Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Proposal and Discussion: Limit the MS thread access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal and Discussion: Limit the MS thread access

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by cashback
Flyer Talk Manufactured Spending is a frequented forum by members as well as lurkers, searchable by Google.
Advantages of posting deals:
1.)???
Disadvantages of posting deals:
1.) Posting the deal ensures it gets killed. (Numerous examples. I wont bother listing them all.)
2.) You are not only hurt yourself, you hurt anyone using the deal prior to the posting. (Those people who have the discretion)
Discuss either side.
3.) ???
Please don't argue the chicken/egg theory. Groups of <50 people can discover better deals than posted on FT.
And yes you can get into private groups by applying and showing more than the average competence in MS through your own research and diligence.
I disagree with the whole premise. 'Posting the deal does not ensures it gets killed.' If u have numerous examples, those are your conclusions I am aware of few posters angry and weeping about it.

(When u throw a bone to a dog, the dog does not know why u were so generous, but u do know...)

These forums has been used by corporations for promoting and advertising the marketing plans, the most effective at a least cost.

The deals die only when the program originator goals/targets are accomplished. There have been exceptions, (errors/bugs that are fixed within 24 hours...)

Posting the deal here helps u in understanding, assurance and confidence of proper executions.

Its a win-win.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:18 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Mamibear
If someone posts a tactic they've been keeping to themselves, they go postal on the OP either via PM or post scathing comments to belittle them.
That's one of the reasons we have moderators. If someone is attacked in public or via PM, they can deal with that. Report the post to a moderator or forward the PM to a moderator so they can take action.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mamibear
^

it's funny how others insist to close the board to others since they are already IN what matters to them is I, ME, MYSELF.
I completely disagree with this... If this was the case I and others wouldn't have spend HOURS answering people questions and giving inside tips, however, the forum is being run over by people who are too damn lazy to read a thread and LEARN about the game, they just want the answer spoon feed to them, it becomes too much to log in and find 15 questions, when the answers are either in the wiki or in the thread...
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
the forum is being run over by people who are too damn lazy to read a thread and LEARN about the game
And your solution to that is? Posters have been complaining about that since this thread started in December. Can't say I've noticed anyone come up with a grand idea to make those new posters stop posting. One member wanted them to sign an affadavit that they had read the wiki before being able to post. That didn't seem to take off. Do you have any new ideas that haven't been in play already, either here or on the Talk Board thread?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Like the mint deal?

Originally Posted by prasha11
...The deals die only when the program originator goals/targets are accomplished....
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
And your solution to that is? Posters have been complaining about that since this thread started in December. Can't say I've noticed anyone come up with a grand idea to make those new posters stop posting. One member wanted them to sign an affadavit that they had read the wiki before being able to post. That didn't seem to take off. Do you have any new ideas that haven't been in play already, either here or on the Talk Board thread?
Mods to delete commonly asked questions? That's all I can come up with.

Yes, I have new ideas & working on it. No, not sharing. I've been helping enough with other things. That's not good enough?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by vagrants
Yes, I have new ideas & working on it. No, not sharing. I've been helping enough with other things. That's not good enough?
u not sharing ideas is your loss. You will not get feed back, verification and validation, simplification and optimization ideas, the evolution and next alternatives of the concepts for enhancement.

Eventually, some one will do it and will make u angry!

The forum will continue with or without your contribution.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:01 pm

u not sharing ideas is your loss. You will not get feed back, verification and validation, simplification and optimization ideas, the evolution and next alternatives of the concepts for enhancement.

Eventually, some one will do it and will make u angry!

The forum will continue with or without your contribution.
Yes, my loss. I'm fine with it. I don't need anybody's feedback, verification & validation (since I can do it already, no reason for anybody else to verify what I can do). It's already simple as it is. I'll spend "my" time optimizing it if necessary. Thanks for the advice.

I wasn't angry when somebody posted HIGC deal here long time ago. But, I might get angry. It'll depend on the mood.

I honestly don't care if the forum will continue with or without me. It's just a tool to me as with other MS instruments.

Last edited by vagrants; Jul 29, 2014 at 8:53 pm
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:16 am

I honestly don't care if the forum will continue with or without me. It's just a tool to me as with other MS instruments.
What does this 'tool' do for u?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Tom, I have stated my position on this many times, Limit access to new people allow them to read the threads but no posting for at least a 100 posting. Something has to change, I stop posting on the MS thread for this very reason....
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Like the mint deal?
my dear friend, mint deal still alive and well. just need to be creative with finding a way to be profitable with a $5 shipping flat rate fee. can you use your imagination?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Something has to change, I stop posting on the MS thread for this very reason....
Does something really have to change, though? The forum looks as busy as ever and others will come along to direct newbies. You may not enjoy the forum as it is now, but it seems to be working. I didn't enjoy one of the snarkier airline forums here for a while, but it didn't stop me from posting and it was cleaned up eventually. I had to tune out a lot of posters that just drove me crazy (and they were not newbies).

The Talk Board has clearly indicated they don't have an interest in setting up access restrictions for this forum while you want some type of access restriction in place. They did not place a motion on the table for a vote. I think you just need to move on and look at what you can impact, such as moderation policies. We're not allowed to discuss those in public, but one MS moderator did indicate he was open to feedback. It's the very last post on the Talk Board thread. LINK

You'll note that four times as many members posted in this thread compared to the Talk Board thread. The focus of the Talk Board thread seemed to be snarky posters and not new members who post questions that have been asked before. Maybe the Talk Board would have been more interested if more members from this forum asked for restrictions and focused on locking out newbies for a certain amount of days or posts. There just wasn't enough support for those restrictions as a method to lock out new members from posting.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:11 am

Yes, my loss. I'm fine with it. I don't need anybody's feedback, verification & validation (since I can do it already, no reason for anybody else to verify what I can do). It's already simple as it is. I'll spend "my" time optimizing it if necessary. Thanks for the advice.

I wasn't angry when somebody posted HIGC deal here long time ago. But, I might get angry. It'll depend on the mood.

I believe that Tom911's reference to new ideas (since he referenced the Talkboard thread) was ideas for cleaning up the forum, not new ideas for MS.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:35 am

What does this 'tool' do for u?
Most of the time, killing time, not much more.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by silver6054
I believe that Tom911's reference to new ideas (since he referenced the Talkboard thread) was ideas for cleaning up the forum, not new ideas for MS.
OK, my brain is screwed up. Thanks for clearing it up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.