Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iflyjetz
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Cash loading up to $1999.99/day at Walmart registers (tested by PedroNY in Post #525 and showed to not be enforced. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1501215-bluebird-prepaid-debit-now-fdic-insurance-paper-checks-2015-a-35.html#post25611848 )
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Hbax
Admitting to any employee that you're utilizing GCs can come back to bite you. You likely just pulled the pin on a grenade, you just don't know when it will go off and how close to the kill zone you'll be when it does.
So he should have lied even though she noticed it? Acting suspiciously is the fastest way to be treated with suspicion.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Ritley572
So he should have lied even though she noticed it? Acting suspiciously is the fastest way to be treated with suspicion.
She didnt ask him what he had, so there was nothing to lie about, just commented that thats what other people are using. He didnt have to respond to it at all, or couldve made a comment like oh, thats cool.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Actually, at my WM they do limit the dollar amount to $1000 per load. My WM will let me do that as many times as I want, though, in separate transactions. I've only ever done it 2x per card though (x2 cards).
Is the process similar to buying a money order? Or is there a different sequence that the cashier has to do?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
She didnt ask him what he had, so there was nothing to lie about, just commented that thats what other people are using. He didnt have to respond to it at all, or couldve made a comment like oh, thats cool.
Yep, keep telling people to act suspiciously. It's like you're trying to make people do foolish things so they'll get kicked out of stores and stop MSing.

She wouldn't have made the comment about the gift cards if she hadn't seen his. He found a cashier willing to do multiple transaction tenders for him with his gift cards and you're trying to tell him to be stand offish with her.

It's terrible advice and you should be admonished for giving it. He should do exactly what he did and seek her out like he said from now on because she will help him no questions asked. It's the perfect cashier.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:09 pm

So he should have lied even though she noticed it?
Noticed what ?

Acting suspiciously is the fastest way to be treated with suspicion.
Keeping your mouth shut is not "acting suspiciously".

She wouldn't have made the comment about the gift cards if she hadn't seen his.
Read it again:

She mentioned she has seen people loading with Visa Gift cards and I told her that's what I have

He found a cashier willing to do multiple transaction tenders for him with his gift cards and you're trying to tell him to be stand offish with her.
Nope.

Merely advised not to admit to using GCs.

It's terrible advice and you should be admonished for giving it.
You must not have done your research.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:43 pm

Noticed what ?

Keeping your mouth shut is not "acting suspiciously".

Read it again:

She mentioned she has seen people loading with Visa Gift cards and I told her that's what I have

Nope.

Merely advised not to admit to using GCs.

You must not have done your research.
Here's a tip, not just for MSing but for life in general. When someone is friendly and helpful you don't stone wall them, give them the cold shoulder, or generally act put off. That is a sure fire way to make them cautious of you and is just plain rude. It will elicit the exact response normal, well adjusted human beings would expect. It will arouse suspicion.

It's unbelievable how many people here have no interpersonal social skills. His cashier was friendly so he was friendly in return. There was no reason for him to act out of the ordinary or "keep his mouth shut" and not be friendly and personable with her. She knew exactly what was going on and she was being courteous. Be courteous in response by not acting aloof.

Some of you think you're part of the illuminati just because you know how to liquidate a gift card. Don't forget to pay your dues to the masons this year.

Look up social engineering. It's funny what people who like you will do for you and what kind of information you can get out of them. Stop pretending you're johnny on the playground who has a secret to taunt people with.

By the way, "keeping your mouth shut" when someone is making conversation with you certainly is acting suspiciously. It's a little crazy you even pretend to think otherwise.

Last edited by Ritley572; Jan 6, 2015 at 9:51 pm
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:00 am

There was no reason for him to act out of the ordinary or "keep his mouth shut" and not be friendly and personable with her.
Exactly WHO stated you should not be friendly ? What the hell does that have to do with runnin' your mouth about GCs ???

By the way, "keeping your mouth shut" when someone is making conversation with you certainly is acting suspiciously.
Keep your mouth shut ABOUT THE GCs. That's all.

Again, exactly WHO stated you should remain completely mute ? What, you can't have a friendly pleasant conversation with a cashier without spillin' the beans that you're attempting to do what many WMs have BANNED ?

It's a little crazy you even pretend to think otherwise.
I have better things to do than play "pretend" with the uninformed.

Here's a tip
Here's a tip: Do your research, instead of pontificating on matters you don't understand.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:54 am

Exactly WHO stated you should not be friendly ? What the hell does that have to do with runnin' your mouth about GCs ???

Again, exactly WHO stated you should remain completely mute ? What, you can't have a friendly pleasant conversation with a cashier without spillin' the beans that you're attempting to do what many WMs have BANNED ?

Here's a tip: Do your research, instead of pontificating on matters you don't understand.
You're not too bright are you? Keep changing your story and shifting the goal posts when you realize your original statements were foolish. Have a nice day.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:44 am

Its not worth arguing with the guy, he acts like he knows everything in other threads too, and then twists your words to make it look like you are either argreeing with him or stupid.

Moral of the story is there are plenty of ways to act friendly and not suspicious while still not outright admitting you are using giftcards, unless you are asked directly and pointed questions, and even then, if you know anything about social interactions you should still do just fine.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Apparently people miss one of the top rules of MS. Never admit that you are using a GC! Even if the cashier mentions it, you can acknowledge it. If you are asked directly, just say no. Believe me I have been asked many times with the cashier freaking out when she thought it was a gift card. I just politely respond "No. It's a debit card." Swipe, put in my pin, and move on. You don't have to tell the cashier that you are using a GC. If they say, they need to swipe it on their side, don't hand them the card. Insist that you always do it from your side and would like to do that. Even if they seem cool with it. Eventually someone else will notice or find out and that's how store bans happen.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
...and that's how store bans happen.
Amen sista'.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:30 am

+1

And even if a curious supervisor stops by to "instruct" the cashier, telling you the transaction isn't working because you're trying to use a GC (hadn't shown it to her and still kept referring to it as a debit card) --- just walk away and come back after her shift ends. That was my one and only failure in 4 years and that Walmart is still working well for me.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:31 pm

I broke in a fresh new WM cashier today. It's actually easier when they don't know what they're doing sometimes. Ha!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: Southwest A-list & Companion Pass, Enterprise, Hilton, Wyndham, etc
I've had a cashier give me a hard time about Visa debit cards. I must have used her a dozen times, and it's always, "You don't have a PIN," "these won't work," or, "these have been stopped," etc. I don't know how she knows; I don't show her the cards - always on my side of the counter. Maybe she has X-ray eyes.

Every time I tell her to try, and, sure enough, the transaction goes through no problem. You would think she'd learn.

But the last time I saw her, I somehow got confused between the pin codes for the two cards I was loading. Reading one and swiping the other - really stupid. Boy, was she happy to see that "Tender not allowed" pop up.

Some human beings are just constructed to enjoy giving people trouble and seeing others having problems. What on Earth is it to her whether or not I load stuff on my Bluebird? It's a kind of voyeuristic sadism. I just don't get it.

After I realized what I'd done (what a scare) I went back a few minutes later, and, miracle of miracles, Kate was working, and I just loaded the cards.

No problems since, but I haven't got her again. It will be nice to disappoint her. "Oh, it's working; I just entered the wrong pin last time." Nothing like the truth.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:39 pm

VGC to BB @ Wally checkout today posted as "American Express Serve reload" as opposed to "bluebird POS."
Anyone else have this happen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.