Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
Welcome to Manufactured Spending. If you are new here, please spend some time reading before posting. Most likely your questions have already been answered multiple times. Consider deals that you share. These threads are searchable by Google. A volatile deal may be worth holding close to the vest.

Hints

1) On FT, topics are heavily consolidated. Sometimes the title of the thread and first few posts may not properly reflect the broad range of discussion inside the thread. Be sure to visit any thread relating to the product or service you want to learn more about because you might be surprised by how in depth the discussion really is. Example: This thread... I know, the first few posts are confusing.

2) Use Google to search FT. It works a lot better than the built-in search.

Important Rules

1) MSing is very YMMV. It varies by store, manager, and right down to the cashier working at the moment. That being said, always be nice and courteous in the face of rejection. The biggest secret for success is to lay low so you can try again.

2) DO NOT spend more than you can afford. START WITH SMALL AMOUNTS TO TEST THE WATER! As an example.. don't start with a $5000 purchase of VGCs if you can't afford to float that much! Instead, buy one and try it, and scale up once you are comfortable with a new method. It's easy to lose track, or get robbed, when you are handling so much money. Getting a refund is NOT always possible.

3) DO NOT ask employees, cashiers, customer service representatives, etc... about how to MS, or about things you read on this forum. The information you read here are very specific, unknown, legal uses of products or services. Most employees, cashiers, and even managers do not know about them. At best you'll get bad information. At worst you'll create a lot of unnecessary misunderstanding.

4) It bears repeating that there are no guarantees. you could easily buy $10,000 in gift cards or some other instrument, only to discover that your method for liquidating them vanishes the very next day. MS is not "normal" financial activity ("normal" being defined by the banks), and thus is often perceived as "suspicious" even if it is "legal."

5) never underestimate the risk of criminal activity. gift cards can easily be stolen, loaded onto a compromised account, loaded in a debit card skimmer, or even fraudulent (e.g., an already used card put back on the rack).

If you have a question that does not seem to fit anywhere, or you have not found an appropriate place for it, post it here.

a helpful note from seat17D about some of the inherent risks of MS:
I will speak to only the impacts and actions that have been taken (or threatened) to me personally over the years

1. Account closure - always got my money back. Moderate frequency. Little to no long-term impact UNLESS my wife was the first one to find out when her card was declined in public setting

2. Blacklisted by an FI - lower frequency. Short- to medium term impact. Eventually the FI's greed heals all wounds.

3. Blacklisted by a governmental agency -- lower frequency. Variable long-term impact as governmental agencies never actually forget, they just don't take action (see below)

4. Banned from a retail establishment -- threatened, but never actually banned. Mostly just pointed discussion from a misguided manager. Low-medium frequency.

5. Banned from an online establishment -- lower frequency, generally lower impact. Generally permanent, at least for me so far.

6. Cashback forfeited or clawed back -- generally happened to me as part of a credit card shut down. so far only forfeits and not clawbacks, but they are possible

And then there are the things law enforcement can and has done
1. Executed a warrant to subpoena my banking and other financial records without my knowledge
2. Contacted my FIs to inquire as the nature of my financial relationship
3. Frozen the portion of my assets that were currently involved in the activity they were investigating
4. Visited my home -- when I was not there -- to "interview" my spouse, etc. regarding their knowledge and involvement ... and to attempt to obtain additional documentation not already obtained by the subpoenas
5. Threatened to seize my assets. Not just the ones frozen. Not just those I currently possessed. But all assets they deemed as ever having been part of the criminal activity. (Think every GC, MO, etc. you have purchased over the past 3-5 years)
6. Threatened one or more felony charges. (Consider having to explain THAT to your wife or boss.)

And that all was for something that was completely legal, once the 'splaining was done.

Of course once LEO opens a criminal investigation, it never actually closes unless they take you to court and fail. So even though I was cleared of the charges, the original case file is out there ready to be dusted off.

