Paying rent w/ credit card

Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb Paying rent w/ credit card

Hey guys,

I live with 3 other roommates and our rent is $6000 combined. My portion is $1,234.00.

There are sites online in where they'll send a check to my landlord for 2.9%. It'd essentially be paying +$174 for the credit card fee.

Does anyone else do this? Do you think it's worth it?

PS: Already a gold member, I'd simply be doing this for the points.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
That's a really hefty fee. My rent is more than your portion and the cc fee is 35.00. Would you get the 6,000 points for the 174, or just the 1234? If the latter, then its a terrible deal. If the former, then its only slightly less than you get them by purchasing them directly from spg.

I don't think its worth it.

Also, I'm not sure this inquiry belongs in the SPG forum, but rather the credit card discussion area....
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdemaria
That's a really hefty fee. My rent is more than your portion and the cc fee is 35.00. Would you get the 6,000 points for the 174, or just the 1234? If the latter, then its a terrible deal. If the former, then its only slightly less than you get them by purchasing them directly from spg.

I don't think its worth it.

Also, I'm not sure this inquiry belongs in the SPG forum, but rather the credit card discussion area....
Thanks for your reply. I'd be getting the full 6,000 points for a $174. I agree, maybe this should have gone inside the CC discussion area instead. :/
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Exclamation Moderator Note

We have a forum called Manufactured Spending, which includes in its description the topic of online payment services. So even though the card to be used is a SPG AMEX, since it is being applied to an online payment of rent, that seems to be the best place for the most informed feedback on the OP's questions. I hope so, anyway. :-)

-AZ
A SPG Forum Moderator
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
If you're not doing Bluebird already, that's an easy way to pay rent with CC indirectly. 6K would cost $48 in VR fees. Much better than 2.9%
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dukerau
If you're not doing Bluebird already, that's an easy way to pay rent with CC indirectly. 6K would cost $48 in VR fees. Much better than 2.9%
Thanks! That's way better than 2.9%. I'll look into this. Thanks again for the tip.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:04 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Paying rent is real, not manufactured, spending. Please see this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...e-tuition.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.