Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
Welcome to Manufactured Spending. If you are new here, please spend some time reading before posting. Most likely your questions have already been answered multiple times. Consider deals that you share. These threads are searchable by Google. A volatile deal may be worth holding close to the vest.

Hints

1) On FT, topics are heavily consolidated. Sometimes the title of the thread and first few posts may not properly reflect the broad range of discussion inside the thread. Be sure to visit any thread relating to the product or service you want to learn more about because you might be surprised by how in depth the discussion really is. Example: This thread... I know, the first few posts are confusing.

2) Use Google to search FT. It works a lot better than the built-in search.

Important Rules

1) MSing is very YMMV. It varies by store, manager, and right down to the cashier working at the moment. That being said, always be nice and courteous in the face of rejection. The biggest secret for success is to lay low so you can try again.

2) DO NOT spend more than you can afford. START WITH SMALL AMOUNTS TO TEST THE WATER! As an example.. don't start with a $5000 purchase of VGCs if you can't afford to float that much! Instead, buy one and try it, and scale up once you are comfortable with a new method. It's easy to lose track, or get robbed, when you are handling so much money. Getting a refund is NOT always possible.

3) DO NOT ask employees, cashiers, customer service representatives, etc... about how to MS, or about things you read on this forum. The information you read here are very specific, unknown, legal uses of products or services. Most employees, cashiers, and even managers do not know about them. At best you'll get bad information. At worst you'll create a lot of unnecessary misunderstanding.

4) It bears repeating that there are no guarantees. you could easily buy $10,000 in gift cards or some other instrument, only to discover that your method for liquidating them vanishes the very next day. MS is not "normal" financial activity ("normal" being defined by the banks), and thus is often perceived as "suspicious" even if it is "legal."

5) never underestimate the risk of criminal activity. gift cards can easily be stolen, loaded onto a compromised account, loaded in a debit card skimmer, or even fraudulent (e.g., an already used card put back on the rack).

If you have a question that does not seem to fit anywhere, or you have not found an appropriate place for it, post it here.

a helpful note from seat17D about some of the inherent risks of MS:
I will speak to only the impacts and actions that have been taken (or threatened) to me personally over the years

1. Account closure - always got my money back. Moderate frequency. Little to no long-term impact UNLESS my wife was the first one to find out when her card was declined in public setting

2. Blacklisted by an FI - lower frequency. Short- to medium term impact. Eventually the FI's greed heals all wounds.

3. Blacklisted by a governmental agency -- lower frequency. Variable long-term impact as governmental agencies never actually forget, they just don't take action (see below)

4. Banned from a retail establishment -- threatened, but never actually banned. Mostly just pointed discussion from a misguided manager. Low-medium frequency.

5. Banned from an online establishment -- lower frequency, generally lower impact. Generally permanent, at least for me so far.

6. Cashback forfeited or clawed back -- generally happened to me as part of a credit card shut down. so far only forfeits and not clawbacks, but they are possible

And then there are the things law enforcement can and has done
1. Executed a warrant to subpoena my banking and other financial records without my knowledge
2. Contacted my FIs to inquire as the nature of my financial relationship
3. Frozen the portion of my assets that were currently involved in the activity they were investigating
4. Visited my home -- when I was not there -- to "interview" my spouse, etc. regarding their knowledge and involvement ... and to attempt to obtain additional documentation not already obtained by the subpoenas
5. Threatened to seize my assets. Not just the ones frozen. Not just those I currently possessed. But all assets they deemed as ever having been part of the criminal activity. (Think every GC, MO, etc. you have purchased over the past 3-5 years)
6. Threatened one or more felony charges. (Consider having to explain THAT to your wife or boss.)

And that all was for something that was completely legal, once the 'splaining was done.

Of course once LEO opens a criminal investigation, it never actually closes unless they take you to court and fail. So even though I was cleared of the charges, the original case file is out there ready to be dusted off.

In the end, my biggest concern is the extent to which something will permanently impact my marriage or ability to enter into financial contracts (felony charges would be one example). Fortunately once the initial shock of LEO's investigation wore away, both my marriage and financial relationships were intact. Very thankful both she and a few key FI's stood by me.

When you MS, you are running with scissors.
Take what you read with a grain of salt. No law enforcement agency cares if you are loading 5k to a bluebird per month unless you are loading your money from illegal activities like crack sales. Even at that point they only care about your crack sales, not your bluebird load.

Nobody is going to ask you "why are you loading your bluebird" or "where did you get the money you want to load on your bluebird" when you go to walmart.
Print Wikipost

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by OreD
I can't seem to find info on the workaround for the wm checkout machines. I thought it was in a wiki but I can't find it. Is the workaround dead or am I just not searching for the right terms?? Help!