In the end, my biggest concern is the extent to which something will permanently impact my marriage or ability to enter into financial contracts (felony charges would be one example). Fortunately once the initial shock of LEO's investigation wore away, both my marriage and financial relationships were intact. Very thankful both she and a few key FI's stood by me.

When you MS, you are running with scissors.
Take what you read with a grain of salt. No law enforcement agency cares if you are loading 5k to a bluebird per month unless you are loading your money from illegal activities like crack sales. Even at that point they only care about your crack sales, not your bluebird load.

Nobody is going to ask you "why are you loading your bluebird" or "where did you get the money you want to load on your bluebird" when you go to walmart.
Print Wikipost

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 1:35 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Yet Another Newbie Question

(I apologize for yet another newbie-question thread. Seems all the newbie threads I found were locked, perhaps there should be a newbie thread as an unlocked ongoing sticky.)

I am wondering if the following concern is a true risk. Newbie goes to XYZ store and takes VR to register, asks that it be loaded with $ and immediately swipes a credit card. Corrupt but very savvy cashier says no credit cards, while allowing the transaction to proceed. Newbie says okay, no thanks and leaves store empty handed. Cashier now has VR with $ and just maybe newbie doesn't notice $ charge on card or has to spend all sorts of time and energy trying to prove the fraud. Is this a realistic concern? Thanks.

(Addendum, Sept 4, 2013: Mods: Thank you for merging threads, makes perfect sense. I coulda sworn this thread was locked when I originally posted the comments above.)

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Sep 4, 2013 at 12:10 pm
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:35 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
If at a CVS, you'd have to sign for anything over $25 and how is the cashier going to duplicate that?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 12:43 am

Programs: Northwest, United
The Number 2 Rule for MS*: Don't play the game if you are not good about tracking details. If you are not going to be able to recognize an "extra" $500 charge from XYZ on your credit card statement, you should find another game to play.

It's *possible* this could happen, but seems highly unlikely - you could just as easily be charged twice for any item purchased. You can always dispute a charge on your statement. Might be a pain to clean it up, but your CC company should take care of you, their valued customer. I think there are other things I'd worry about before this.

Hope that helps.

(The Number 1 Rule for MS is, of course, Don't Call - but you knew that).
Old Sep 2, 2013, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
(I apologize for yet another newbie-question thread. Seems all the newbie threads I found were locked, perhaps there should be a newbie thread as an unlocked ongoing sticky.)

I am wondering if the following concern is a true risk. Newbie goes to XYZ store and takes VR to register, asks that it be loaded with $ and immediately swipes a credit card. Corrupt but very savvy cashier says no credit cards, while allowing the transaction to proceed. Newbie says okay, no thanks and leaves store empty handed. Cashier now has VR with $ and just maybe newbie doesn't notice $ charge on card or has to spend all sorts of time and energy trying to prove the fraud. Is this a realistic concern? Thanks.

Not likely to happen, but if have any concerns just make sure you have the cashier check if transaction went thru. If it did then have cashier void the transaction. For certain amts will need supervisor to come over and override the void. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 1:49 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Thanks very much for the kind replies.

Originally Posted by jatink129
If at a CVS, you'd have to sign for anything over $25 and how is the cashier going to duplicate that?
Actually that is a bit of a concern as I tend to just make a scribble for a credit card signature, especially on any of the electronic machine signature pads. However, my concern about someone duplicating my signature is completely alleviated due to what I think should be everyone’s Rule # 1 for all finance and FF miles/points: watch everything like a hawk! ^

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
The Number 2 Rule for MS*: Don't play the game if you are not good about tracking details.
Agreed, but respectfully, it should be Rule # 1.

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
(The Number 1 Rule for MS is, of course, Don't Call - but you knew that).
Thank you for giving me some credit. Agreed, except for relative priority, it should be Rule # 1.1.

Kinda like:
Rule # 1: The woman is always right. Rule # 2: Any questions, see rule # 1.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 2:31 am

Okay, since I’m not currently engulfed in flames (thank you ), I’ll add another MS newbie question. BTW, I’m not a dufus, I’ve been churning credit cards for 25 years. I’ve just never done any sort of MS. It now seems like a small amount of MS will be helpful for me.

