Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Sign in using an external account

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 28, 14, 8:00 pm   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: Old Amex Blue
Please read: this is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.

Last edit by: cloudybw
Application Link: Copy & paste the following link into a incognito window in Chrome or InPrivate Browsing in IE, Private Session in Firefox.

Do NOT post "Link isn't working" until you have tried it incognito/private browsing and it fails there.

Code:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500 spend in a reward year, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases (5% after 6500), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

'Reward year' is the 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one in which the anniversary of your Card Account occurs.

'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

* Read the fine print for 'gas' purchases! Right from AMEX T&C's:
...Everyday Purchases are: ... $400 or less of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations)... A >$400 purchase at a gas station will get 5% for the first $400 and 1% thereafter. E.g., for something, say, $503.95, you would earn $21.04 CB [($400*5%)+(103.95*1%)].

5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 23 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 14, 2:05 pm   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver6054 View Post
Well, a common thing to do is to use BB to pay the credit card. Some are wary of doing that with an Amex credit card (as it is Amex to Amex) but many report no issue.

The problem with doing only $5k a month is that the returns aren't that great (more like $210 a month after the fees), and with this card you have to "waste" some rewards on the initial $6,500, getting 0.5%/1% where you could be getting 1.5% or more, depending on your other cards. And most of the risk of being shut down is still there with this level of spending.

On the other hand, if this card is useful for 5% on real groceries and gas, then you can view the extra $210 per month as a good perk!
My yearly expenses for gas an groceries are ~6500 so anything above that is gravy.
greggarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 14, 2:09 pm   #167

is there anyway to convert the BC points to AMEX MR? I remember reading if you upgrade some cards, it can be converted to points if you upgrade. doubt this is one of them, but...
leftpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 14, 2:10 pm   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggarious View Post
My yearly expenses for gas an groceries are ~6500 so anything above that is gravy.
OK, not sure why that is significant! The point is until you spend $6,500, you won't be getting 5% on groceries, gas or drugstores, you will get 1% there and 0.5% elsewhere.

So to make this card worthwhile, you have to spend that much, and for most of us, wherever that spend is done, on that $6,500 you get a lower return than you would on your current cards. It's not huge, but something to take into account.
silver6054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 14, 4:12 pm   #169

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
I may not be understanding something... What's the difference between new and old card?
And isn't the cap only 6500 annually???

rgAAFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 14, 4:28 pm   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgAAFT View Post
I may not be understanding something... What's the difference between new and old card?
And isn't the cap only 6500 annually???

New card (if you mean the BCP) has a cap on rewards, so only the first $6K groceries earns 6%. Old card (Blue Cash) has 5% categories that start AFTER $6.5K spend. So very different types of cap.
Old Jan 1, 14, 5:07 pm   #171

Is the offer dead?

EDIT: Never mind, had to use a different browser. My next AoR is 1/13, but tempted to apply now before it's officially dead.
xiKiNGix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 14, 5:17 pm   #172

Quote:
So what would happen if I started buying Vanilla Reloads, funding my BB account with them, then writing a check to myself for the $$? Would BB close my account?

I did the math, and if you did the 5k limit per month, at 5% you'd make about $250 per month.

My main concern is spending the beans - I have manufactured to hit spending reqs before, but usually just 2-3k, and just slowly used that money to pay my bills, but with the amounts involved here I'd have to write a check to myself or something...
You forgot the 3.95 fee per VR. That takes 39.50 away from your profit (but also adds another 1.97 in cashback on the 39.50.

Of course, the first month and part of the second, you'll be at 1% cashback, so the your annual profit has to account for that as well.
mithrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 14, 5:21 pm   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiKiNGix View Post
Is the offer dead?

EDIT: Never mind, had to use a different browser. My next AoR is 1/13, but tempted to apply now before it's officially dead.
It's been around a while and earlier in this thread, someone was told by a CSR (which doesn't mean it's true...) that they intend to keep it around. I doubt if they will kill it now just because of a wave of apps, but if a huge amount of MS appears, following those apps, then maybe (or downgrade the rewards).
Old Jan 1, 14, 5:31 pm   #174

Quote:
So what would happen if I started buying Vanilla Reloads, funding my BB account with them, then writing a check to myself for the $$? Would BB close my account?

I did the math, and if you did the 5k limit per month, at 5% you'd make about $250 per month.

My main concern is spending the beans - I have manufactured to hit spending reqs before, but usually just 2-3k, and just slowly used that money to pay my bills, but with the amounts involved here I'd have to write a check to myself or something...
Given the level of spend you're planning, you might be better off with the Wells Fargo 5% card. The 5% is for the first 6 months, but if you start mid-month, you can cover 7 Bluebird months. If you can afford to stock up on VRs at the end you could extend it to 8-9 months.

Not as big payoff for the year vs. Amex, but you get 5% from day 1, and if you do get AA, instead of FR from Amex that could affect your other accounts, it's a warning or shut down from WF. I value my relationship with Amex MUCH more than WF.

I've already gotten through one 6 months offer with my spouse (older offer of 3x points) successfully with higher spending levels than yours. After the 6 months, I left the last month's charges on and am paying the minimum because it also had 12 months 0% on purchases. Current 5x offer also has that if you go with the points version instead of the cash one.
mithrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 14, 5:39 pm   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrin View Post
You forgot the 3.95 fee per VR. That takes 39.50 away from your profit (but also adds another 1.97 in cashback on the 39.50.

Of course, the first month and part of the second, you'll be at 1% cashback, so the your annual profit has to account for that as well.

If you buy VR's and are getting the "5%", it is really 4.21%

If you buy GC's, it is typically 4.01%.

I find it easier to compute this way than to subtract the cost of each VR.
Rick471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 14, 6:13 pm   #176

Programs: PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
2 days later I finally received the approval email! Happy New Year to all.
Corridor! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 14, 8:57 am   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver6054 View Post
OK, not sure why that is significant! The point is until you spend $6,500, you won't be getting 5% on groceries, gas or drugstores, you will get 1% there and 0.5% elsewhere.

So to make this card worthwhile, you have to spend that much, and for most of us, wherever that spend is done, on that $6,500 you get a lower return than you would on your current cards. It's not huge, but something to take into account.
It means if I charge all my normal expenses, then manufactured spend w/ beans I can get 210 dollars a month effectively for free. (That figure accounts for bean fees)
greggarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 14, 9:00 am   #178

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Data point: Wife has had BCP for a while (2-3 years). Did not bother trying to call in and change it over. Applied for her and got instant approval.
glocklt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 14, 9:01 am   #179

OK, not quite effectively for free as you are losing whatever above 1% you would have got on that spend, but that loss is fairly small compared to a year of MS.
Old Jan 2, 14, 11:29 am   #180

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold
Applied for the card and was approved instantly. Is there a way to learn of the credit limit before receiving the card and welcome packet? Also, for those who have the BCP and this card, is the Rewards Dollars account number the same? When I look at the BCP online, there's a "Program Number". Is this per card or per account?
midnightinharlem is offline   Reply With Quote