Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAA - no processing fee giftcards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:16 pm

does every AAA sell these regardless of the promo? I tried at my local branch (larger sized one) a year or so ago and they looked at me like i was asking for some product from mars.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
No, every AAA does not offer them. You have to call and ask first.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: UA
$500 Limit

I thought this was funny. I went to my local mid-atlantic office and asked to buy 3 $500 GC. I was told that there was a limit of 2 $500 cards, but I could get a smaller amount on the third card. Since there was no fee and I didn't want to appear too greedy, I said $250. No problem.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:09 am

I dropped by an AAA branch in Atlanta and inquired - CS said they only run this promotion in winter. If anyone in the Atl has a different experience, let me know.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:14 am

Same. Called a branch in central TX and was told they offered it in December but not now.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Titanium, National Car Exec Elite
Just found out the Scarsdale, NY office stopped selling Visa GCs all together; only Amex GCs available now.

They used to do the VGC promo in both winter and summer, and had a $10k limit per day. Sad news.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by troydwhite
Just found out the Scarsdale, NY office stopped selling Visa GCs all together; only Amex GCs available now.

They used to do the VGC promo in both winter and summer, and had a $10k limit per day. Sad news.
Same in NYC/Queens new location. As the employee told me, They've stopped selling VGC some time ago and the promotion is for Amex anyway but since I came less than an hour from closing they won't even sell me an Amex as if I was going to buy..
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
On the east coast the only club selling them no fee are the AAA Midatlantic office. You can google them to see the locations. It is until the end of the month and they limit to 1000.00 total per member (household members can buy but total per membership number is 1k)
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: motor club
Smile urbanpolitic.com

Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, please feel free to move if so.

Saw this on slickdeals -www.urbanpolitic.com
this is better than this aaa stuff @:-):-::-:
No $4.95 processing fee in November and December.

AAA Prepaid Giftcards

Upon further research and reading the T&C, turns out these Visa giftcards are issued by Metabank, and also PIN enabled (however, it's done over the phone?) - Terms & Conditions

Some additional info..
-NEED AAA Account
-Up to $500 per gift card available
-$2.95 shipping fee (according to slickdeals), but able to get at your local office as well - locations

So........
Possible MS???
Not sure if AAA would be considered "travel - related expense" to perhaps utilize Chase Sapphire Preferred, for example. :P[/QUOTE]
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:39 am

I called AAA office to ask about the prepaid visa card. I've been told that it may come up as cash advance on my credit card. Has anyone gotten charged as cash advance? If so which CC did you use? I'm planning to buy it with Amex Hilton Surpass card.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:42 am

I have used Arrival+, Alaska, and Citi Prestige at different times over the past year. All have coded as purchase. It just shows up at a AAA purchase.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by minamhere
I have used Arrival+, Alaska, and Citi Prestige at different times over the past year. All have coded as purchase. It just shows up at a AAA purchase.
Furthermore, I have used the Chase Hyatt card AND BBVA Compass NBA AMEX card here and both coded as purchases this month.

IMO, I think the uninformed AAA agents unintentionally or intentionally try to scare off MS'ers from buying with a CC and earning points.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:07 am

AAA limits for VGC fee-free in AAA-MidAtlantic

Originally Posted by cruisr
On the east coast the only club selling them no fee are the AAA Midatlantic office. You can google them to see the locations. It is until the end of the month and they limit to 1000.00 total per member (household members can buy but total per membership number is 1k)

I did some testing at four different AAA Mid-Atlantic locations this month, June 2016.

1. You must be AAA member to buy VGC fee-free.

2. Most AAA stores limit you to $1000/day, but it is nor hard-coded in the system; depends on the store policy. I have one store that allows $2000+/visit; have not tried higher limits to stay under the radar.

3. During the fee-free promo period, there is a $3500 limit total per AAA member IF they REGISTER THE PURCHASE to your name and AAA acct. You will know if they registered it to your name, if your name shows up on the invoice for card purchase. IF they do not register your name to the purchase, and no name on the invoice, there is no lmit in the 60-day period.
I found some stores consistently register to my name, and some do not. There is nothing you can say to the store to hope they do not register you, it seems to be local store policy, or agent's habit to allow the purchase with/without registration.

So, once you hit your $3500 cumulative purchases in the registering stores, find other ones that do not.

4. $500 GC denominations *seem* to trigger a flag to Metabank / AAA that you may be an MS'er ... so perhaps avoid this denomination.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:27 am

Are VGC purchases categorized as travel by any chance?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:46 am

Smile

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Are VGC purchases categorized as travel by any chance?
Ewan ko po!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.