS stores today.

Store 1: I purchased $4.5k yesterday in one txn with manager there. Same manager today but he went nuts. He said I had to buy one $500 at a time up to $2k. But he allowed me to buy $2k PayPal cards in one txn w/ID. Of course my AA Citi card got fraud alert during this drama. Manager said this wasn't right, he understands i want my cc "points" but then started pulling all the VR/PayPal cards off the rack. He said he got a memo yesterday about limiting the cards but wouldn't divulge any more info.

Store 2: Line too long, only had PayPal cards.

Store 3: Had VR and PP cards. Friend used CC a few days ago. Spoke to manager and he said the only card I could use cc for was MyVanilla. He wouldn't show me any official documentation on the cash limitation. He said the vendor has dictated cash only.

Store 4: Had VR. Manager said he fired an employee last week for selling VR with cc. Told me they've never sold them with cc and my experience must have been with the employee he fired.

Store 5: Got the final $1.5k I needed for the $10k min. spend, no issues. Manager was nice, told me it was no problem. Just asked for ID and rang up $1.5k in one txn.

YMMV. What gets me is the excuses these store managers use.. like they NEVER EVER allowed cc at that location...but before I've used cc and my friends have used cc there.
I just think they want to intimidate you from ever trying again. I am sure they know that if they said it nicely you might try again at another point when they are not there or with a different cashier.

The manager from store 1 seems to be a bit over the top. My god..just tell the customer its cash only and move on. Why go beserk and rip all the VRs and PP cards off the shelf like a barbarian.
ericdabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 14, 10:01 pm   #55
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Five Star, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Posts: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymothy View Post
Hmm, went to another CVS and got the same thing, saw an official disclaimer saying they wouldn't sell prepaid on credit card. The disclaimer was actually printed as part of the whole gift card kiosk, so it's not like a store manager put it up on a whim. Went back to the first cvs and it also had the same printed disclaimer:

"Acceptance of cash or credit card only for prepaid card purchases and acceptance of cash only for Prepaid Debit Card [sic] product purchases."

Anyone else see this or know a way around? Is this a new trend?
Yes, I saw this disclaimer statement at two CVS stores today.

First one, no CC allowed for VR. This is a unique store with a very strict manager. Not too surprised and I retreated.

Later, had contention with my DS and decided to go for ride to separate for awhile and thought I would check another store. At first, and I don't know why, but was turned down initially by the register. The young male cashier offered to try it again and the CC payment was accepted. For CVS this dude was really exceptional in his public interaction and willingness to serve. AND, I am not saying that just because of the VR. He was pleasant and willing. I don't see that much at CVS. Anyway....finally, success.

Last edited by jan_believes; Feb 7, 14 at 12:00 am.
jan_believes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 14, 10:04 pm   #56
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Five Star, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Posts: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
The manager from store 1 seems to be a bit over the top. My god..just tell the customer its cash only and move on. Why go beserk and rip all the VRs and PP cards off the shelf like a barbarian?
I pictured a Viking.
jan_believes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 14, 10:07 pm   #57
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymothy View Post

"Acceptance of cash or credit card only for prepaid card purchases and acceptance of cash only for Prepaid Debit Card [sic] product purchases."
Wait, they say cash or credit for prepaid cards but cash only for prepaid debit? What prepaid cards are they saying are OK with credit - things like phone cards? And reload cards aren't in that list, so if you can find a receptive cashier it might be worth making the argument that any payment method is permitted for VR.
itchyfeet123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 14, 10:09 pm   #58
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 55
VR Network Partners

Their front page only list some partners. Anyone know where to find a list like MP or RL has?

Edit: Seem I can't find RL's list. Used to be on front page. Any help there is appreciated.
scottybweyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 14, 10:39 pm   #59
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyfeet123 View Post
Wait, they say cash or credit for prepaid cards but cash only for prepaid debit? What prepaid cards are they saying are OK with credit - things like phone cards? And reload cards aren't in that list, so if you can find a receptive cashier it might be worth making the argument that any payment method is permitted for VR.

I think they intend "prepaid cards" to mean traditional gift cards that function at only one location- Applebees, Amazon, etc, and not a cash equivalent card that can do cash advances or swiped for purchases almost anywhere. But good call on the VR, as it's technically not a debit card and the cards themselves say "Load $20-$500 to your prepaid card or online account".

Whether or not I can convince a cashier is one thing, whether or not they need to or can override the system is another. I think I'll try it tomorrow.
tymothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 14, 10:45 pm   #60
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymothy View Post
I think they intend "prepaid cards" to mean traditional gift cards that function at only one location- Applebees, Amazon, etc, and not a cash equivalent card that can do cash advances or swiped for purchases almost anywhere. But good call on the VR, as it's technically not a debit card and the cards themselves say "Load $20-$500 to your prepaid card or online account".

Whether or not I can convince a cashier is one thing, whether or not they need to or can override the system is another. I think I'll try it tomorrow.
Oh jesus, please dont scare me like this...
mastermind85 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:13 am.