Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aeneas3
Wiki to track data points for Variable load GC at various locations:

raghu455: Variable loads not ringing up at register on 7/9 at 3 south bay area locations.

topenga47: Sarasota FL OD is cash only at register on 7/10

townhurst: OD at Firestone in Norwalk, CA cash only and CC denied at register

fangtl: Register showing cash only message prompt at Sterling, VA OD.

Emma dog: atlanta OD (Cheshire bridge&piedmont) has a register lockout forcing cash only.

Mooper: Cash only @ OD in MT for variable, but $100/$200 Visa GCs ok w/ CC through Aug. UPDATE: Died in early Sept... cash only for all now.

aeneas3: cash only @OD in Buffalo, NY - popup at the register - 9/20
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 2, 2013, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Not sure if that was announced already, but I was told by a store manager today that OD will have more credit cards soon, but will be accepting cash only. Heads up and stock up if you still find it beneficial to buy gift cards at OD with a credit card.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Interesting. Have not seen or heard anything from the local OD managers yet. I wonder if the restrictions will only be for certain gift cards (i.e., variable), or for all.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 2:57 pm

Yeah the manager at CVS told me the same thing 6 months ago.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by vtqanh
Interesting. Have not seen or heard anything from the local OD managers yet. I wonder if the restrictions will only be for certain gift cards (i.e., variable), or for all.
I assume you mean variable visa/mc gift cards. OD hasn't sold those since Spring.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vtqanh
Have you seen any variable cards @ OD? The largest amount I saw was a fixed $200 GC Visa or MC and at $6.95 which may workout if you only use the INK CC to make it worthwhile

the bad news is OD is taking over OM in the Fall. The OM people werent sure if they were gonna be called OD as well or remian as OMs. Also even if they were to remain as OMs any close by an OD probably will be closed

So most likely the clock is ticking till the Fat Lady sings her song for getting GCs at OMs with a CC as well

Last edited by craz; Jul 2, 2013 at 3:31 pm
Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cashback
Yeah the manager at CVS told me the same thing 6 months ago.
At CVS, they are very inconsistent, some of them don`t care how much you`ll get in Vanilla, others do. Walgreens just across the street has been accepting cash only with a limit of one card for a year now.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
Have you seen any variable cards @ OD? The largest amount I saw was a fixed $200 GC Visa or MC and at $6.95 which may workout if you only use the INK CC to make it worthwhile
l
Same at my store.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Frequent miler has a post on $500 variable loads being back at OD. This would be in time with the OP
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I just bought some GCs from Office Depot yesterday. I didn't have an issue.

They were sold out of Variable loads, and have been for a while.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I find it interesting that having lots of cash to buy things with looks like money laundering, but they don't want you to use cards either.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Managers have been saying this for a while, nothing new to see here, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I find it interesting that having lots of cash to buy things with looks like money laundering, but they don't want you to use cards either.
Might be more about the fees....
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:23 pm

My local staples manager said this a couple month ago and nothing really happened recently.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Managers have been saying this for a while, nothing new to see here, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Might be more about the fees....
I forgot about the fees..
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
There's an OD in California now selling $500 Vanilla GCs, CCs accepted.

Hopefully this is a nationwide rollout.

http://travelwithgrant.com/2013/07/0...-office-depot/
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold, Marriott Silver, Choice Privileges Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by cuebert
There's an OD in California now selling $500 Vanilla GCs, CCs accepted.

Hopefully this is the start of a nationwide rollout.

http://travelwithgrant.com/2013/07/0...-office-depot/
I just read that post as well. I've only had my Ink Bold for a few weeks and have yet to visit an Office Depot with it, but this would definitely help get me in their doors pronto!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.