Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Where to buy money orders with prepaid/gift cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Please read this thread for help with Debit cards: PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards

Many stores that accept Gebit for regular purchases will not accept Gebit for a MO purchase.

Supermarket chain policy varies by region, and even by store to store within the same region.
e.g. Kr0g3r may allow such in the South and Southeast, but does not in West, Southwest, Northwest, etc

Publix & Walmart & Winn Dixie = NO auto drain.
Publix & Walmart allow splits

Places that sell MO (need more DPs):

Supermarket and Grocery Stores:
Walmart
Shoprite (?)
Stop & Shop
Weis (cash only)
Wegmans (?)

Drug Stores:
CVS (?)
Rite Aids (acquired by Walgreens)
Walgreens
​​​​​​​
Convenience Stores:
7-11 (?)
QuickChek (?)
Wawa (?)
Print Wikipost

Where to buy money orders with prepaid/gift cards?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:21 pm

Yeah, I have considered chatting with the manager, but our MS transactions are high risk low reward for them. They have no motivation whatsoever to accept them. They are much better off letting the normal WM clients to load $50 to their Green Dot card for $4.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
Their motivation is we're the customer, who they exist to serve. The only issue I've ever had moving cards has been technical.

By the way, I wasn't joking about the underwear. Once while I was getting paper the Chatty Cathies were talking about it. The customer insisted they take it back, and they did (I'm not sure if they smiled, that bit was poetic license).
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tuphat
Staring at the PIN pad and just ignoring their question usually works for me. I also make a practice of hiding the card behind an open wallet so they can't see it.

If an employee demanded to swipe my card him/her self, I would refuse or demand to see a supervisor. Self swipes are a key fraud prevention tool, to combat skimming, etc. Besides, are they also going to demand to enter my PIN for me?
They wont ask you for your pin, they will simply tell you to enter it on the pad we usually use. At least thats what happened to me twice,I had no problems handing over my DC since that what it was my MVD DC

Now if I was trying to use the reg GCs thats something else,I wouldnt ask for a supervisor, nor make a scene. Id simply say something about not being comfortable if I cant swipe it on the reg pad and will simply go elsewhere. Unless you dont expect to go back there any more its best to walk out on good terms and keep the mgrs out of it all, that way the next time you walk in (after a week or so) they wont remember you. Cause a scene and kiss that store good-bye
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by cashback
Yeah, I have considered chatting with the manager, but our MS transactions are high risk low reward for them. They have no motivation whatsoever to accept them. They are much better off letting the normal WM clients to load $50 to their Green Dot card for $4.
Just to elaborate on the inconsistency you will experience from WM to WM. One WM treats me like a criminal and will not take any transactions from me, while I called another "in the sticks" and they have never heard of BB, they asked if I meant "Blue Dot." I said "Does the ATM you have say WM Express?" they said Yes. So hopefully I can run a lot through them, even though they are 20 miles out of the way.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Originally Posted by cashback
Quote:

Originally Posted by godsquare

I really don't think so. I really think that those guys do this just to protect their own a$$. There might be some exceptions though.

This. You'd be surprised at the things cashiers can be fired for. I don't mind getting turned down. I usually just play dumb and don't cause a fuss. I would hate for someone to lose their job over me trying to MS.
That is very kind.

Some of them depend on that job and are treated badly by some customers. I have witnessed serious verbal abuse by dirtbags posing as customers. Good thing most WM here have cops

These employees are trying to do their job the best they can. Some may not be the brightest star in the sky but they deserve to be treated fairly.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by craz
There are some GCs that dont have 'gift' written all over it and when I handed that to them they simply swiped it w/o any questions.
I was wondering whether those would pass inspection.

There are cards that say "Gift Card" and others that say "... Prepaid Visa Card". Intersting, those latter ones are more expensive to buy, but I'm still totally fine with it to meet minimum spend as long as it means not too much effort in finding a place to sell me a MO for it.

Do you have actual positive experience of them accepting the "Prepaid" cards after their inspection?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:49 am
Original Poster

PayPal and BB have been very easy for MS for me lately, but I need some extra spend to meet the minimum spend on a couple of Southwest Airlines CCs. So, I'm sitting on some gift cards and it has proven difficult liquidating them. I'm not too concerned yet about eventually finding a place that will take them, but it's reaching a point where it's taking up too much of my time and gas.

