Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
Welcome to Manufactured Spending. If you are new here, please spend some time reading before posting. Most likely your questions have already been answered multiple times. Consider deals that you share. These threads are searchable by Google. A volatile deal may be worth holding close to the vest.

Hints

1) On FT, topics are heavily consolidated. Sometimes the title of the thread and first few posts may not properly reflect the broad range of discussion inside the thread. Be sure to visit any thread relating to the product or service you want to learn more about because you might be surprised by how in depth the discussion really is. Example: This thread... I know, the first few posts are confusing.

2) Use Google to search FT. It works a lot better than the built-in search.

Important Rules

1) MSing is very YMMV. It varies by store, manager, and right down to the cashier working at the moment. That being said, always be nice and courteous in the face of rejection. The biggest secret for success is to lay low so you can try again.

2) DO NOT spend more than you can afford. START WITH SMALL AMOUNTS TO TEST THE WATER! As an example.. don't start with a $5000 purchase of VGCs if you can't afford to float that much! Instead, buy one and try it, and scale up once you are comfortable with a new method. It's easy to lose track, or get robbed, when you are handling so much money. Getting a refund is NOT always possible.

3) DO NOT ask employees, cashiers, customer service representatives, etc... about how to MS, or about things you read on this forum. The information you read here are very specific, unknown, legal uses of products or services. Most employees, cashiers, and even managers do not know about them. At best you'll get bad information. At worst you'll create a lot of unnecessary misunderstanding.

4) It bears repeating that there are no guarantees. you could easily buy $10,000 in gift cards or some other instrument, only to discover that your method for liquidating them vanishes the very next day. MS is not "normal" financial activity ("normal" being defined by the banks), and thus is often perceived as "suspicious" even if it is "legal."

5) never underestimate the risk of criminal activity. gift cards can easily be stolen, loaded onto a compromised account, loaded in a debit card skimmer, or even fraudulent (e.g., an already used card put back on the rack).

If you have a question that does not seem to fit anywhere, or you have not found an appropriate place for it, post it here.

a helpful note from seat17D about some of the inherent risks of MS:
I will speak to only the impacts and actions that have been taken (or threatened) to me personally over the years

1. Account closure - always got my money back. Moderate frequency. Little to no long-term impact UNLESS my wife was the first one to find out when her card was declined in public setting

2. Blacklisted by an FI - lower frequency. Short- to medium term impact. Eventually the FI's greed heals all wounds.

3. Blacklisted by a governmental agency -- lower frequency. Variable long-term impact as governmental agencies never actually forget, they just don't take action (see below)

4. Banned from a retail establishment -- threatened, but never actually banned. Mostly just pointed discussion from a misguided manager. Low-medium frequency.

5. Banned from an online establishment -- lower frequency, generally lower impact. Generally permanent, at least for me so far.

6. Cashback forfeited or clawed back -- generally happened to me as part of a credit card shut down. so far only forfeits and not clawbacks, but they are possible

And then there are the things law enforcement can and has done
1. Executed a warrant to subpoena my banking and other financial records without my knowledge
2. Contacted my FIs to inquire as the nature of my financial relationship
3. Frozen the portion of my assets that were currently involved in the activity they were investigating
4. Visited my home -- when I was not there -- to "interview" my spouse, etc. regarding their knowledge and involvement ... and to attempt to obtain additional documentation not already obtained by the subpoenas
5. Threatened to seize my assets. Not just the ones frozen. Not just those I currently possessed. But all assets they deemed as ever having been part of the criminal activity. (Think every GC, MO, etc. you have purchased over the past 3-5 years)
6. Threatened one or more felony charges. (Consider having to explain THAT to your wife or boss.)

And that all was for something that was completely legal, once the 'splaining was done.

Of course once LEO opens a criminal investigation, it never actually closes unless they take you to court and fail. So even though I was cleared of the charges, the original case file is out there ready to be dusted off.

In the end, my biggest concern is the extent to which something will permanently impact my marriage or ability to enter into financial contracts (felony charges would be one example). Fortunately once the initial shock of LEO's investigation wore away, both my marriage and financial relationships were intact. Very thankful both she and a few key FI's stood by me.

When you MS, you are running with scissors.
Take what you read with a grain of salt. No law enforcement agency cares if you are loading 5k to a bluebird per month unless you are loading your money from illegal activities like crack sales. Even at that point they only care about your crack sales, not your bluebird load.

