Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
As of 6/19/2014, Walmart does not accept debit transactions above $49.99 from cards issued by Bancorp, namely Vanilla Visas (OV, VGC, etc.). Attempts result in "Alternate Tender Required," "Debit Not Available," and/or some other error message, at both registers and the Money Center Express (MCE, kiosk, Kate, ATM).

There is no workaround.
Print Wikipost

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by floressalicis
I just unloaded a 500 VGC. You have to do it in small increments. $90 at a time, 5 times, then a final $50. Plus Kate sometimes spazzes and will say card not accepted upon swiping. You need to wait a minute or two or use another card. It's effectively killing it though since the time it takes to unload a 500 VGC in 6 swipes is totally impractical. The extra free in using GCs from groceries trumps the pain in unloading. Or just liquidate via MO at places other than Walmart.

Thanks for the tip! I'll give this a shot when I go to the Eagan location in about 6 1/2 hours.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:50 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by PowerMan572
Thanks for the tip! I'll give this a shot when I go to the Eagan location in about 6 1/2 hours.
As I told someone else, I will caveat that I tried $500, $200 and those both failed but I did not test $100. If $100 works, or anything in between $100 and $200, you might save some swipes. I'll test this tomorrow if someone else doesn't beat me to it.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
$100 didn't work for me earlier today. I did not try any denominations under that. Will try $90 tomorrow.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by amolkold
$100 didn't work for me earlier today. I did not try any denominations under that. Will try $90 tomorrow.
I think that we know that works. Maybe try $99 and work down.

A strictly less than $100 limit would make sense.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: US/AA, UA, AS, BA, IHG, HGP
Why on earth would they limit it to <$100 for JUST the vanillas though. That seems stupid to me..

Originally Posted by sechs
I think that we know that works. Maybe try $99 and work down.

A strictly less than $100 limit would make sense.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by TMKTakot
Why on earth would they limit it to <$100 for JUST the vanillas though. That seems stupid to me..
Lol because vgc are causing them to lose $$
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: Southwest CP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by teddy25
They're going to lose MORE money if this is the workaround. I think they misunderestimate our tenacity to MS.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by WhoGoesThere
They're going to lose MORE money if this is the workaround. I think they misunderestimate our tenacity to MS.
I did Low six digits $ value of transactions this month. I will have to live in the wm parking lot @ $99.99 a swipe.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:18 am

Actually, I've been wondering about this for some time now, ever since some Wal-Marts have tried to stop us from using gift cards despite the system allowing it. Do they really lose extra money on swipe fees for VGCs? Since a PIN is used, it is processed as a regular debit card on Wal-Mart's end, and the swipe fees on PIN Debit are pretty small (unlike credit swipe fees, which is why CCs aren't allowed for these types of transactions). In any event, if they are willing to accept regular debit cards for loading/MOs and pay the swipe fee, then how are VGCs different? They are processed on the exact same PIN network, as a debit, and so should have identical swipe fees, so I'm not sure why Wal-Mart cares about processing them- unless I am missing something?

Either way, if this is the workaround- boy, is that stupid, because it will cost them MORE with all the extra transactions. I can't believe they're that dumb... maybe the law doesn't allow them to reject these GCs but does allow a transaction limit, and they don't realize that if they impose it we'll still keep going and their fees will go UP?

The other explanation is that this is all just a mistake or a glitch, and in a few days all will either be back to normal or dead completely, without the <$100 workaround. Time will tell.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:56 am

I did Low six digits $ value of transactions this month. I will have to live in the wm parking lot @ $99.99 a swipe.
I am gonna try $99.99 at a Kate tomorrow if it works.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:26 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by CtownMilesAddict
Actually, I've been wondering about this for some time now, ever since some Wal-Marts have tried to stop us from using gift cards despite the system allowing it. Do they really lose extra money on swipe fees for VGCs? Since a PIN is used, it is processed as a regular debit card on Wal-Mart's end, and the swipe fees on PIN Debit are pretty small (unlike credit swipe fees, which is why CCs aren't allowed for these types of transactions). In any event, if they are willing to accept regular debit cards for loading/MOs and pay the swipe fee, then how are VGCs different? They are processed on the exact same PIN network, as a debit, and so should have identical swipe fees, so I'm not sure why Wal-Mart cares about processing them- unless I am missing something?
My guess would be that they lose money on all of these transactions (when accounting for swipe fees, staff time, and commission to MoneyGram) but offer the service in order to attract people to the Money Center. Their bean counters probably noticed that they are attracting a lot of people who are loading BB or buying MO and not making use of other, more profitable services, and that most of these people happen to be using OV.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:49 am

Got onto a Kate as soon as the store opened this morning and did 7 swipes at $99 each before it gave an error on one of the cards. I'll go back later to finish them off but hopefully this gets resolved.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by WellsDakota
Has anybody with the decline issue called the number on the back of the card to ask what's up and see if a rep can at least see the attempted transaction? Most likely will be clueless and be of no help, but seems like it would be worth a shot.
Which card are you referring to? The error codes being reported here are generated on the BB/Serve/WM end. That is to say, the BB is not allowing the GC to be processed as a debit card for loading.

The GC will do whatever it is told, assuming:
- sufficient funds
- correct PIN
- a non "cash" transaction
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Originally Posted by nandemo1
Got onto a Kate as soon as the store opened this morning and did 7 swipes at $99 each before it gave an error on one of the cards. I'll go back later to finish them off but hopefully this gets resolved.
Well that's interesting. Appreciate the feedback!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WhoGoesThere
Hows that, I doubt many folks will want an MO for $360 max, and cashiers will be limited to the # of loads you can do to any 1 BB. Then all they need to do is shut down the few Kates that are working for a couple of weeks and bingo they solved things from their side

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.