Netspend

Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by NEPony
I need help!

Several days ago I decided to get into the MS game again (it was on hold for several months due to a severe shortage of ReloadIT cards here in NE ). I purchased the first set of cards that I found in local grocery store - NetSpend cards.

As it turns out, NetSpend seems to require SSN for US citizens. Even though I was able to assign the PIN number by phone, I could not activate the card without speaking to a 'customer representative'. Since I had no desire to give them my SSN, I hanged up. I did try to make a purchase afterwards, hoping that the card did get activated. Unfortunately, when I swiped and entered then PIN number, I got the message 'Not Authorized'.

To make a long story short - I now have 10 NetSpend cards (500$ each, of course) that I need to cash out. I have no desire to activate each of them using my SSN - I just want to assign a pin and be able to use them to buy MO's.

Can anyone let me know how to activate NetSpend cards without SSN? Please?
oh brother!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Mamibear
Hopefully, other newbies will learn from your experience NEVER, EVER buy huge amounts like this unless they've tried a particular instrument at least once or twice. May this serve as warning to others before they go on a buying spree w/o making plans on how to liquidate should something go wrong. For those just starting, best to test with small amounts first.

as to solution for this, I'd go with what Credipig said. You may have to call them to ask for a refund but be prepared to go back and forth with them (waste a lot of time) because it won't take just one call to get your refund. Check feedback/reviews about GD to know other people's experiences in dealing with them. Hopefully, you have $5K as float to pay your CC bills so you don't have to pay fees/interests on them. Good luck!
NEPony above is good way out.

Alternately you can offer your friends and relatives the $500 value card at a discount. Calculate at rounded off 2 cents a mile for what you earned and discount accordingly. also prepay / overpay large bills AFTER making sure they refund the overages !
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:34 pm

Those are good suggestions HMPS but I re-read the OP and this will be a major obstacle to even use the GCs as CCs:

Even though I was able to assign the PIN number by phone, I could not activate the card without speaking to a 'customer representative'.
UNLESS cards are activated, they can't be used as payment so that if let's say, insurance company is willing to accept CCs for auto/home premiums, these unactivated cards will not go through.

NEPony may not have other options but call and speak to a rep. Hopefully, the rep is cooperative and willing to help.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate, Amex, Delta, AA, BA Avios, United, US Airways, Marriott, Hilton
Can't you talk to rep and get a refund?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:28 am

I need help!

Several days ago I decided to get into the MS game again (it was on hold for several months due to a severe shortage of ReloadIT cards here in NE ). I purchased the first set of cards that I found in local grocery store - NetSpend cards.

As it turns out, NetSpend seems to require SSN for US citizens. Even though I was able to assign the PIN number by phone, I could not activate the card without speaking to a 'customer representative'. Since I had no desire to give them my SSN, I hanged up. I did try to make a purchase afterwards, hoping that the card did get activated. Unfortunately, when I swiped and entered then PIN number, I got the message 'Not Authorized'.

To make a long story short - I now have 10 NetSpend cards (500$ each, of course) that I need to cash out. I have no desire to activate each of them using my SSN - I just want to assign a pin and be able to use them to buy MO's.

Can anyone let me know how to activate NetSpend cards without SSN? Please?

any update???
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:21 pm

Update

Update regarding my 'situation' with NetSpend cards.

First thing I did is I went back to grocery chain where I bought the cards. As expected, they said that they don't refund any gift or reloadable cards. I expected as much, but figured I would try this as it would be the easiest way to get the money back.

Then, researching these cards further, I uncovered an interesting tidbit - non-US residents can obtain this card as well, by registering with appropriate ID - driver's license or passport.

To make a long story short, I have activated four of the cards using NetSpend web site, applying as a non-US resident (which is indeed my case - I am here on a visa ). My card got activated, with the caveat that within a month I need to fax a copy of passport/drivers license etc. As I don't plan on keeping these cards, I will skip this particular step. As a side note, I don't think the site actually validates name/address/document #

I already used these cards to load BB, proving that the approach works.

So, hope this helps others who might find themselves in the similar situation
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:25 pm

Update regarding my 'situation' with NetSpend cards.

First thing I did is I went back to grocery chain where I bought the cards. As expected, they said that they don't refund any gift or reloadable cards. I expected as much, but figured I would try this as it would be the easiest way to get the money back.

Then, researching these cards further, I uncovered an interesting tidbit - non-US residents can obtain this card as well, by registering with appropriate ID - driver's license or passport.

To make a long story short, I have activated four of the cards using NetSpend web site, applying as a non-US resident (which is indeed my case - I am here on a visa ). My card got activated, with the caveat that within a month I need to fax a copy of passport/drivers license etc. As I don't plan on keeping these cards, I will skip this particular step. As a side note, I don't think the site actually validates name/address/document #

I already used these cards to load BB, proving that the approach works.

So, hope this helps others who might find themselves in the similar situation
How did you register with other id? Online or via the phone?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:28 pm

I found a cool place that will let me buy reload with a CC. However, when the lady swipes the reload carton on what looks like a debit card reader with a number pad and chooses $400 she gets a print out saying "Transaction Rejected"? Any idea how to help her activate that reload card? Thanks
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:35 pm

Netspend charges

Bought a $400 Netspend visa card.
Nube questions, direct me to Netspend wiki if there is one, I couldn't find it.
If I unload it, should I unload it for $398 as there is a $2 fee?
Does card default to Pay-As-You-Go plan?
No way to select plan when I activated card that I saw.
To avoid account maintenance fee, do you just cancel card after you unload it?
Better to just buy new card than try to reload?
Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:34 am

Hi all, I'm new to the netSpend card. Im sure this has been answered before, but can u pay credit card bills using the funds from netspend account? If yes whats the fee.

Thanks
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aabey D'mello
Hi all, I'm new to the netSpend card. Im sure this has been answered before, but can u pay credit card bills using the funds from netspend account? If yes whats the fee.

Thanks
If you load and dump or have high amounts per transaction and pay off your CCs, you will be shut down before you can count to 3. NetSpend is for doing tons of very small transactions Its target isnt someone with a CC its someone who cant get a CC. Load too much and you will shut down and they will hold the funds till you get the FDIC on their backs.Im talking from experience
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by craz
If you load and dump or have high amounts per transaction and pay off your CCs, you will be shut down before you can count to 3. NetSpend is for doing tons of very small transactions Its target isnt someone with a CC its someone who cant get a CC. Load too much and you will shut down and they will hold the funds till you get the FDIC on their backs.Im talking from experience
Thanks for the quick reply. Doesn't seem too useful for my purpose (meeting min spends on new ccs). Since I already have it now I guess i'll just load small amounts every 3 months to avoid the account maintenance fee. Withdraw it all at once and close the account
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:11 am

Are there any shut down risks if I buy Netspend Reload Packs to load my Netspend account? Just looking to add money up to 5k to max up the savings bonus.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by flanmann
Are there any shut down risks if I buy Netspend Reload Packs to load my Netspend account? Just looking to add money up to 5k to max up the savings bonus.
did you find out this answer? i'm at 1500 and cannot load anymore.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by isriam
did you find out this answer? i'm at 1500 and cannot load anymore.
If you're in TX you can reload at most (if not all) HEB's with a debit card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.