Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Grocery Store, Gas Station Opportunities in CA and Southeast?

Old Nov 5, 2013, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

Living in the Bay Area, it seems that in the frequently-bonused grocery store category, only outer suburban Safeways sell GCs on CCs. I'm not aware of any gas station (another bonused category) that sells decent GCs on CCs since the short-lived 7/11 fling (I'm not counting low-value GCs and those from subpar banks - they need to be $200 or more Visas from Metabank, Vanilla, etc.)

Please feel free to PM me if you know of anything.

Also, we'll be heading to Tennessee shortly for a long weekend. Any opportunities there, and in the Southeast generally?

Thanks....
Old Nov 5, 2013, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Explore
Living in the Bay Area, it seems that in the frequently-bonused grocery store category, only outer suburban Safeways sell GCs on CCs. I'm not aware of any gas station (another bonused category) that sells decent GCs on CCs since the short-lived 7/11 fling (I'm not counting low-value GCs and those from subpar banks - they need to be $200 or more Visas from Metabank, Vanilla, etc.)

Also, we'll be heading to Tennessee shortly for a long weekend. Any opportunities there, and in the Southeast generally?

Thanks....
7-Elevens are still hit and miss. I found it worth it to keep checking around.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Wonko
7-Elevens are still hit and miss. I found it worth it to keep checking around.
Have you seen a $200 or more high quality GC at a 7/11, other than VR which is locked out at the register?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
I have scouted 10-15 7-11's in the east bay (Onevanilla $500 cards) and only 1 sold me a couple of times. When I went in there recently, the cashier called his boss and they allowed me to get 1 and took a copy of my license, CC etc. I will not be going to that store any more.

Have you seen a $200 or more high quality GC at a 7/11, other than VR which is locked out at the register?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:18 pm

7-11 is off limits here in FL
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:33 pm

Thanks....
couple 7-11 in Milpitas sell me VR with cc, but they do question if I buy more then $1000
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:59 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott

I have 2 solid locations in SoCal that never question my $500 GC purchases. One doesn't even ask me for ID any more. Quick and easy.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:37 pm

Yes, I have three sources of $500 OneVanillas. Offhand I'd guesstimate that's about 25% of the 7-Elevens I've checked.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:15 am

Indeed - keep searching, 7-11 is still a go. That said, at 2% it is a really slow slog to get big MS
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

So how about some grocery store and gas station alternatives? There's got to be more than 7/11 and certain Safeways.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 3:59 pm

Well that depends. Luckys is great. But some cards have different options. Amex will not work with 7-11 as gas, but it does see it as grocery. Wells fargo is very picky on what is grocery.

For most visa cards, use the Visa category checker. Unfortunately, that tool does not exist for Amex
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raccah
Well that depends. Luckys is great. But some cards have different options. Amex will not work with 7-11 as gas, but it does see it as grocery. Wells fargo is very picky on what is grocery.
Luckys is no go everywhere (in CA at least). No CC purchases of financial services gift cards.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
I have found nothing in the inland/north county area of San Diego. If anybody knows and wants to PM me, much appreciated.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:03 pm

So how about some grocery store and gas station alternatives? There's got to be more than 7/11 and certain Safeways.
Not that I've found yet. Food Maxx said cash only, but she had to think about it so I may try again with a different cashier. SaveMart may be worth a shot - they're hardcoded for VRs but I haven't tried a GC yet. Raley's/BelAir/Nob Hill/Food Source only have $200 GCs so I haven't bothered to try. Haven't found any gas stations that sell anything better than $200s with an outrageous $7.95 fee.

Granted I haven't looked very hard for alternatives since I have several convenient and reliable Safeways around.

On a related note which may help you liquidate - Raley's/Bel Air/Nob Hill take debit cards for money orders and they currently come with a coupon for $1 off your next $10 purchase, so if you shop there anyway then the MO is free.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:42 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Wonko
On a related note which may help you liquidate - Raley's/Bel Air/Nob Hill take debit cards for money orders and they currently come with a coupon for $1 off your next $10 purchase, so if you shop there anyway then the MO is free.
Speaking of buying MOs, has anyone found places besides Walmart that allow you to split tender for a MO without too much hassle? My local supermarkets (Vons and Albertsons) either can't split it over multiple cards, or they want to see the actual card and then reject it because it doesn't have a name.

Any other data points?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.