So, without any further ado, with the understanding that a credit card can be used to pay for a VR at CVS, can a debit card or a gift card also be used to pay for a VR at CVS? (I suspect the answer is no as otherwise it would just be TOO easy.) Thanks again.

BTW, in an effort to contribute as best I can, I just read something from an old thread for the first time. As someone who has never used a debit card, and rarely used a gift card, this was something I had witnessed a couple of time but never paid attention to. It now seems highly pertinent and like a terrific way to help with GC liquidation, curious if any other types of stores have such generous cashback policies. From MS forum, “How do you unload Nationwide visa buxx cards?” thread, Feb 7, 13:
Originally Posted by forextrader
Cashback at Supermarket - Stop and Shop in NYC area, for example, allow up to $200 cashback with any purchase.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: AS MVP

So, without any further ado, with the understanding that a credit card can be used to pay for a VR at CVS, can a debit card or a gift card also be used to pay for a VR at CVS? (I suspect the answer is no as otherwise it would just be TOO easy.) Thanks again.
I'm not sure what would be 'TOO easy' - yes, you can use a debit card (in fact some stores will only allow debit or cash, not credit cards) but it adds an unnecessary step in many cases, or becomes a relatively expensive way to buy points.

Most Wal-Marts and many grocery stores will sell MOs up to $1000 for under a dollar, which you can deposit in your bank account. Preferably NOT at a bank whose rewards credit card you are using. Outside of AP (limited to $1000/month) and BB (only at WalMart stores and limited to $5000/month), this is by far the best way to liquidate Visa and MC debit gift cards. It even works pretty well with miles earning debit cards at $0.70 per 500 points.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 7:55 am
Suspended

Why would you or anyone swipe their CC before being told to?? But even if a person did so and it took , in order for the charge to go thru the clerk needs to input the last 4 #s of the CC. Thats why the CC machine puts up a message about handing your CC to the clerk, if they put in any 4 #s and it doesnt match the transaction cant be completed. Could be if a person is only loading say $50 then the last 4 #s wont need to be put in, but for $500 it must be.

Id say, what a person needs to look for is if the clerk switches that GC with some other 1 which hasnt been activated. They scan the 1 you gave them and then with a quick of hand switch it to 1 that hasnt been activated, you leave with a dead GC and they pocket the good 1. * Now having purchased many many GCs and VRs,TG Ive never ran into this although there are some folks who have and posted as such.

MS isnt risk free be it from being scammed by the clerk switching the CG or VR on you, or your bank or CC issuer closing your acct/s down. If for yrs upon yrs the most you charged was say $3k the entire yr and bingo all of a sudden you are doing $3k a day, thats when things start to go against you. If your acct in the bank had just over the min to avoid fees say $1500 and now youre depositing or ACHing in $1000s a day that too will probably send up a red flag.

CC issuers have you tagged as to what is your normal Spend, once you exceed it they will freeze your acct till they have been in touch with you to be sure the charegs are legit
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by craz
CC issuers have you tagged as to what is your normal Spend, once you exceed it they will freeze your acct till they have been in touch with you to be sure the charegs are legit
Good point, thank you. I definitely plan to crawl before I walk and then, just like children, advance from walking to running more quickly! Hoping to avoid much of the stumbling and falling!

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Most Wal-Marts and many grocery stores will sell MOs up to $1000 for under a dollar, which you can deposit in your bank account. Preferably NOT at a bank whose rewards credit card you are using. Outside of AP (limited to $1000/month) and BB (only at WalMart stores and limited to $5000/month), this is by far the best way to liquidate Visa and MC debit gift cards. It even works pretty well with miles earning debit cards at $0.70 per 500 points.
Understood, good points, thank you.

