Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa GC at Weis Markets = CC points + Gas Points + Free stuff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Weis Markets is a grocery chain in PA, MD, DC, VA, DE, NJ and NY. You earn Weis Reward points from shopping on grocery (1x) and pharmacy (100 points), and gift cards (2x or 4x). Reward points expire on a rolling (holiday) basis. Check your receipt and phone app.

GCs normally earn 2x or 4x Weis Reward points. Some (or most) Weis stores carry $500 GCs and now accept credit card payments for GCs. Most will check ID and verify credit cards.

You redeem Weis Reward points for grocery items and gas discount.

The gas discount is $0.10 for 100 points, up to $1.00 and 20 gallons each fill. Points can be redeemed at Weis Gas N Go, Sheetz, High's, Mirabito and Carroll Motor Fuels.

Grocery discount normally 2 items per household. Either free item or discount price per pound. You can also redeem points for 5% discount coupons.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:19 am

Maybe it does not work for the Variable Cards?

I do recall signing signs that say something to the effect: "up to $200." If the party is over, I wouldn't be surprised. I always thought it was ridiculous how generous they were with the points.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
Originally Posted by Tuppins
My Weis stopped giving gas points too. This avenue looks to be dead, or at least will only appear periodically like Giant.
Has anybody purchased non-gift card items since 12/28, and even other kinds of gift cards, eg Mastercard, Amazon.com GC, etc, to see if ALL items in store are effected or only MC and Visa gift cards effected?

Especially around the holidays, it is quite legitimate for normal folks to buy gift cards, just in smaller increments; usually $25 - $200. Did anyone go to the cust svc desk and ask if there was a policy change to restrict gas points from MC/Visa GCs? If you only buy one $500 GC at a time, look at your receipts and notice IF no pts post, then go ask cust svc, "why no pts?" No one should look at you like you are a scammer, right?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL, AA
I bought a VGC ($500) at a Weis on Saturday and received points for it. At least they printed on the receipt, I haven't tried to redeem them yet. They had to get a manager's approval and wrote down some info. They said they fill out the paper for anything over $400.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:43 pm

Weis expiration date change?

I made a purchase today (1/19) and noticed the expiration date of gas points is now 2/28/15. I checked a receipt from 1/14 and see the expiration date was 2/28 then also.

On a receipt dated 1/8, expiration date was 3/14/15.

I asked at the customer svc desk if the expiration period had changed, and they still thought it was in March; so clearly they had not been informed of any corporate changes.

Any one know what's up?
Old May 24, 2015, 10:20 am
TPP

Programs: DL, US, AA
New policy in effect for stores in my area. MC and Visa VGC can only be purchased with cash or debit cards. Managers have been talking recently about scammers buying cards with fake credit cards. Sad day for me.

On to the next opportunity!
Old May 24, 2015, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by TPP
New policy in effect for stores in my area. MC and Visa VGC can only be purchased with cash or debit cards. Managers have been talking recently about scammers buying cards with fake credit cards. Sad day for me.

On to the next opportunity!
I believe this is chainwide as of Thursday - hardcoded into registers at the four stores I tried. Truly a sad day!
Old May 24, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Yes, hardcoded everywhere. Somehow I was able to get cards on Thursday but starting Friday the registers denied it.
Old May 24, 2015, 1:37 pm

Logged on just to share the same info for the Maryland stores, I see you good folks were already on to it. No more credit cards for bank issued gift cards; it even mentions it in this weeks ad. I am wondering if it is worth the trouble to continue to buy with a debit card for the gas rewards. I figure $100 gas for $30 fees if you can use the entire 20 gallons per fill.
Old May 25, 2015, 12:39 am

Programs: UA
Very sad indeed. It has been a great by-product of my MS activities.
Unless you can buy VGC at Weis with another VGC (as debit) from another store where you can use CC, it's probably not really worth the trouble any more for me. I know my stores will cross-check my ID with the card and the grocery CC rewards I'll get from another chain are bigger than the savings on the gas from Weis.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by gregoryfo
Logged on just to share the same info for the Maryland stores, I see you good folks were already on to it. No more credit cards for bank issued gift cards; it even mentions it in this weeks ad. I am wondering if it is worth the trouble to continue to buy with a debit card for the gas rewards. I figure $100 gas for $30 fees if you can use the entire 20 gallons per fill.
Yes, that's what it is now - no more free miles/points, BUT... $36 in GC activation fees for $108 in gas, at 2.71/gal. is a deal.

Too bad Weis management was never smart enough to set up a POS system that had automatic CC validation of CCV / ZIP like Wally-mart, that would have saved Weis thousands in fraud losses in the first place.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:37 pm

One door closes, one door opens ... Giant gas pts still alive and well, approx every 4 mos ...
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:28 am

I noticed that some Weis stores now are offering bonus gas points for regular gift cards like ebay. Anyone find a place online that shows this. I checked the circular but didn't see anything.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:39 am

You can still buy merchant gift cards at Weis with credit cards. It's just visas/mcs and Reloadits that require debit only. In my opinion it's still worth using debit to get the gas awards. If you use TMobile to load you get the Reloadit fee reimbursed so you are getting free gas.
Weis is very strict about their own gift cards. No gas awards are given on those. But they don't seem to categorize any other kind of gift card as an exclusion even though their T&C include gcs.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
I noticed that some Weis stores now are offering bonus gas points for regular gift cards like ebay. Anyone find a place online that shows this. I checked the circular but didn't see anything.
This is correct, all merchant GCs earn Weis points, and can be bought with credit card.

Visa, MC, AMEX GCs still earn points, but MUST be bought with debit with PIN or cash ONLY.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by fletchbo
This is correct, all merchant GCs earn Weis points, and can be bought with credit card.

Visa, MC, AMEX GCs still earn points, but MUST be bought with debit with PIN or cash ONLY.
I know that, what I was stating was some merchants were giving 4X gas rewards instead of the standard 1X. Darden Restaurants was an example, 4X gas rewards.

I was asking if they advertise this anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.