Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Greatest way ever to manufacture spend with HIGC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WhateverDude
Please report any successful debit transactions after 8/1/2013 on the wiki. Currently majority of reports indicate failure after 4PM EST on 8/1/13.

Cannot unload at Walmart as of 4PM EST on 8/1/13.

Retailers listed
Home Depot Sears Ace True Value Lowes Orchard Supply Menards Northern Tool & Equipment Restoration Hardware Tractor Supply Stores Lumber Liquidators Do It Best 84 Lumber United Hardware Aubuchon Hardware Handy Hardware Harbor Freight Sherwin Williams Kelly Moore Dunn Edwards Benjamin Moore ToolUp.Com

List of retailers that accept HIGC to buy other Gift cards

Home Depot, Lowes, Sears
Print Wikipost

Greatest way ever to manufacture spend with HIGC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Keep in mind that the blame laid out above is just supposition by the posters. Happens every time something dies -- blame has to be laid somewhere.
Well, the blame was not without reasoning. Trick didn't last for 2 days after he posted it.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: Delta, United, SPG, HHonors, Hyatt
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It's still a very viable tool - aside from using it legitimately on our current houseflip project, I found a useful liquidation method to use occasionally for a mileage bump.
I am curious about your technique. Care to share?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gpen1827
Well, the blame was not without reasoning. Trick didn't last for 2 days after he posted it.
No, that's not understanding the difference between causation and correlation. Unless you can prove causation, it is only correlation. The only reason you have is that you want to believe the connection. That's not nearly enough, and the reasoning is no better than that which Salem citizens used to accuse women of being witches.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: Several dozen
But after those witches in Salem were destroyed, Salem had no further issues with witchcraft. Witches destroyed = witchcraft problem resolved. What more is required to prove causation than the facts speaking for themselves?

"Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk." -- Henry David Thoreau

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
No, that's not understanding the difference between causation and correlation. Unless you can prove causation, it is only correlation. The only reason you have is that you want to believe the connection. That's not nearly enough, and the reasoning is no better than that which Salem citizens used to accuse women of being witches.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BanffJasper
I am curious about your technique. Care to share?
It's not something I would share in the forum, and it's not something one would or should do regularly for karma purposes - it was more of an accidental thing we discovered while legitimately using the card as part of the flip project. It has no long-term legs, so to speak, but an incidental and very occasional benefit to using the card.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:04 pm

Pardon me for this newbie question...

but what is this beast (or bird) called HIGC? Holiday Inn Gift Card or something else?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by phoochka
but what is this beast (or bird) called HIGC? Holiday Inn Gift Card or something else?
Home Improvement Gift Card

It's a prepaid Discover debit card, but the merchants where you can use the card are restricted to home improvement store. For a period of time back in 2013 a certain big box retailer was erroneously classified as a home improvement store.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta, United, SPG, HHonors, Hyatt
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It's not something I would share in the forum, and it's not something one would or should do regularly for karma purposes - it was more of an accidental thing we discovered while legitimately using the card as part of the flip project. It has no long-term legs, so to speak, but an incidental and very occasional benefit to using the card.
I probably should have said that I wasn't trying to ask how it could be used as an avenue for MS, but could see it might be used (or abused) that way if your method is shared here. I just haven't really started my home improvement project and happened to still have a few cards from the old times, so I would benefit from some tips for liquidation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.