Nobody is going to ask you "why are you loading your bluebird" or "where did you get the money you want to load on your bluebird" when you go to walmart.
Print Wikipost

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2013, 11:09 pm

Sorry in advance for the length of this. I need to have $20K of foundation repair done to my house in the next month. The contractor takes Visa/MC but I thought I'd try to get 5% cashback by:

1. Buying $500 GC's at Kroger using my Amex Blue Cash (grandfathered)
2. Converting the GCs back to cash via some combination of BB/GoBank/Money Orders
3. Pay the contractor in cash

My chief concern is how quickly I can buy $20K in $500 GCs (so 40 cards) from Kroger without arousing too much suspicion. There are multiple Krogers in my area (in addition to some other grocery stores) so would it be worth trying to spread purchases around multiple locations? If I were to say buy ten cards ($5000) in one go (a total of four times, spread out over 2-3 weeks) is that likely to trigger something bad?

I thought about maybe calling AMEX ahead of time and telling them that I'm about to make some large purchases over the next few weeks (could give a plausible explanation), but not sure if that would just add more scrutiny.

I've had this AMEX card for a long time (I don't think it's my oldest one but it's close) so my chief concern would be having AMEX close my account. Anyone had much experience buying GCs with AMEX and if there's some kind of practical limit to stay under? I have a $15K CL on the card. Would it be best to charge $5K and then pay it off right away before charging again?

Also, is there much to gain in trying to buy something miscellaneous with the GCs to prevent it being coded as a cash equivalent? Also, maybe trying to make the total dollar amounts different so it's not some shiny round number?

As far as liquidating, I just got the GoBank card with the knowledge that it will get shut down on me within a month or so, but since it doesn't have the $5K limit like BB I'm thinking I could hit it pretty hard over the course of 2-3 weeks and be OK. I could do the remainder on BB and/or $1000 MOs from WalMart.

Is it stupid to be trying to do this so quickly or am I just being paranoid? If any of you pros can offer any advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

I also have an Ink Bold but Staples is an hour away and I'd be limited to $200 cards going that route. I have a couple CVS stores nearby but I read here that AMEX Blue people aren't getting their 5% buying GCs there.

tl;drWanting to buy a total of 40 $500 GC's at Kroger using AMEX Blue Cash (the grandfathered card) to earn 5%--in the next 2-3 weeks. In your opinion what is the max number of cards I should attempt to buy in one day/one transaction to be relatively safe from AMEX's wrath?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by bookemdano
Sorry in advance for the length of this. I need to have $20K of foundation repair done to my house in the next month. The contractor takes Visa/MC but I thought I'd try to get 5% cashback by:

1. Buying $500 GC's at Kroger using my Amex Blue Cash (grandfathered)
2. Converting the GCs back to cash via some combination of BB/GoBank/Money Orders
3. Pay the contractor in cash

My chief concern is how quickly I can buy $20K in $500 GCs (so 40 cards) from Kroger without arousing too much suspicion. There are multiple Krogers in my area (in addition to some other grocery stores) so would it be worth trying to spread purchases around multiple locations? If I were to say buy ten cards ($5000) in one go (a total of four times, spread out over 2-3 weeks) is that likely to trigger something bad?

I thought about maybe calling AMEX ahead of time and telling them that I'm about to make some large purchases over the next few weeks (could give a plausible explanation), but not sure if that would just add more scrutiny.

I've had this AMEX card for a long time (I don't think it's my oldest one but it's close) so my chief concern would be having AMEX close my account. Anyone had much experience buying GCs with AMEX and if there's some kind of practical limit to stay under? I have a $15K CL on the card. Would it be best to charge $5K and then pay it off right away before charging again?

Also, is there much to gain in trying to buy something miscellaneous with the GCs to prevent it being coded as a cash equivalent? Also, maybe trying to make the total dollar amounts different so it's not some shiny round number?

As far as liquidating, I just got the GoBank card with the knowledge that it will get shut down on me within a month or so, but since it doesn't have the $5K limit like BB I'm thinking I could hit it pretty hard over the course of 2-3 weeks and be OK. I could do the remainder on BB and/or $1000 MOs from WalMart.

