Risk of Loss in MS [Consolidated]

Old Jul 25, 2013, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
--snip--
+1, routine is key. I've got purchase routines, PIN routines, card accounting routines, storage routines, etc...
Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:17 am

This is going to sound a little OCD, but you have to train yourself to do things the same way every time until it becomes second nature.

For example, when I'm loading my BB's at the kiosk, I have set steps (unused GCs in right pocket, used in left, wallet, BB, and GC in play in my hands), go thru each and every step with evey gift card before moving on to the next one (place loaded GC in left pocket, grab receipt, pocket receipt, then and only then grab new GC). It has to be a ritual. It's so easy to doze off standing there that you have to hope that your rote memory takes over and alerts you when a step is missed. It's saved me a number of times when the machine misbehaves.

Same thing with every other step and method in your game. Drill it into your brain so that you don't forget a step.

I've also purchased money bags (you know, the old blue plastic thingies) at OD (natch) in which I store stuff that are in various states. Unused gift cards in one. Credit cards in another. Stuff going to the bank in a third. You just have to be super organized and s-l-o-w down - there's no rush. Stop if something seems not right.
+2
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:36 am
Suspended

This is going to sound a little OCD, but you have to train yourself to do things the same way every time until it becomes second nature.

For example, when I'm loading my BB's at the kiosk, I have set steps (unused GCs in right pocket, used in left, wallet, BB, and GC in play in my hands), go thru each and every step with evey gift card before moving on to the next one (place loaded GC in left pocket, grab receipt, pocket receipt, then and only then grab new GC). It has to be a ritual. It's so easy to doze off standing there that you have to hope that your rote memory takes over and alerts you when a step is missed. It's saved me a number of times when the machine misbehaves.

Same thing with every other step and method in your game. Drill it into your brain so that you don't forget a step.

I've also purchased money bags (you know, the old blue plastic thingies) at OD (natch) in which I store stuff that are in various states. Unused gift cards in one. Credit cards in another. Stuff going to the bank in a third. You just have to be super organized and s-l-o-w down - there's no rush. Stop if something seems not right.
+10. Trust me, I am doing the same routine at wally world with all the $200 gift cards (managing 4 BB accounts, so around $20K). I never lost a single GC but in this case of VR, I let it slip while waiting for office space to be re-organized.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:25 am

I lost my vanilla reload card

Over the weekend, i bought 2x$500 vanilla reload cards at CVS, and i lost one of them. I called the number on the back of vanilla card and they told me they treat the card as cash, there is no way to recovery or stop payment on the card. they also asked if i have the card serial no. which i don't have, there is only last 4 number of the card printed on the CVS receipt. I called Chase (the credit card i used for purchase) and they told me since this is instore purchase and it's a giftcard, they can't dispute the charge or claim insurance. I called CVS to ask them stop the payment to vanilla, they took my information and call me back within 10 business days.
Is there anyone has the same situation? what i need to do?
thanks in advance.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:44 am

The only thing you need to do is accept the fact that you are out $500.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by cashback
The only thing you need to do is accept the fact that you are out $500.
you're 99% corrected. Thanks for your advice.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by wagon297
Over the weekend, i bought 2x$500 vanilla reload cards at CVS, and i lost one of them. I called the number on the back of vanilla card and they told me they treat the card as cash, there is no way to recovery or stop payment on the card. they also asked if i have the card serial no. which i don't have, there is only last 4 number of the card printed on the CVS receipt. I called Chase (the credit card i used for purchase) and they told me since this is instore purchase and it's a giftcard, they can't dispute the charge or claim insurance. I called CVS to ask them stop the payment to vanilla, they took my information and call me back within 10 business days.
thanks in advance.
I always have the fear of losing VR card(s) after purchase. We make all the trips/ effort to earn $100 dollars (after VR fee for 5K purchase) and it sucks losing $500. Sad. I hope you find some way out to block your card.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:07 am
Suspended

Unfortunately OP, its as if you used your CC for a cash advance from an ATM and withdrew $500. Later on that day when you reached into your pocket, it wasn't there. No bank,Govt or CC issuer will do anything about it. Its your loss VRs(GCs) are no different then cash, its a bearer instrument

At least you didn't lose both of them
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: AA, UA, US
i still dont get it why do we hold the VR, why not just load it up while you walk from the cashier to the car
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by oohaahouch
i still dont get it why do we hold the VR, why not just load it up while you walk from the cashier to the car
Because i'm an idiot.......do you know 31 is the last day of the month? and i alway hit $5k/month reload limit at the the 5th day of the month.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oohaahouch
Not everyone has a smartphone for 1, 2nd on my netbook after you input the card# and pin and click submit,the "Accept" box doesn't show up on my screen so since that cant be clicked it wont complete the transaction, need my PC.

Im sure there are other reasons as well
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:28 am

Because i'm an idiot.......do you know 31 is the last day of the month? and i alway hit $5k/month reload limit at the the 5th day of the month.
An expensive lesson learned.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:34 am

Re netbook, install a better browser. They're all free.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:44 am

Even though the CVS receipt has only the last 4 digits of the card, CVS does have the full account number. After some research, they should be able (and willing) to find it and give it to you.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:49 am

thanks in advance.
I was on the other side of the equation back in May and I asked a similar question to both the card "processor" and the store where I presumed it was purchased (found it lot outside store in parking lot). I assumed the card had never been loaded and someone "stole it". Well in fact it was loaded. Store took my name/number down in case the person returned (never was contacted again by store). Called card processor to see if they could contact owner or put hold on card. Card processor told me that they could not track who purchased the card, and that they could put a "hold" on the card if I faxed in a copy of back of card and the 10 digits on bottom. Based on discussions with card processor, I determined that you can put a "freeze" on card, but you better hurry before money is removed (once money is removed, and without copy of card and receipt, they told me "good luck").

Here is what you will need I was told when I was dealing with them with different circumstances: (i) 10 digit code on bottom of card, (ii) store transaction log (you can have Chse request this), it will show actual 10-digit card loaded, amount, purchase method, time, location, method of signature, etc.), (iii) notarized affidavit that the card was lost/stolen and that you want the card frozen. Hope this helps. Btw - tread lightly with Chse since they could decide to shut you down if you push too hard on your request or explain why you want request.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.