Edited to add that I think I found something in post #158 of the WM MO thread but I tried today for the first time at a wm with a OV and it didn't work. I ended up getting a different card that worked fine. Luckily I was able to liquidate the OV into MO at a drug store.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...bit-cards.html
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
A bit of advice:

As you ramp up the number of cards, don't depend on your memory when you are deciding when/what to buy with cash back bonus cards, especially with the quarterly bonus categories. Make a copy of each card benefit or put info in a book/notebook of some kind.

Sometimes those decisions may be made on the "fly" because you are trying to "even out" the fees spent on the travel rewards card benefits of miles/points.

Reason: you may meet your yearly or quarterly spend before you "knew" it and thus only be reaping the 1% with each added purchase. Keep an eye on it!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by jan_believes
Reason: you may meet your yearly or quarterly spend before you "knew" it and thus only be reaping the 1% with each added purchase. Keep an eye on it!
True especially for cards with cap at $6K like BCE which gives 3%, no annual fee; BCP which gives 6%, but with $75 annual fee.

But for those with old amex blue cash and have reached min spend of $6500, from $6500.01 and up spent in qualified grocery stores and drugstores, you earn 5% with no cap; 5% on gas up to the first $400 and 1% thereafter.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:00 pm

I read the Wiki and the first and last 10 pages of threads on FT. Here is my question...I'm sure it's been answered somewhere. I have a close relationship with my local small town bank. I asked if I brought in a debit card could I use it to make a deposit to my checking account. The answer was as long as it is a Visa or Mastercard debit card and it had a pin number I could make that transaction.The manager told me just to make sure that the card doesn't charge for cash advances, so my ASSUMPTION is that all or most of the cards one can purchase charge for this type of transaction or
you can't get a Visa or Mastercard debit card without jumping through some hoops that
make the transaction a no go. Thanks in advance
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by sandie511
Hi all...this is my first post...I've been reading quite a bit the last few days...funny story and guess I need to learn to find the more relevant information. Last night around 6 pm I found this thread and read each and every post from the beginning (June 2013, I think). After about 2 or so hours of reading I am thinking I have a handle on this and how it works with VR card and am quite pleased with myself. AT this point spent about 1/2 hour at the BB site and some discussions on how to sign up use, etc...come back here to read more post and everyone's experience and tips on how to use the VR card. So have after about 5 hours of reading (kid you not) I learn the VR is no longer an option. Felt like I hit a horse dead after reading so much...I guess my points is to learn everything there is to know/learn but maybe not going back more than a year as so much changes so often..I haven't even applied for the card I need/want to MS with (need to wait a about a month or so) but in the meantime I will continue to keep reading and hopefully by then I will have figured out the best CG(s) to use...I just learned about MS and what it is about 3 days ago and without exaggerating I have read about 20 hours worth of discussion in these last 3 days...
LOL, I had the same experience!
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by fish3d
I read the Wiki and the first and last 10 pages of threads on FT. Here is my question...I'm sure it's been answered somewhere. I have a close relationship with my local small town bank. I asked if I brought in a debit card could I use it to make a deposit to my checking account. The answer was as long as it is a Visa or Mastercard debit card and it had a pin number I could make that transaction.The manager told me just to make sure that the card doesn't charge for cash advances, so my ASSUMPTION is that all or most of the cards one can purchase charge for this type of transaction or
you can't get a Visa or Mastercard debit card without jumping through some hoops that
make the transaction a no go. Thanks in advance
I talked to the branch manager of a small town bank I use for MO deposits. If what you're referring to as DC are the prepaid Debit MC/V GCs we buy from grocery stores/drugstores, she said these cannot be deposited to my C/A. However, she said I can do a cash advance from any of my CCs and deposit cash to my account. I was expecting that answer and she just validated it. IF, however, you meant a bank issued Debit card, they will likely tell you to w/d cash from ATM and deposit it to your C/A with that bank. Or if you prefer and have checks from another bank, you can write yourself a check and deposit to that bank.

if the manager at your bank can transfer $ from a prepaid debit card, please let us know how they did it.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sandarap
casuse, it is hard to find, i hope the writer organize into one page so that people don't need to spend time to search
its not hard to find, if you would take some time to learn about MSing all of your questions will be answered. It's pretty simple.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:14 pm

deleted

Last edited by rabatt; Sep 8, 2014 at 3:56 pm
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I talked to the branch manager of a small town bank I use for MO deposits. If what you're referring to as DC are the prepaid Debit MC/V GCs we buy from grocery stores/drugstores, she said these cannot be deposited to my C/A. However, she said I can do a cash advance from any of my CCs and deposit cash to my account. I was expecting that answer and she just validated it. IF, however, you meant a bank issued Debit card, they will likely tell you to w/d cash from ATM and deposit it to your C/A with that bank. Or if you prefer and have checks from another bank, you can write yourself a check and deposit to that bank.

