Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread on this topic for 2017. It is here.

As always, YMMV from store to store and cashier to cashier.

Any product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services(like Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA) will not work for swiped-PIN transactions exceeding $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's auto-drain at Walmart.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction.

Before you swipe, the cashier needs to know how much you want removed from each and every Gebit because they need to type in that amount. Of course, the Gebit must have a current balance of that amount or more otherwise you will get Error 51.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by esha1
Does the $500 MC from grocery stores work in Walmart?
NO. there are no MC that work at WM.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by esha1
Does the $500 MC from grocery stores work in Walmart?
yes, as long as they're not the Vanilla ones.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
Just to be clear: You still had to give them all your personal info, which they typed into terminal instead of paper form.
They don't ask for your social do they? Im visiting friends who live off of Leesburg Pike this weekend so I can stop there. My WMs usually limit me to 4k but never ask for my info. Do you give them your SS#?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
yes, as long as they're not the Vanilla ones.
master cards don't work.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by cruisr
master cards don't work.
Despite your adamant statements, you are incorrect.

I have done middle six digits of MOs this year so far and while 90% were VGC, the other 10% were US Bank MGC.

Perhaps your technique is lacking?

You may have to (depending on the machine and updates) swipe before they punch 500, and then hit cancel/changepayment/debit etc. Although I haven't had to do that recently as I recall. Last time I used MGC was probably 3-4 weeks ago.

I preferentially buy the VGC at my go to location, but when I exhaust their supply and no new ones are in yet, then I start working through the MGC. Recently they filled the racks with VGC again and I'm golden for another 50k or so before I burn through those (just did 6k every day this week of VGC->MO)
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by cruisr
master cards don't work.
I just used a US Bank MC a few days ago
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I just used a US Bank MC a few days ago
Same here. US Bank Mastercards from Bed Bath and Beyond worked for me at the beginning of the month.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:04 pm

Last edited by Chelski; Jan 9, 2016 at 7:04 am
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Chelski
and it was still the paper M0ney Serv!ces Act!v!ty Rep0rt. They don't do a very good job at concealing what they are filing as instructed by F!nC3n
they need not conceal anything; that is not a FINCen form.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:11 pm

Last edited by Chelski; Jan 9, 2016 at 7:04 am
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:56 am

A "Services" report need not be filed in any manner
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:02 am

Interesting experience at my nearest WM yesterday. In the past, I have had significant problems trying to purchase money orders using split payments at this particular WM. I eventually realized that the problems only occurred when I was assisted by one particular CSR, an older woman who also gives the impression that she doesn't want to be bothered. Last week, i encountered this CSR again and found that she was following the same procedure as she always had in the past. I questioned the procedure that she was following and provided her with the details describing the procedure that I believed was necessary to successful process a split tender transaction. Miraculously, it actually worked. I'm am not certain, but I have a suspicion that this CSR may have been purposely following the wrong procedure for split tender transactions because she didn't want to deal with MSers.

Fast forward to yesterday. I returned to the same WM to purchase two $1000 MOs with four $500 gebit cards. I generally pay for the MOs with 4 gebits and pay the $1.40 in fees in cash. At the time of my arrival, there are no other customers in the Customer Service area, but there are two CSRs behind the counter. One is the aforementioned older woman and the other is a man who looks to be about 20. As I stand a short distance from the counter, neither CSR acknowledges my presence. The older woman stares down at the counter and s seemingly doing everything she can to avoid any type of eye contact.

Knowing that the older woman has not been too helpful in the past, I approach the younger gentlemen and tell him that I would like to purchase two $1000 money orders by using four separate debit cards. As he enters the information into the POS, I place $1.40 on the counter to cover the cost of the fees. Upon seeing this, the CSR asks me how many debit cards I plan to use and whether the debit cards have my name on them. I respond by saying that I plan to use four debit cards and pay the fees in cash. I then show him my personalized gebits with my name on them. The CSR then states that split tender transactions are limited to four forms of psyment and that the payment of the fees in cash would constitute a fifth form of payment. Knowing that he is technically correct in that regard but that the POS will actually accept five forms of payment (including four swipes and one cash payment), I tell him that I was able to make payment in that manner the previous week. When he asks me who processed that payment, I tell him that it was the other CSR standing next to him.