Is it stupid to be trying to do this so quickly or am I just being paranoid? If any of you pros can offer any advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

I also have an Ink Bold but Staples is an hour away and I'd be limited to $200 cards going that route. I have a couple CVS stores nearby but I read here that AMEX Blue people aren't getting their 5% buying GCs there.

tl;drWanting to buy a total of 40 $500 GC's at Kroger using AMEX Blue Cash (the grandfathered card) to earn 5%--in the next 2-3 weeks. In your opinion what is the max number of cards I should attempt to buy in one day/one transaction to be relatively safe from AMEX's wrath?
Have you put $20K on the card in a month or two in the recent past (from your question, I doubt it). If you haven't, you're likely to get some sort of fraud alert - whether that also gets eyeballs looking at your sudden activity buying gcs and triggers a FR is debatable, but I think you'd be pushing it.

In my area, I have no problem buying $4K a day from each store - and do it at several local stores to keep face time/volume at any one store to a minimum. I suppose you could do more, but if you aren't a "regular", you might get the stink eye.

Are you aware that Kroger/Safeway has a promo going on right now? $10 cash coupon on Visa (and harder to use MCs) gift cards ($100 or higher). Forget when it expires (sometime in October). Only hitch is one coupon per transaction, so to maximize your $10 coupons, need to do 40 separate transactions (but would get $400 in coupons good for most anything in the store except milk/cigs/booze). Coupons can only be used one at a time, and expire in 2 weeks from when you get them, so another 40 separate transactions to use them all.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:47 pm

I have five $100 visa gift cards purchased from Safeway to take advantage of the $10 cash coupon. What's the best way to consolidate them into one $500 gift card?

Last edited by Scorpio1975; Sep 29, 2013 at 11:59 am
Old Sep 28, 2013, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Scorpio1975
I have five $100 visa gift cards purchased from Safeway to take advantage of the $10 cash coupon. What's the best way to consolidate them into one $500 gift card? Will Safeway allow me to buy one $500 visa gift card using five $100 visa gift cards plus activation fee?
I'd like to know the answer to that as well. Would make handling $100 gcs a lot more convenient.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of using low balance gift cards has been transferred to the established thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ift-cards.html
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of GoBank was moved to established thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ebit-card.html
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:43 am

Best way to use Bluebird

Hey!

I've recently opened a whole bunch of new reward credit cards with minimum spends, and I want to use the vanilla -> bluebird strategy.

1. Should I spread the reloading over the 3 months that I have on the min spend, or just buy a few every day in the next few weeks to get it all done?

2. In terms of paying off the cards once the money is in my Bluebird account, do I take the money out as cash? Pay it directly from Bluebird? Pay from my bank account than use Bluebird to reimburse myself? It doesn't matter much to me - I just don't want to make Bluebird mad

If you have any thoughts, I'd be grateful.

Thanks so much!
Jeff
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:00 am

1. Generally better to start slow, but this all depends on your relationship with whatever bank you got your cards from. Charging $5k in one week on a brand new card is a good way to draw suspicion or get shut down.

2. Personal preference. I just use BB's billpay since it saves a lot of time and hassle.

Originally Posted by nyfirefly11
Hey!

I've recently opened a whole bunch of new reward credit cards with minimum spends, and I want to use the vanilla -> bluebird strategy.

1. Should I spread the reloading over the 3 months that I have on the min spend, or just buy a few every day in the next few weeks to get it all done?

2. In terms of paying off the cards once the money is in my Bluebird account, do I take the money out as cash? Pay it directly from Bluebird? Pay from my bank account than use Bluebird to reimburse myself? It doesn't matter much to me - I just don't want to make Bluebird mad

If you have any thoughts, I'd be grateful.

Thanks so much!
Jeff
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:59 pm

That sounds good.

I'll spread out buying the vanillas and I'll use bill pay within Bluebird.

Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
(I apologize for yet another newbie-question thread. Seems all the newbie threads I found were locked, perhaps there should be a newbie thread as an unlocked ongoing sticky.)

I am wondering if the following concern is a true risk. Newbie goes to XYZ store and takes VR to register, asks that it be loaded with $ and immediately swipes a credit card. Corrupt but very savvy cashier says no credit cards, while allowing the transaction to proceed. Newbie says okay, no thanks and leaves store empty handed. Cashier now has VR with $ and just maybe newbie doesn't notice $ charge on card or has to spend all sorts of time and energy trying to prove the fraud. Is this a realistic concern? Thanks.

(Addendum, Sept 4, 2013: Mods: Thank you for merging threads, makes perfect sense. I coulda sworn this thread was locked when I originally posted the comments above.)
Somewhat related thing happened to me. I bought a lot of groceries at target and had kids with me, was distracted. Total was around $200, which wasn't crazy high, given my cart and the size of my family. A few days later I look at the receipt more carefully and see a t-mobile cell phone money card for $100. I obviously know I did not buy this. Go to Target manager and she acted like I was full of BS when I told her I thought the cashier had swiped the gift card and kept it. I couldn't prove that I didn't buy it. I was pissed esp by the "yeah, right" glances I was getting.