if the manager at your bank can transfer $ from a prepaid debit card, please let us know how they did it.
Thanks for your reply and to all others who contribute their time, effort and knowledge. I will follow up ASAP. I think I need to do more research on MS and make sure the questions asked the bank manager is asked properly. I don't want to confuse the issue but today I went to the store that had VGC's. They were not reloadable
and the company that made them had different instructions on the outside of the package(s). One said that the card could NOT be used for cash withdrawals/or used at ATMs. The other cards made no mention of this and it was the same company.My apologies for having muddied the waters even more. When I have completed my research I'll be back.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by fish3d
Thanks for your reply and to all others who contribute their time, effort and knowledge. I will follow up ASAP. I think I need to do more research on MS and make sure the questions asked the bank manager is asked properly. I don't want to confuse the issue but today I went to the store that had VGC's. They were not reloadable
and the company that made them had different instructions on the outside of the package(s). One said that the card could NOT be used for cash withdrawals/or used at ATMs. The other cards made no mention of this and it was the same company.My apologies for having muddied the waters even more. When I have completed my research I'll be back.
Please update us if your bank manager is able to transfer funds from a prepaid debit GC to your bank account. That info will benefit a lot of us.

btw, I received mail from amex giving me a PIN for my blue card in case I want to w/d cash from the ATM. I inquired in the past about prepaid DCs that banks are issuing and if I can pay for them with CC. No GO but teller said I can do a cash advance first using my CC and that cash will be used to pay for their PPGC. No thanks
Old Sep 8, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, VA Silver, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by satman40
Until you do it you are just a BSer,

To do it without a real goal is a waste of time.

$2.95 SMGC $500.00 x 2 and 69 cents MO Kroger's

Local SM buy $1,000 Lowe's cards get $200.00 Amex a Gift Card...
can anyone translate this?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by wbruce
can anyone translate this?
BSer = big talker with smelly residue

To do it without a real goal is a waste of time = focus and not be random

$2.95 = possible fee for purchasing SMGC

SMGC = Simon Mall Gift Card

69 cents = decent fee for a MO

MO = Money Order

Local SM Buy $1,000...... = not sure about this one
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by cajunguy
BSer = big talker with smelly residue

Local SM Buy $1,000...... = not sure about this one
I think it's: Simon Mall, purchase $1000 Lowe's gift card, use them to purchase 5 $200 amex GCs at Lowe's.

Though I don't know why you would, unless you can get those Lowe's GCs at a discount at Simon Mall.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:02 pm

Chase INK MS MS (please help)

First, please don't beat me up for starting this thread. I appreciate this Forum and I have spent at least eight hours reading so far, but there is so much information to comb through and I have so little time to get this done. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, I've been busy traveling most the Summer using the free Southwest miles I accumulated earlier this year with help from BlueBird and Vanilla Reloads.
UNFORTUNATELY, the Manufacture Spend game changes so quickly!
I hope you will be kind and help me out.
So....
- I have my first CHASE INK BOLD card and I need to meet $5K minimum spend within next 14 days to receive the 60K bonus points.
- I have new AMEX SERVE which I plan to add on-line limit of $1K ($200 x 5 days)
- I have Amazon Payments which I can spend on-line another $1K.
- I purchased a $500.00 Vanilla Visa Gift Card. I'm not sure yet how I will cash this out.

Could I get advice how to manufacture another $2.5K in spend?

I'm located in the Los Angeles area.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by hermosatrout
First, please don't beat me up for starting this thread. I appreciate this Forum and I have spent at least eight hours reading so far, but there is so much information to comb through and I have so little time to get this done. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, I've been busy traveling most the Summer using the free Southwest miles I accumulated earlier this year with help from BlueBird and Vanilla Reloads.
UNFORTUNATELY, the Manufacture Spend game changes so quickly!
I hope you will be kind and help me out.
So....
- I have my first CHASE INK BOLD card and I need to meet $5K minimum spend within next 14 days to receive the 60K bonus points.
- I have new AMEX SERVE which I plan to add on-line limit of $1K ($200 x 5 days)
- I have Amazon Payments which I can spend on-line another $1K.
- I purchased a $500.00 Vanilla Visa Gift Card. I'm not sure yet how I will cash this out.

Could I get advice how to manufacture another $2.5K in spend?

I'm located in the Los Angeles area.

Are you not getting 5 points per dollar at office supply stores? Buy GCs and convert them to MOs at WM. Easy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.