Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread on this topic for 2017. It is here.

As always, YMMV from store to store and cashier to cashier.

Any product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services(like Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA) will not work for swiped-PIN transactions exceeding $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's auto-drain at Walmart.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction.

Before you swipe, the cashier needs to know how much you want removed from each and every Gebit because they need to type in that amount. Of course, the Gebit must have a current balance of that amount or more otherwise you will get Error 51.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Ram Trucks
I don't hide anything. At my store, they allow split transactions, and multiple transactions with no question.^
I thought I read somewhere that you posted that your WM is 300 miles RT? I guess you don't have a lot of people buying MOs in whatever area of the country that is. There are areas that ha e a lot of people buying MOs and each area will eventually have limits IMHO. It's just rolling out slowly.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cruisr
I thought I read somewhere that you posted that your WM is 300 miles RT? I guess you don't have a lot of people buying MOs in whatever area of the country that is. There are areas that ha e a lot of people buying MOs and each area will eventually have limits IMHO. It's just rolling out slowly.
Yes, Im in a very rural, sparsely populated state. They couldn't care less about me buying Money Orders with Gift Cards here.
Old May 25, 2016, 7:18 am

Yes, just bought 4 2-DAY ($500 Each), and bought 2, $999.30 MO's with Them (4 swipes, $500 Each). No problem! Lately I have only found Greenies at my WM. As long as They're not "Vanilla", yes, u can buy MO's with Them at WM.
the green dot that folks have discussed here is the moneypak, correct? how much is the purchase fee & monthly maintenance fee? is it reloadable like amex serve or bb whereby we can load GCs to it? TIA
Old May 25, 2016, 7:41 am

No, it's just the issuing bank of a normal $500 VGC that can be purchased at WM
Old May 25, 2016, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by missing_link
I've seen a variation of that policy: all MOs must be done in same transaction. The real kicker is that they no longer allow split payment.
The CSR let me split payment, however he wouldn't let me run 2 separate MO transactions due to having six $300 Staples GCs (4 swipe limit). The guy has always been a D no matter how nice my wife and I are to him, so I'll just have to go back when a different employee works.

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Bengali Ben ?
Not him (unless I just haven't seen him). We have two characters known by the CSRs as the "post-it" guy and the "purple-haired" lady. The CSRs like to talk unprompted about us = "oh, the purple hair lady was here today trying to do more than $10k......"
Old May 25, 2016, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
the green dot that folks have discussed here is the moneypak, correct? how much is the purchase fee & monthly maintenance fee? is it reloadable like amex serve or bb whereby we can load GCs to it? TIA
Originally Posted by CWAL
No, it's just the issuing bank of a normal $500 VGC that can be purchased at WM
i see, it's not a gobank grren dot prepaid card? I assume that a greendot VGC could be paid with a CC? If not, there's no benefit
Old May 25, 2016, 8:50 am

It's just a green dot bank VGC, and yes, payable with CC..
Old May 25, 2016, 9:14 am

For the people who have different Walmarts :

The one where I work near doesn't have a money center but runs their MO, billpay at their customer service desk. They don't close until ~12pm tonight, and I get off work around 10pm. Do those Walmarts sell the MO that late in the evening?
Old May 25, 2016, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by BananaPeppers
The one where I work near doesn't have a money center but runs their MO, billpay at their customer service desk. They don't close until ~12pm tonight, and I get off work around 10pm. Do those Walmarts sell the MO that late in the evening?
why wouldn't they if its within their business hours? why not try it and see?
Old May 25, 2016, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
why wouldn't they if its within their business hours? why not try it and see?
I will try. I guess if money center shuts down, has anyone been successful getting MO from customer service at night?
Old May 25, 2016, 9:51 am

I will try. I guess if money center shuts down, has anyone been successful getting MO from customer service at night?
No. The Neighborhood Market CS desks in Dallas will shut down the Money Centers usually at 10 (or a little before then) even though the CS desk is open almost all night.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:12 am

At a WM Supercenter, once the MC is shut down, I've never been able to buy a MO from anywhere else.

Different story at Neighborhood Markets. We have a couple Neighborhood Markets that are open 24 hrs, and I've been able to buy MOs at any hour at the CS desk.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:18 am
Suspended

In all the stores I have been to, the courtesy desk (ergo, MO's), closed after 10 PM.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:43 pm

Had an interesting day today.

The first lady in the morning did two separate $999.30 transactions for me. I then went again tonight to the same place and a different lady was at the CS desk. I asked her if I could get two MO for 999.30 and I asked for it separately. She told me that "we don't do that here, it has to be in ONE single transaction. So I asked her what that meant as earlier in the day, the first lady separated with no difficulties. She told me she would do it with one transaction, meaning only one receipt but can do two different MOs. I said fine. So then she rings up for a total of $2k. I told her that I wanted to split the payment as I will be paying with multiple cards. She gave me a funny look and then asked for my debit card. She looked at it, and then "tried" to swipe it on her screen but nothing went through. I told her I wanted to pay $500. She tried to do it but it wouldn't go through. I'm not sure if she was trying to pay $1000 at a time but it failed.

I then went to another WM and she was a little hesitant when I told her I wanted $2k in MOs. Mind you, I'm in my work clothes -- professional looking. She again said the same thing, ONE transaction per money order. I asked her why they do this and she said it is to prevent "structuring." How does ONE transaction prevent "structuring" if you can go up to $2k in the MO? Anyway, she swiped 4 separate times for me.

I applaud to those who can do this regularly and NOT look suspicious. It's definitely time consuming and takes A LOT of work.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA

Originally Posted by missing_link
At a WM Supercenter, once the MC is shut down, I've never been able to buy a MO from anywhere else.

Different story at Neighborhood Markets. We have a couple Neighborhood Markets that are open 24 hrs, and I've been able to buy MOs at any hour at the CS desk.
In all the stores I have been to, the courtesy desk (ergo, MO's), closed after 10 PM.
In my neck of the woods, as long as the courtesy desk is manned, you can do financial transactions, even when the money center is closed. I have dune transactions at 5 AM and at 11 PM.
I would suggest that you just go up to the CSR and ask if you can purchase a money order and if you can use your debit card to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.