Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAA - no processing fee giftcards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ntjane66
Went back to get more gc. Told by clerk they process as cash advance. I will have to check account.
That's what all the csr reps are supposed to say from every company buying any GC anywhere.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by TTnC4me
That's what all the csr reps are supposed to say from every company buying any GC anywhere.
I got online and checked my account. I did chase. Still appears as pending but cash advance is still at 0.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the Scan, i will try it tomorrow in New York
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:11 pm

It works in no. va. got 1gc paid with cc called number for pin and then bought mo from wm. no fee for gc if buy at AAA store
Are you a AAA member?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
A general request for anyone posting in this thread about your experience:

PLEASE state in your post where (what state) you are in. That will help many avoid getting unnecessarily cranked up (or bummed out) and much wasted time.

Thank you. And now, back to grousing about United's devaluation...
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:04 pm

Yes i am a member. They do Ask for the AAA card and they do enter the number in the computer. Live in VA near DC
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Yes i am a member. They do Ask for the AAA card and they do enter the number in the computer. Live in VA near DC
Would share which location you used? PM is fine if desired. I called the Fairfax location today and the person I talked to didn't know anything, and I didn't have time to argue.

Also, has anyone successfully ordered one online? I tried but is said in-store only. I am in VA, AAA Midatlantic.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I missing something here? Assuming you can only get Amex GCs as was reported and pictured, how is an Amex GC any easier to liquidate than just a regular credit card?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by josephstern
Am I missing something here? Assuming you can only get Amex GCs as was reported and pictured, how is an Amex GC any easier to liquidate than just a regular credit card?
Yeah that's my question too. Unless there's some sort of category bonus that anyone is fairly certain of, this seems mostly useless to me.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
My location in Northern Virginia sold me a visa gift card that I was able to get a pin number for and then buy a mo at wm. I am waiting for the charge to move from pending so I can see how it posts.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:08 am
Original Poster

No luck for now.

I was told by my New York local office that they do this every year towards end of November for the Christmas Holiday
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by stimulus
No luck for now.

I was told by my New York local office that they do this every year towards end of November for the Christmas Holiday
I checked out my local AAA office and in fact have the Nov/Dec issue of "Going Places" and there is nothing about gift cards whatsoever. I checked on line through the same magazine source which includes multiple states and auto clubs (clubs which by the way can be very local i.e one for Akron Ohio and another for Canton, Oh., only 20 miles down the road) and there was nothing here as well.

When I went to my local office, they reiterated what was said above, that they do sell these without fees but only for several weeks at the end of Nov/Dec. I will keep checking back to see if that is indeed the case. So for now at this time, it appears to be a very localized situation.

BTW, AAA is far more than an insurance company for towing and well worth the admission price if you are doing any serious traveling using hotels and rental cars.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 3:25 pm

Google metabank "fee free" site:aaa.com

Similar promo earlier this year per google's cache. I think this is South Jersey only (unless that's the only site that google can crawl).
Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
It is real, at least in Georga

I went to my local AAA office here in the Atlanta area yesterday. The person working knew about the fee free deal and confirmed that they were selling Visa gift cards. I bought quite a few using my Delta Platinum Amex (I need a few more MQMs this year to requalify for Diamond). Went home and called the 800 number to get a PIN assigned to each one, no problem. Went to a local Walmart, the MoneyCenter kiosk was shut off, so I went to the counter and successfully deposited into my Bluebird account as well as made a bill payment to Amex. I then went to a second WalMart to see if their MoneyCenter machine was working, it was not, but also was able to go to the counter and send the rest of my gc balance as bill pay.

The deal is real, and it works.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by bross
I went to my local AAA office here in the Atlanta area yesterday. The person working knew about the fee free deal and confirmed that they were selling Visa gift cards. I bought quite a few using my Delta Platinum Amex (I need a few more MQMs this year to requalify for Diamond). Went home and called the 800 number to get a PIN assigned to each one, no problem. Went to a local Walmart, the MoneyCenter kiosk was shut off, so I went to the counter and successfully deposited into my Bluebird account as well as made a bill payment to Amex. I then went to a second WalMart to see if their MoneyCenter machine was working, it was not, but also was able to go to the counter and send the rest of my gc balance as bill pay.

The deal is real, and it works.
How Amex categorizes it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.