The young CSR then says that he will bring a supervisor over to discuss the matter. The supervisor confirms the young CSR's understanding of the policy. When I tell her that I had previously paid with four debit cards and a small amount of cash, the supevisor asks "Who processed the transaction." I don't respond to the question and the older woman sheepishly admits that she had processed the transaction. When the supervisor ashes her if anyone had approved the transaction, the older woman mumbled something that she most likely did not want the supervisor to understand.

When I played dumb and asked the supervisor if I could buy the money orders as part of two separate transactions, she answered that would not be possible because it would constitute "structuring". I told that I didn't know what that meant and then proceeded to thank her and the young CSR for helping me understand the policy.

At that point, I should have just told the CSR that I wanted to purchase on MO for $1000 and another for $998.60, I was a bit flustered and just purchased a single MO for $1000.

This discussion was conducted in an entirely courteous manner and did not cause a disturbance or draw attention to anyone. The only one who may have been a little uncomfortable about the situation was the older CSR.

Interestingly enough, there is another WM nearby that will only allow two swipes per transaction and will not allow more than one transaction per visit involving MOs.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by kharlamov
Interesting experience at my nearest WM yesterday. In the past, I have had significant problems trying to purchase money orders using split payments at this particular WM. I eventually realized that the problems only occurred when I was assisted by one particular CSR, an older woman who also gives the impression that she doesn't want to be bothered. Last week, i encountered this CSR again and found that she was following the same procedure as she always had in the past. I questioned the procedure that she was following and provided her with the details describing the procedure that I believed was necessary to successful process a split tender transaction. Miraculously, it actually worked. I'm am not certain, but I have a suspicion that this CSR may have been purposely following the wrong procedure for split tender transactions because she didn't want to deal with MSers.

Fast forward to yesterday. I returned to the same WM to purchase two $1000 MOs with four $500 gebit cards. I generally pay for the MOs with 4 gebits and pay the $1.40 in fees in cash. At the time of my arrival, there are no other customers in the Customer Service area, but there are two CSRs behind the counter. One is the aforementioned older woman and the other is a man who looks to be about 20. As I stand a short distance from the counter, neither CSR acknowledges my presence. The older woman stares down at the counter and s seemingly doing everything she can to avoid any type of eye contact.

Knowing that the older woman has not been too helpful in the past, I approach the younger gentlemen and tell him that I would like to purchase two $1000 money orders by using four separate debit cards. As he enters the information into the POS, I place $1.40 on the counter to cover the cost of the fees. Upon seeing this, the CSR asks me how many debit cards I plan to use and whether the debit cards have my name on them. I respond by saying that I plan to use four debit cards and pay the fees in cash. I then show him my personalized gebits with my name on them. The CSR then states that split tender transactions are limited to four forms of psyment and that the payment of the fees in cash would constitute a fifth form of payment. Knowing that he is technically correct in that regard but that the POS will actually accept five forms of payment (including four swipes and one cash payment), I tell him that I was able to make payment in that manner the previous week. When he asks me who processed that payment, I tell him that it was the other CSR standing next to him.

The young CSR then says that he will bring a supervisor over to discuss the matter. The supervisor confirms the young CSR's understanding of the policy. When I tell her that I had previously paid with four debit cards and a small amount of cash, the supevisor asks "Who processed the transaction." I don't respond to the question and the older woman sheepishly admits that she had processed the transaction. When the supervisor ashes her if anyone had approved the transaction, the older woman mumbled something that she most likely did not want the supervisor to understand.

When I played dumb and asked the supervisor if I could buy the money orders as part of two separate transactions, she answered that would not be possible because it would constitute "structuring". I told that I didn't know what that meant and then proceeded to thank her and the young CSR for helping me understand the policy.

At that point, I should have just told the CSR that I wanted to purchase on MO for $1000 and another for $998.60, I was a bit flustered and just purchased a single MO for $1000.

This discussion was conducted in an entirely courteous manner and did not cause a disturbance or draw attention to anyone. The only one who may have been a little uncomfortable about the situation was the older CSR.

Interestingly enough, there is another WM nearby that will only allow two swipes per transaction and will not allow more than one transaction per visit involving MOs.
Wow great job on making msing harder for everybody else. You'll be able to ms more by flying under the radar and not causing problems.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:48 am

Deleted

Last edited by Lucky888; Oct 17, 2015 at 11:33 pm
Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by kharlamov

Why would you do that if she's always there? At least she was willing to let you use four gift cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.