I'm not sure what would be 'TOO easy' - yes, you can use a debit card (in fact some stores will only allow debit or cash, not credit cards) but it adds an unnecessary step in many cases, or becomes a relatively expensive way to buy points.
The context of my use of “TOO easy” was “fewest physical trips to a store”. I was thinking that one could buy Chase GC on-line at no cost (yes to all the Obi-Wans, you’ve taught me well, ONLY Chase CC), then use those GCs to buy VR (one trip) for only the cost of the VR, then load those VR to BB via phone or computer at no further cost. This seems to be “TOO easy” in terms of both the number of stores visited (one) and also costs (VR fee only). Understood the amounts for this process are limited but I still suspect I’m missing something with this scenario; anyone able to confirm or deny?

Thanks very much again. You all keep this up much longer and I’ll soon be able to snatch the pebble from your hand AND walk the rice paper without leaving any marks ... maybe even at the same time!

(Sorry for all the mixed metaphors (children/Star Wars/Kung Fu), couldn't resist)
Old Sep 3, 2013, 2:32 am

Please indulge yet another MS/Chase GC newbie question. And yes, I did read all 112 pages and 1678 posts on the Chase Gift Card thread. Okay, maybe not ALL 1678 posts. But I did spend a while looking and I have been reading many of the MS forum threads extensively for the past few months while I've been in Afghanistan with little else to do.

Since a GIFT card is intended as gift card, it would seem that it would be ready to use by anyone immediately upon receipt; like giving a 14 year old boy a gift card for Sports Authority, he doesn’t need to activate it (we just hope he doesn’t lose it!).

Regarding Chase GC sent by mail, I see that it must be activated after receipt and prior to use. I’m wondering if there is, and if so what is, the protection against an UNintended (mistaken delivery to wrong address) recipient activating the card. Does card activation require some information that only the purchaser would have?

Also still wondering (as above) about the possible flaw in my Chase GC to VR to BB scenario. Presuming (near) maximum of $2500 for one Chase CC, if loaded directly to BB would seem to require 3 different Walmart runs. On the other hand, presuming one found a willing CVS, one could buy $2500 VR in one trip and then load to BB by phone or computer, thus only 1 trip. The GC-VR-BB-by-phone/computer scenario also seems more convenient as there are many more CVS stores than Walmarts and for many of us, myself included, there are several CVS stores nearby and just one Walmart not so nearby.

Thanks very much once again.

(My apologies if I’ve inadvertently violated any MS secrets. If so, please advise and I’ll edit accordingly.)

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Sep 3, 2013 at 2:37 am
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: SPG preferred, AA, United
Please indulge yet another MS/Chase GC newbie question. And yes, I did read all 112 pages and 1678 posts on the Chase Gift Card thread. Okay, maybe not ALL 1678 posts. But I did spend a while looking and I have been reading many of the MS forum threads extensively for the past few months while I've been in Afghanistan with little else to do.

Since a GIFT card is intended as gift card, it would seem that it would be ready to use by anyone immediately upon receipt; like giving a 14 year old boy a gift card for Sports Authority, he doesn’t need to activate it (we just hope he doesn’t lose it!).

Regarding Chase GC sent by mail, I see that it must be activated after receipt and prior to use. I’m wondering if there is, and if so what is, the protection against an UNintended (mistaken delivery to wrong address) recipient activating the card. Does card activation require some information that only the purchaser would have?

Also still wondering (as above) about the possible flaw in my Chase GC to VR to BB scenario. Presuming (near) maximum of $2500 for one Chase CC, if loaded directly to BB would seem to require 3 different Walmart runs. On the other hand, presuming one found a willing CVS, one could buy $2500 VR in one trip and then load to BB by phone or computer, thus only 1 trip. The GC-VR-BB-by-phone/computer scenario also seems more convenient as there are many more CVS stores than Walmarts and for many of us, myself included, there are several CVS stores nearby and just one Walmart not so nearby.

Thanks very much once again.

(My apologies if I’ve inadvertently violated any MS secrets. If so, please advise and I’ll edit accordingly.)

I'm not sure about the protection that you have - if the card was delivered to the wrong address. That would seem very unfortunate. The card only requires you to call and put in the GC number and you set your pin.