I'm even considering loading Google Wallet with my Southwest CCs in order to meet the rest of the minimum spend. Any other ideas?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by lacuadra
That is very kind.

Some of them depend on that job and are treated badly by some customers. I have witnessed serious verbal abuse by dirtbags posing as customers. Good thing most WM here have cops

These employees are trying to do their job the best they can. Some may not be the brightest star in the sky but they deserve to be treated fairly.
Had this happen on my most recent WM trip. Idiot guy in front of me thought someone had cut him in line and the cashier took that someone ahead of IG. IG proceeded to complain quite loudly to the point where one of his companions decided to go shopping elsewhere in the store to wait for him. He then went so far as to tell the cashier that the people behind the desk "don't act human". Yes, all because one person "may" have been taken for assistance before he was. I've also heard (at various times) every single word in the book thrown at customer service people, including a compound profanity consisting of two six-letter words that share the same middle two letters.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
Originally Posted by FlyingExplorer
There are cards that say "Gift Card" and others that say "... Prepaid Visa Card". Intersting, those latter ones are more expensive to buy

Do you have actual positive experience of them accepting the "Prepaid" cards after their inspection?
Yes, see my story above. The apothecary charges the same for embossed "prepaid" and printed "gift" cards.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
I have no problems in DC purchasing MOs from WM, keep in mind the WM I go to is 2 months old and there is a new one that just popped up near where I live.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cuebert
Yes, see my story above. The apothecary charges the same for embossed "prepaid" and printed "gift" cards.
Ok,. thanks for sharing this. I will make sure only to get the prepaid-labeled ones from the Apotheke.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:32 am

Any other ideas?
FWIW - I had pretty good success using cc to purchase the Sunrise $500 pp cards at WM. Downside is 1 pp card per transaction, and potential for cashier freaking if you buy more than 2 or so at a time. Worth it to me because Navy FCU is giving 3X points right now at WM.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
So, here's the deal with WM. All the employees (and to a higher degree the store management team) get a bonus based on how closely the actual sales and profit compare to the budgeted sales and profit. In some cases, a few thousand dollars of lost profit can mean the difference between getting a bonus and getting nothing at all at an individual store level. Seeing these transactions, without understanding the purpose, could cause a CSR, who has a good enough understanding of the bonus structure and where their store stands, to be afraid of missing out on that extra cash that goes directly into their pocket.

Explaining that you use your card to buy a lot of money orders for all your expenses, such as rent, utilities, mortgage, paying the nanny/dog-walker/pool cleaner, etc. is usually enough to put their minds at ease with you as a frequent MO purchaser. They also need to understand that the risk level for PIN-based purchases is extremely low to their store. Occasionally you will encounter one of those "last line of defense" people that just seem to be on some sort of power trip. Often best to just use the old hang up and call back / walk away and come back later method.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cuebert
many other places carry these as well, For me a DS earns me 1x, while the others will earn me 2x.Si I havent gotten any at a DS
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:19 am
Suspended

I was wondering whether those would pass inspection.

There are cards that say "Gift Card" and others that say "... Prepaid Visa Card". Intersting, those latter ones are more expensive to buy, but I'm still totally fine with it to meet minimum spend as long as it means not too much effort in finding a place to sell me a MO for it.

Ive had them accept many from me, if they do anything it was a very quick glance.Could be w/o seeing the Gift written all over it they assumed it was a reg DC

I would imagine for the next month all theyd want to do is get everyone taken care of 1-2-3. Only twice was I able to get to the counter in < 2 mins its usually a nice long wait, with each person taking forever since its basically all Returns.They brought something and then either dont want it or found it cheaper somewhere else

This is where the MVD comes in very handy as I get 2 $1ks with 1 swipe. I would think having to do 4x @ $500 to unload the GCs would get them annoyed, as it doesnt help move the line. Just dont even think of going by day on Sat or Sun. The max I do with the GCs are 2 and even when I ask for the 2nd MO their eyes roll and say why didnt you do it all together, wasnt gonna try for #3 or 4, instead its back into the car and drive another 10 mins max to another Wally

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.