So I told her to pull the security tape and watch it. The date and time and register number were on my receipt. And BAM. Cashier dude had totally done what I said. Target refunded my money but didn't even say sorry. I watch cashiers carefully now.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
RE: New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here.

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Somewhat related thing happened to me. I bought a lot of groceries at target and had kids with me, was distracted. Total was around $200, which wasn't crazy high, given my cart and the size of my family. A few days later I look at the receipt more carefully and see a t-mobile cell phone money card for $100. I obviously know I did not buy this. Go to Target manager and she acted like I was full of BS when I told her I thought the cashier had swiped the gift card and kept it. I couldn't prove that I didn't buy it. I was pissed esp by the "yeah, right" glances I was getting.

So I told her to pull the security tape and watch it. The date and time and register number were on my receipt. And BAM. Cashier dude had totally done what I said. Target refunded my money but didn't even say sorry. I watch cashiers carefully now.
================================================== ======
WOW! This really goes on????!!!

As for what I am looking for:

The first few posts in this thread do not introduce the Vanilla CARD to the VR to the Bluebird. Lots of references to the Bluebird and the reload, not so much to the initial card selection purchase.

As for responses regarding not being diligent or details oriented or not reading enough, which I am, I am still "shaking in my boots" to try this the first time. I hope I got the order right.

First purchase is a VR card, not a plain ol' Vanilla GC? **That's what I can't get my brain around. How can I be buying a "reload" card first when I have no card to reload yet?** I hope that question makes sense. A photo of the "right" beginning Vanilla "whatever" card would be appreciated if it's necessary for the first purchase at $4.95.

Please advise. I just want to do it right, that's all. Please don't lecture me; I am not trying to share a lot of other stuff here. Thanks for understanding.

Last edited by jan_believes; Nov 2, 2013 at 5:52 pm
Old Nov 2, 2013, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by jan_believes
Not high value items (<$5), but I certainly had charges for a thing I didn't buy @ my nearest WM several times. I learned not to trust cashiers there.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: SPG preferred, AA, United
Wow! That's wild. I have never seen that happen. That's a good thing to look out for. I know many people have said the above story about VRs being swapped but this is just really taking advantage of the situation. Glad you got it refunded.

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis

Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jan_believes

As for what I am looking for:

The first few posts in this thread do not introduce the Vanilla CARD to the VR to the Bluebird. Lots of references to the Bluebird and the reload, not so much to the initial card selection purchase.

As for responses regarding not being diligent or details oriented or not reading enough, which I am, I am still "shaking in my boots" to try this the first time. I hope I got the order right.

First purchase is a VR card, not a plain ol' Vanilla GC? **That's what I can't get my brain around. How can I be buying a "reload" card first when I have no card to reload yet?** I hope that question makes sense. A photo of the "right" beginning Vanilla "whatever" card would be appreciated if it's necessary for the first purchase at $4.95.

Please advise. I just want to do it right, that's all. Please don't lecture me; I am not trying to share a lot of other stuff here. Thanks for understanding.
First, you need to get a Bluebird card, either by applying for one online (no credit check) or going to a WalMart store. Then you go buy a VR card and use the VR website or phone number to load it to Bluebird. I think you're overcomplicating it. If you want a picture of the VR (because there are a lot of cards with "Vanilla" in the name), check out one of the blogs. They have step by steps with pictures, circles, and arrows, oh my. But it's really not a big deal. If you get the wrong card, as long as it can be used with a PIN, you can just go to WalMart and load it to Bluebird that way. If it can't be used with a PIN, you can drain it on AP. Also, VR cost $3.95, so if you see one that costs $4.95, you're looking at the wrong card.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:05 am

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but I've just read most of the threads here and about to participate in MS. One question that I have was: how do you liquidate large amounts without arousing suspicion? Now BB has paper checks, which of course you can write to yourself but you're limited to 1 BB card per person, so I can only have 2.

Alternatively you can buy WM MO, but isn't that kinda risky too? Doing it too much for a single card / account / instrument per month, will you get FR'ed etc?

I'm generally a frugal guy with not that big of a spending so liquidating will be my biggest concern. Thanks!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.