Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheDapperDon
Bonus category spending is now capped at $50k per year for new accounts. For now, this does not apply to existing cardholders, although Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. This card is less viable as an MS instrument. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex. As of Dec 13, 2014, shutdown reports continue. Shutdowns appear to be triggered by spending on the card or upon statement closure, but not always

Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

Others have succeeded in getting new cards, including new OBCs, but consider your relationship with Amex and how much you value that and this card when deciding how to use it.

There might be some impact with other issuers. If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

So, if you still feel it is worth it:
Application Link: Copy & paste the following link into a incognito window in Chrome or InPrivate Browsing in IE, Private Session in Firefox. There have been reports of people who got the card in the last couple of months getting shut down because of the rush to spend the initial $6,500.

Do NOT post "Link isn't working" until you have tried it incognito/private browsing and it fails there.

Code:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500 spend in a reward year, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases (5% after 6500), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

'Reward year' is the 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one in which the anniversary of your Card Account occurs.

'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

* Read the fine print for 'gas' purchases! Right from AMEX T&C's:
...Everyday Purchases are: ... $400 or less of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations)... A >$400 purchase at a gas station will get 5% for the first $400 and 1% thereafter. E.g., for something, say, $503.95, you would earn $21.04 CB [($400*5%)+(103.95*1%)].

5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 23 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2013-2014)

Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Lasted 10 months or so after it was trumpted on this forum. I'd be interested to see how many applicants received this card over that timeframe.

I'd also be interested to see if the next card of this quality is trumpeted the same way.
And you were one, right? Love the passive voice now.

I can't wait to churn and burn on this card. This will replace my TYP when it goes kaput.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JimR1998
I've had this card for about 10 years. I have another AMEX card which was unaffected.

Most of my MS was at CVS. Anyone have their card cancelled with supermarket MS?

I will probably call their customer service tomorrow and see if they have any answers for me, but probably not. Good while it lasted.
With the problems with Vanilla at Walmart, most of my MS spending switched to supermarket
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by silver6054
And you were one, right? Love the passive voice now.

I can't wait to churn and burn on this card. This will replace my TYP when it goes kaput.
I've wanted this thread to die for a very long time and have stated as such.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:19 pm
xp0

Looks like next wave is hitting now....
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xp0
Looks like next wave is hitting now....
What do you mean?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:22 pm

I wonder if anyone will have this card this time next month.
Closed wife and my card also .
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:23 pm

Old Amex Blue

I wonder if this somewhat related to CVS changes. Could it be possible that CVS is now letting AMEX know the breakdown of our purchases, which is then canceling those cards abusing GCs ?

Programs: Delta
For those who got closed:

-Were you paying your balance in full before the statement posted?
-Making multiple payments in a month?
-Number of payment sources?
-Multiplying your CL?
-Exceeding your HHI in spending per month?
-Grocery or Pharmacy?
-Last purchase from where? (Maybe someone went to level 3 reporting?)
-Any regular spend (non-bonus)?

Last edited by sameoldme; Oct 22, 2014 at 12:51 pm Reason: Added some Qs
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I've wanted this thread to die for a very long time and have stated as such.
Right, but that was pure selfishness (now that you got the card) and may not even make too much sense in your own self-interest. If no-one posts anything, you miss your short-lived chance at the next big thing.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:25 pm

We are contacting you to be sure you do not have any surprises when you try to use your card. We wanted to let you know we have had to make the decision to close your account listed above.

Please tell any Additional Card Members on this account of this change so they do not have an unexpected inconvenience when attempting to use the Card.
You should also destroy the card(s) and any convenience checks you may have for the account(s).
If you have any recurring charges on these accounts such as cell phone charges, please contact that company immediately to ensure your other bills do not go unpaid.
You will also receive this information by letter, but we wanted to be sure you were aware of this change as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

American Express Account Services
Huh. Perhaps they finally decided to discontinue of the card.
xp0

What do you mean?
Next wave of people getting emails for account closures.
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sameoldme
For those who got closed:

-Were you paying your balance in full before the statement posted?
-Making multiple payments in a month?
-Multiplying your CL?
-Exceeding your HHI in spending per month?
-Grocery or Pharmacy?
Paid in full usually before statement posted, multiple payments from multiple sources (you missed that one!), only 50% of CL, not exceeding HHI, and both, but mainly grocery now.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL DM
Well...all this means is an opportunity to apply for another amex...!

My first guess was finally discontinuing the card, but they likely would have offered alternatives to people to switch to...
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coltonatx
I wonder if this somewhat related to CVS changes. Could it be possible that CVS is now letting AMEX know the breakdown of our purchases, which is then canceling those cards abusing GCs ?
Not in my case, haven't bought more than 1 OV a month recently.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by 38ronnie
I wonder if anyone will have this card this time next month.
Closed wife and my card also .
I'm guess no. From what people are posting it is a random bunch (of MSers). Perhaps processing emails by account number or something.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.