Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by haipham2014
I went to Giant in Montco area and saw they have the new Visa also issued by Meta bank and also has gowallet.com but the picture is different, the picture show the tools like hammerm wrench,... Not sure it is ok so I did not buy it and in the back it does not mention initial pin is last 4 digit like other cards.
It is fine, it is just like the gray ones they have.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:27 pm

I went to Giant in Montco area and saw they have the new Visa also issued by Meta bank and also has gowallet.com but the picture is different, the picture show the tools like hammerm wrench,... Not sure it is ok so I did not buy it and in the back it does not mention initial pin is last 4 digit like other cards.
Yea i saw the hammer wrench ones as well. I believe you will get the gas points on all of them as long as they are visa gc. In the past I wouldn't pay attention to the ones I got and if the last 4 digits were not the pin, i would call in to assign it, just an extra step. The one I went to on my way home from work tonight had six different packaging's of VGC, I went with the ones that have the initial pin as last 4 digit so i didn't have to call in
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Those are fine, same as the others.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by zsnyder821
Yea i saw the hammer wrench ones as well. I believe you will get the gas points on all of them as long as they are visa gc. In the past I wouldn't pay attention to the ones I got and if the last 4 digits were not the pin, i would call in to assign it, just an extra step. The one I went to on my way home from work tonight had six different packaging's of VGC, I went with the ones that have the initial pin as last 4 digit so i didn't have to call in
It is exactly I want to since the Giant and Walmart is very close so I can drive directly from Giant to Walmart instead of going home getting pin number.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
No problems with those cards. I think I had to call in and set the PIN but no issues using them to load at Kate.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:23 pm

What I know is that Amex is shutting down old blue cash accounts because of MS. Some people just spent 16k/month but was shut down. You did 18k/day. Good luck.

Originally Posted by dublin487
had a CSR call Amex with a 'code 10' today when buying 6x $3k VGC - went through without a hitch after confirming with Amex, although annoyingly they did a 'test' temp authorization while on the phone for about the same amount as the real transaction. fortunately my CL had space for 2x the purchase, but annoying to have to wait a few days for that to drop off.

just a heads up - according to this guy $2k is the threshold for calling a code 10
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for anyone using the old BC card to buy these gc, looks like some people are being shut down without reason. Head over to the main flyertalk thread regarding this card for more info.
Yeah, bad timing because everyone with an AMEX Blue card and access to Giant/Stop&Shop is hitting those stores hard this week to earn the gas points.

BTW, somebody asked about the cashier limits. I've been told that you can buy one $500 card at a time without the cashier needing approval, but anything more requires "the key" (manager's approval). Anything $2000 or above requires writing your name and info in "the book," so you're supposed to do this at the customer service desk.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
Cool

Originally Posted by bulletin2007
What I know is that Amex is shutting down old blue cash accounts because of MS. Some people just spent 16k/month but was shut down. You did 18k/day. Good luck.
The Club Carlson cards (biz and pers) give 5 pts/$ everywhere, as well as AMEX Hilton gives 5x at supermarkets, and Citi Hilton yields 6x at supermarkets ,,, why would anyone hammer one card so much?

Rotate your cards, people!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:41 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by fletchbo
The Club Carlson cards (biz and pers) give 5 pts/$ everywhere, as well as AMEX Hilton gives 5x at supermarkets, and Citi Hilton yields 6x at supermarkets ,,, why would anyone hammer one card so much?

n/m yes, use your valuable Club Carlson cards.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fletchbo

Well, I think 5% cash is more valuable than those currencies. Also, it's probably best to use Club Carlson for MS where there is no category bonus.

That said, when there isn't a gas points promo (or you have enough gas), I think the Ink 5x at Staples is more lucrative -- and more fun -- if you do any traveling (which I assume you do if you're a flyertalker ). It also takes "pressure" off using the AMEX Blue card. The biggest annoyance, though, is dealing with $200 cards instead of $500 cards.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Well, I think 5% cash is more valuable than those currencies. Also, it's probably best to use Club Carlson for MS where there is no category bonus.

That said, when there isn't a gas points promo (or you have enough gas), I think the Ink 5x at Staples is more lucrative -- and more fun -- if you do any traveling (which I assume you do if you're a flyertalker ). It also takes "pressure" off using the AMEX Blue card. The biggest annoyance, though, is dealing with $200 cards instead of $500 cards.
I whipped out my club carlson card for my last round today. another big annoyance is the 6.95 fee on $200 vs 4.95/5.95 fee on $500
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:37 am
Suspended

I whipped out my club carlson card for my last round today. another big annoyance is the 6.95 fee on $200 vs 4.95/5.95 fee on $500
Ive worked out the #s regarding cost per Mile (160K for a TATL Biz tkt) and it comes out in the end cheaper paying the $6.95 for the $200s then spending less for the $4.95s or $5.95s. Of cause thats if a person is playing this game correctly and getting 5x on the $200 GCs @ 1 particular type of store

Honestly I doubt Id use my CC for the $200s. Each person should sit down and workout which card to use depending on where they are buying the GC and the amounts involved. For sure its worth it to me to use my Carlson CC when getting the $500s My hotel to go to is 15k a night so I get 2 nights for $18 plus MO fee (even better my next trip its 11k)
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:04 am

I got the last 2 cards this morning in Chelmsford MA. Woburn MA had a stack of them behind the desk at the service center (maybe around 10).
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
Ive worked out the #s regarding cost per Mile (160K for a TATL Biz tkt) and it comes out in the end cheaper paying the $6.95 for the $200s then spending less for the $4.95s or $5.95s. Of cause thats if a person is playing this game correctly and getting 5x on the $200 GCs @ 1 particular type of store

Honestly I doubt Id use my CC for the $200s. Each person should sit down and workout which card to use depending on where they are buying the GC and the amounts involved. For sure its worth it to me to use my Carlson CC when getting the $500s My hotel to go to is 15k a night so I get 2 nights for $18 plus MO fee (even better my next trip its 11k)
Right, if you're a traveler and do the math, buying gift cards at grocery stores is not the profit maximizing strategy (if you "need the cash," that's another story). Of course, as we've seen with the AMEX Blue, there is some advantage is spreading the wealth (or cost) around. And no other MS strategy is better where you're also getting gas (assuming you can use the gas).
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:12 pm

I live on the border between PA and NJ.

I went to my local S&S where I know the workers. They had the 3x points promotion going on but were out of VGCs.

I went to the nearby Giant. They also had the 3x points promotion and were also out of VGCs.

I went to another Giant (luckily I live near a lot of stores). They had plenty of cards but were NOT giving gas points for VGCs. The promotion was not in their circular.

In summary, no gas points for me today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.