Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Where to buy money orders with prepaid/gift cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Please read this thread for help with Debit cards: PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards

Many stores that accept Gebit for regular purchases will not accept Gebit for a MO purchase.

Supermarket chain policy varies by region, and even by store to store within the same region.
e.g. Kr0g3r may allow such in the South and Southeast, but does not in West, Southwest, Northwest, etc

Publix & Walmart & Winn Dixie = NO auto drain.
Publix & Walmart allow splits

Places that sell MO (need more DPs):

Supermarket and Grocery Stores:
Walmart
Shoprite (?)
Stop & Shop
Weis (cash only)
Wegmans (?)

Drug Stores:
CVS (?)
Rite Aids (acquired by Walgreens)
Walgreens
​​​​​​​
Convenience Stores:
7-11 (?)
QuickChek (?)
Wawa (?)
Print Wikipost

Where to buy money orders with prepaid/gift cards?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Hisma
(HEB). It was rejected for MO purchase at the same supermarket's service center
The Matrix is learning and has implemented a 60 minute delay against same location usage.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
The Matrix is learning and has implemented a 60 minute delay against same location usage.
I assume you're being cheeky here, but I did think about the fact that there could be a required delay on same location usage. Similar to how I had to wait 2-3 hours before I could activate several ebay GCs I purchased a while back.
The OVGC I converted to MO previously was nearly identical to the one I used today so I was shocked when it was rejected.

So if I tried again tomorrow is it safe to say it'd work? Or did I trigger some sort of fraud protection when I unsuccessfully tried to use it?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: "You are now known as the Lebron James of DYKWIA/Delta/FT" -Thoiboi
Disappointed to confirm my local Winn Dixie and Publix stores in South Florida are both dead for buying WU MO using VGC. CS reps are all asking to see cards and refusing to sell if the debit card is not "bank issued"(???) & does not have your name on it.

Really quite a shame, B/C these same Winn Dixie and Publix stores were selling me all the MO I could afford using VGC as a payment method earlier this year.

I've had similar issues with HT in the mid atlantic region

Too bad esp. considering that the WU MO terminal and the POS cash registers don't even talk to each other....some band aid enforcement policy they've pieced together here...let's see how long it takes for CSR's to unlearn this latest training from WU.....more liquidation avenues are always helpful to MS activity
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:32 am

forget it, I think I'm just gonna try to buy an MO at the post office tomorrow. I have one literally right across the street from my office
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by nistah
Disappointed to confirm my local Winn Dixie and Publix stores in South Florida are both dead for buying WU MO using VGC. CS reps are all asking to see cards and refusing to sell if the debit card is not "bank issued"(???) & does not have your name on it.

Really quite a shame, B/C these same Winn Dixie and Publix stores were selling me all the MO I could afford using VGC as a payment method earlier this year.
I'm surprised that there aren't any cashiers who remember you and will still sell to you. The store must have been defrauded pretty bad (and weren't able to specifically pinpoint on camera which individual did the transactions?). That's a pretty standard problem in bigger cities, unfortunately.. :/

I've never had much luck in Publix in South FL, but have been reasonably okay with WD..
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:25 pm

I don't understand how PIN-enabled GC debit cards present any greater risk to the MO-selling merchant than "regular" debit cards.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by tuphat
I don't understand how PIN-enabled GC debit cards present any greater risk to the MO-selling merchant than "regular" debit cards.
There's apparently much more chance that they could be stolen. As crazy as that sounds given that they have to activated at the register, it clearly does happen since people report buying cards that end up somehow having the balance depleted between time of purchase and redemption.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by tuphat
There is no logic when it comes to management -- whether at floor level grocery store, senior level at Target, or executive level at AA. Most decisions are a knee jerk reaction to something or short term in nature.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Data point for Kroger. Cincinnati Region allows Gebit MO purchase, Dayton Region does not.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:17 am

Hey guys. Today I bought a variable Load OVGC (this is all they carried) for $500 at my local supermarket (HEB). It was rejected for MO purchase at the same supermarket's service center. I tried several times but got rejected every time.
Couple questions -
1. Is this normal? This is my second time buying a MO at that store. The first time I also used a OVGC, but it was bought at a different locations (WG). I was able to purchase the MO just fine with it.
2. How can I liquidate this thing? Redbird is dead, and serve can't load OVGCs. Can WM accept OVGC for MOs? Worst case I can use as a normal debit card for online purchases but I'd prefer to avoid that.

Thanks!
I'm curious as to how you got an OV using a credit card at HEB as they are hardcoded to deny CC purchases of VGCs.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by littleconsumer
I'm curious as to how you got an OV using a credit card at HEB as they are hardcoded to deny CC purchases of VGCs.
is that so? I can say with 100% certainty it went without a hitch. I mixed it with my other grocery purchases so perhaps that helped? I bought it w/ a hilton amex surpass. Was a variable load 20-500$ in a grey package. Bunker Hill store.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:18 pm

successfully converted the $500 OVGC I bought from HEB to MO at the local postoffice. Painless process, though the fee there is relatively high. I do my weekly grocery shopping at HEB so this will be an easy light addition to my current MS strategies.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by nistah

"'tis better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all."

I went about two years with a local grocery store chain selling me $1000 MO's using a credit card. With a 5% cash back card it was like printing $50 bills for 95 cents! With more than a dozen stores in close proximity to my home, office, and client facilities there was effectively no limit to how many I could get. Then one day... no more.

Also have a local pharmacy where my Barclay Arrival Mastercard (but no other CCs) works for MO's with the righ cashiers... but I tread very lightly there as they are squirrely.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:09 pm

successfully converted the $500 OVGC I bought from HEB to MO at the local postoffice. Painless process, though the fee there is relatively high. I do my weekly grocery shopping at HEB so this will be an easy light addition to my current MS strategies.
For some reason I thought it wasn't possible to use any type of GC to purchase a MO at the post office.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by fish3d
For some reason I thought it wasn't possible to use any type of GC to purchase a MO at the post office.
funny, I managed to bust 2 myths with my recent GC purchase
- HEB is not hard-coded against buying GCs with CC. It must be on a store-by-store basis.
- It's possible to buy MOs from the Post Office (though I got that info from earlier in this thread so most should know this). $1.25 for $500 or less, $1.65 for $500.01 to $1,000.00. Guy behind the counter did not bat an eyelash when I asked him to make a MO for $498.75. I just swiped and was off ~15 seconds later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.