On the Chase GC-Beans-BB is not a bad scenario. If they let you purchase with the Chase GC you would be paying 19.75 in fees. What I would suggest is having a family member sign up for BB and help you with this(parents, sibling, spouse). I think that may be the easiest (cheapest) way.

But, I have one question. If you have CVS around you why would you bother with getting the GC from Chase if you are going to be paying the fee anyway? I think that may be where you waste the most time (ordering, waiting for delivery, then going to CVS to buy beans, and then loading them.) Just do the last two.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by daprophecy
I'm not sure about the protection that you have - if the card was delivered to the wrong address. That would seem very unfortunate. The card only requires you to call and put in the GC number and you set your pin.

On the Chase GC-Beans-BB is not a bad scenario. If they let you purchase with the Chase GC you would be paying 19.75 in fees. What I would suggest is having a family member sign up for BB and help you with this(parents, sibling, spouse). I think that may be the easiest (cheapest) way.

But, I have one question. If you have CVS around you why would you bother with getting the GC from Chase if you are going to be paying the fee anyway? I think that may be where you waste the most time (ordering, waiting for delivery, then going to CVS to buy beans, and then loading them.) Just do the last two.
I havent found a single place that will accept a GC as the means to pay for any VR. That includes their own store GC, so you cant use a CVS GC at CVS to buy VRs.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:59 am

There is ZERO advantage in preceding the VR -> BB step with a CGC step, and actually a disadvantage beyond the time and effort already mentioned.

Probably about 15% of folks recommend a few $1.08 or something swipes on their Amex for Target card. Maybe 5% recommend that for their BB card. The most paranoid group is the GoBank (or whatever it's called) users -- about 50% recommend a few swipes at a regular store. And yet none of these folks has recommended a swipe or two of their CGCs.

Folks, each CGC mailed is directly tied to a Chase CC. Just like we login to our accounts to review the latest transactions, so does automation on the Chase end. It only takes one SQL line, about 29 characters, to make the list of transactions for the given CCC also include every CGC (that was bought with that CCC) transaction (the transactions after you get the gift card in the mail). So the folks who don't care about patterns with the other cards, obviously they're not gonna care about these. But the others, why do they care about the AFT/BB/GB but not the CGC?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: AS MVP
OP: it's not paint-by-number, one size fits all nor a race. Try out Chase Gift Cards, Office Supply GCs, VRs, MOs, BB and whatever else you can find. You'll find what works best for your time and comfort level.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 12:23 pm

Thanks once again for all the insightful replies. The “Chase GC-Beans-BB” theory was based on:
… yes, you can use a debit card (in fact some stores will only allow debit or cash, not credit cards) …
I lost focus temporarily and forgot that IF the store allows VR purchase with CC, then there is no advantage or need for the GC. Thanks all for getting me back in line.

Originally Posted by daprophecy
Understood. On further thought, it seems that Chase is accepting all the risk. Generally speaking, it is the SENDER’S responsibility to ensure proper delivery.

… yes, you can use a debit card (in fact some stores will only allow debit or cash, not credit cards) …
Originally Posted by craz
I haven’t found a single place that will accept a GC as the means to pay for any VR.
Perhaps I misinterpreted the “debit card” part of KennyBSAT’s quote to mean “debit or GC”. Is it correct then, even if only hypothetical, that IF a store only allowed “cash/debit/GC” (no CC) for VR purchase, THEN the “Chase GC-Beans-BB” routing makes sense?

I think the heat and the sun here are driving me batty. Thanks very much once again to everyone for helping to set me straight.

OP: it's not paint-by-number, one size fits all nor a race. Try out Chase Gift Cards, Office Supply GCs, VRs, MOs, BB and whatever else you can find. You'll find what works best for your time and comfort level.
Absolutely, thank you. It’s third on my list when I get back home. Right after a slice of pizza and a credit card app-o-rama. Well, maybe there is ONE other thing that’s really first on the list!

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.