Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Where to buy money orders with prepaid/gift cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Please read this thread for help with Debit cards: PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards

Many stores that accept Gebit for regular purchases will not accept Gebit for a MO purchase.

Supermarket chain policy varies by region, and even by store to store within the same region.
e.g. Kr0g3r may allow such in the South and Southeast, but does not in West, Southwest, Northwest, etc

Publix & Walmart & Winn Dixie = NO auto drain.
Publix & Walmart allow splits

Places that sell MO (need more DPs):

Supermarket and Grocery Stores:
Walmart
Shoprite (?)
Stop & Shop
Weis (cash only)
Wegmans (?)

Drug Stores:
CVS (?)
Rite Aids (acquired by Walgreens)
Walgreens
​​​​​​​
Convenience Stores:
7-11 (?)
QuickChek (?)
Wawa (?)
Print Wikipost

Where to buy money orders with prepaid/gift cards?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by badamax
Just to clarify and further reinforce the strangeness of what happened, the VGC I used did not have my name on it and it was not personalized in any way. It was a generic simon mall VGC that said "gift card" in big letters on the front. The supervisor did not ask for my ID, and, as I mentioned before, she took the time to look at the front and the back and let me proceed as if I was using a regular "bank issued debit card."
She was probably specifically looking for a name on the card to match to your ID, but since it didn't have a name she didn't care.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 2:24 pm

Publix + Walmart denied GC for MO

Has anything changed with Publix or Walmart computer systems when purchasing MO? Tried both this weekend to purchase w/SimonGC. Both places the computer denied after selecting DC, entering my pin and selecting no cash back. Live in the Atlanta area. Thoughts?
Old Nov 27, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by kcb4143
Has anything changed with Publix or Walmart computer systems when purchasing MO? Tried both this weekend to purchase w/SimonGC. Both places the computer denied after selecting DC, entering my pin and selecting no cash back. Live in the Atlanta area. Thoughts?
Sounds like you may need to reset your PIN
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:25 am

Reset my pin and tried a 2nd GC @ Walmart. Denied again!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by kcb4143
Reset my pin and tried a 2nd GC @ Walmart. Denied again!
I purchased mo at Walmart yesterday with metabank VGC with no issues.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by briang191
I purchased mo at Walmart yesterday with metabank VGC with no issues.
Are you sure of the balance? I had two Simon cards compromised this week, so they showed as "debit not available" at WMT. Problem was that they had < the amount requested because I didn't know they had less than the full amount on them.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum Jet Blue Mosaic
Seeing the posts re: Winn Dixie and Publix.
Are these stores now back "on-line" for
purchasing MO's with Gebit?

Thought these were dead and buried.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by chipcollector
Are these stores now back "on-line" for
purchasing MO's with Gebit?

Thanks in advance!
Very hit and miss (mostly miss), especially if your location is indeed South FL.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum Jet Blue Mosaic
Originally Posted by CWAL
Very hit and miss (mostly miss), especially if your location is indeed South FL.
THANKS!
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:24 am

I finally found it, the unicorn, the one and only grocery store that sells MOs with debit here in Southern California and it's 65 cents only!
The only downside is that they check your id to make sure the name matches on the debit card, therefore GCM/GC are the only places to get your cards.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
I finally found it, the unicorn, the one and only grocery store that sells MOs with debit here in Southern California and it's 65 cents only!
The only downside is that they check your id to make sure the name matches on the debit card, therefore GCM/GC are the only places to get your cards.
Would love to know which one. Feel free to PM. I promise I wouldn't abuse as I don't live there, but it could be nice to have as an option if I'm visiting. Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Carl
Would love to know which one. Feel free to PM. I promise I wouldn't abuse as I don't live there, but it could be nice to have as an option if I'm visiting. Thanks!
Don't do it. Just do not.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:58 pm

Slowly starting to examine the MO game here. Do I have this right?:
In theory, I would start by purchasing a $500 pin-coded-debit gift card at a grocery store that allows cc payments for GCs. There's plenty here in L.A. That would cost me about $505.
Then I find a place (perhaps post office or some WMs) that allow me to purchase a MO with a GC and do that. So a $500 MO would cost me about $502.
I then deposit the MO into my regular B of A checking account. I earned 505 miles on the initial purchase, and it cost me about $7.
Am I missing anything?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom
Slowly starting to examine the MO game here. Do I have this right?:
In theory, I would start by purchasing a $500 pin-coded-debit gift card at a grocery store that allows cc payments for GCs. There's plenty here in L.A. That would cost me about $505.
Then I find a place (perhaps post office or some WMs) that allow me to purchase a MO with a GC and do that. So a $500 MO would cost me about $502.
I then deposit the MO into my regular B of A checking account. I earned 505 miles on the initial purchase, and it cost me about $7.
Am I missing anything?
Post office no longer accepts VGCs bought at grocery stores (They are mostly Metas)
Try using a card that earns more than 1pt per dollar spent.
MO costs 70 cents at WM, not $2.
Some WM cashiers will ask to see your card and straight up deny you if it doesn't have your name on it.
Use GCM and a cash portal to recoup your costs and have your name on the VGC.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:35 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Indeed they are dead and buried, but on a rare occasion you can find one fresh out of the grave, but they typically do not remain long as zombies.

Originally Posted by chipcollector
Are these stores now back "on-line" for purchasing MO's with Gebit?

Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.