Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 18, 13, 11:34 am   #1
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Posts: 64
Official CVS Vanilla Reload policy?

Does anyone have a link to an official CVS policy regarding Vanilla Reload cards? I am looking for both daily $ transaction limit, and policy on accepting credit cards for these purchases.

I had read about the $5,000 limit, but can't find an official policy.

I went to my local CVS today, and was told he limit was $1,000. Additionally, despite a sticker on the cash register that specifically states "Only cash accepted for debit cards; cash or credit cards accepted for other prepaid cards", I was told that they wouldn't accept a credit card "just to be safe" even though the sign said otherwise.
NavyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 13, 11:37 am   #2
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DCA
Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Posts: 310
I do not have official policies but I regularly do $5k purchases. Some clerks hesitate but I ask for a manager which usually clears things up. If the manager says $1k limit I do not argue and just go to the next CVS or wait until the next day.
The registers are programmed for $5k/day per ID.
fjord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 13, 11:49 am   #3
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: AS, AA, UR, SPG,
Posts: 95
Damnnn. 5K per day. I wish I could buy a $500 at Cvs with my credit card. Every time I try it's always "cash only"...and they look at me funny, like I'm forger or something... it's so discouraging. I just meet spend for bonus sign ups..

Can anybody in the Bay Area share share Cvs that allow you to use credit card to buy VR?
Elmatador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 13, 11:56 am   #4
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Posts: 64
I would have taken the $1k but he wouldn't let me use CC at all despite the sticker plastered on the register
NavyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 13, 12:09 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Posts: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmatador View Post
Damnnn. 5K per day. I wish I could buy a $500 at Cvs with my credit card. Every time I try it's always "cash only"...and they look at me funny, like I'm forger or something... it's so discouraging. I just meet spend for bonus sign ups..

Can anybody in the Bay Area share share Cvs that allow you to use credit card to buy VR?
There are a lot of CVS. Just keep trying. Sometimes same store different shifts works.
rdover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 13, 1:27 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: All of them!
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDoc View Post
Does anyone have a link to an official CVS policy regarding Vanilla Reload cards? I am looking for both daily $ transaction limit, and policy on accepting credit cards for these purchases.

I had read about the $5,000 limit, but can't find an official policy.

I went to my local CVS today, and was told he limit was $1,000. Additionally, despite a sticker on the cash register that specifically states "Only cash accepted for debit cards; cash or credit cards accepted for other prepaid cards", I was told that they wouldn't accept a credit card "just to be safe" even though the sign said otherwise.
Sometimes arguing with them about what the red sticker or corporate policy says works, most of the time it doesn't. Try a different store. Once you find one that works and become a regular who is known to the employees that work there, it will be smooth sailing. I think the CVS employees who give you trouble just can't imagine a legitimate reason for wanting to buy these cards with credit, and so they assume you must be up to no good.

At my usual CVS there is a piece of paper on a bulletin board behind the register that explains the corporate policy and $5k limit.
Lemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 13, 3:02 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 188
no official policy, just some guidance and suggestion to each store in each region, 5000 is the maximum, but each store can decide their limit between 1K-5K
lisa2926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 13, 3:16 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: AS, AA, UR, SPG,
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdover1 View Post
There are a lot of CVS. Just keep trying. Sometimes same store different shifts works.
Do you ask them if you can pay with credit card or do you proceed as normal and wait till you hear the dreaded it's cash only...?

I often find that they've already rang it up, and now need a void from someone higher up...

if it's cash only, they should tell you before they ring it. I have had cashier tell me... just use your debit card... I just smirk and say no thanks...
Elmatador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 13, 3:30 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Empire State
Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjord View Post
The registers are programmed for $5k/day per ID.
Ditto. Note that MPs at CVS (yellow on back), unlike those at RA (red on back), are cash only here.
cuebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 13, 6:44 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 19,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemma View Post
Sometimes arguing with them about what the red sticker or corporate policy says works, most of the time it doesn't. Try a different store. Once you find one that works and become a regular who is known to the employees that work there, it will be smooth sailing. I think the CVS employees who give you trouble just can't imagine a legitimate reason for wanting to buy these cards with credit, and so they assume you must be up to no good.

At my usual CVS there is a piece of paper on a bulletin board behind the register that explains the corporate policy and $5k limit.
While waiting for a family member to finish their Dr apt, I walked into 3 CVs for the 1st time.

#1 didnt want to sell me any with a CC was too scared her words, her fellow employee said just do it.Mgr finally came and said its ca$h only but since she started to do the 1st one (they didnt know I had a few others in hand) to let it go but check his ID, she wanted to scan my iD for 1 @ $500 but I said the transaction already went thru and its not corp policy.

Store 2 only had 2 got them no flack

Store #3 says only the mgr can sell them as each transaction needs a mgr code to be processed, mgr stepped out

Store #4 an oldie for me in and out with 4 and asked if I wanted any more

Each VR purchased with 1 CC so #2 I used 2 CCs and #4 4 CCs

Its getting to be like a slot machine you never know if it will be goose eggs or the jackpot. But I love the reasons they give me why their policy is what it is. Then again I want to use multiple CCs since I dont want it all to be due at the same time and I need them in order to pay my Ex her due w/o her getting to know my bank info if I sent a check My reg Cvs feel bad for me with how my Ex is constantly draining me
__________________
If it aint Broken, I'll Fix it
craz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 13, 7:09 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,534
I'd think stores can set whatever stricter policy they want.
rrgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 13, 7:25 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 96
When they went to $5K policy, one store near me immediately adopted it and I started throwing all of my business to them. Even made friends with manager so he'll order more. At one point, he ran dry so I visited the other and someone had put a sticker on the monitor that said $1K/day. They had seen the memo lifting the limit to $5K, but this stupid post-it note was trumping corporate policy. I finally got the manager to just try $1500 one day and she was like "hmm, it worked". They'll now do $2K for me, but that's it. I have to educate these suckers on their own corp policy.

I just went back to the friendly CVS and begged the manager to never run out and never make me go deal with the PITA store again.
thewire76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 13, 7:36 pm   #13
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 267
Arguing with cashiers about the limit, telling them that different CVSs do things differently, threatening to complain to a manager or to corporate, telling them that members of a internet forum all buy 5k per day, these are all things that you will sorely regret doing.
Smiling, asking the cashier if they have weekend plans, being polite, these are things that you will never regret doing.
Best thing you can do is be polite, abide by the cashier's stated limits, and try again for what you want the next time you are in the store.
BarnyardRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 13, 7:53 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Programs: UA/CO, SPG, Hyatt
Posts: 141
Yes, please do not ruin this by trying to strongarm them. That is exactly the kind of action that raises eyebrows and gets this too much unwanted attention.
kyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 13, 10:19 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Murica
Posts: 315
We should write google reviews for each location indicating which stores are good and which have dbag managers. Make sure your reviews are cryptic.
jewsus is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:44 pm.