Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aeneas3
Wiki to track data points for Variable load GC at various locations:

raghu455: Variable loads not ringing up at register on 7/9 at 3 south bay area locations.

topenga47: Sarasota FL OD is cash only at register on 7/10

townhurst: OD at Firestone in Norwalk, CA cash only and CC denied at register

fangtl: Register showing cash only message prompt at Sterling, VA OD.

Emma dog: atlanta OD (Cheshire bridge&piedmont) has a register lockout forcing cash only.

Mooper: Cash only @ OD in MT for variable, but $100/$200 Visa GCs ok w/ CC through Aug. UPDATE: Died in early Sept... cash only for all now.

aeneas3: cash only @OD in Buffalo, NY - popup at the register - 9/20
Print Wikipost

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
Found some in TX. Manager rang me up. I commented that I hadn't seen these in od in a while. His reply: "yeah, chase made us pull all of them before because of people abusing 5x points. We worked it out so these cards no longer get points, so I don't think many people will be buying them." I played dumb, but he had that "I know why you're buying these and you're going to be disappointed" vibe going. Wouldn't surprise me; as chase can site the t&c about cash equivalents.
Interesting. My next statement won't post until the 22nd. Hope that doesn't mean they'll be treated as a cash advance. If so, I wonder if the $200s will still be treated as current???
Old Jul 4, 2013, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I wonder if they changed a bar code or something so that it rings up differently and shows up as a variable card on the Chase side. That said, I think it's stupid that a credit card company can influence a retailer like that, if he's telling the truth. I'm not sure what leverage Chase could use.
It's my understanding that Chase is handling the OD/OM merger and doing the financing. So Chase may indeed have some clout on this issue.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
I wonder if they changed a bar code or something so that it rings up differently and shows up as a variable card on the Chase side. That said, I think it's stupid that a credit card company can influence a retailer like that, if he's telling the truth. I'm not sure what leverage Chase could use.
If JP Morgan could control the Railroads and completely bought out/retired Andrew Carnegie to control all of the US Steel manufacturing (and that was over a 100 years ago), why would you be unsure that Chase could use any leverage over little ole' OD?
Old Jul 4, 2013, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
Found some in TX. Manager rang me up. I commented that I hadn't seen these in od in a while. His reply: "yeah, chase made us pull all of them before because of people abusing 5x points. We worked it out so these cards no longer get points, so I don't think many people will be buying them." I played dumb, but he had that "I know why you're buying these and you're going to be disappointed" vibe going. Wouldn't surprise me; as chase can site the t&c about cash equivalents.

He was pretty well informed about manu spend. I told him I didn't know what he meant, as I use them to pay my taxes because they're debit.

My billing cycle just ended 2 days ago. So anyone who bought these with an upcoming cycle end, please post what points you got, if any...
What if you buy something else along with the purchase of gift card?

It sounds like that the manager have his Ink card and wants to have them all.

I've never seen a cashier or manager know that much about 5x Chase Points.

If Chase asked OD to code those gift cards as cash advances, why would OD start cash only on next Monday?
Old Jul 4, 2013, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, Marriott

Chase can easily say:" Office depot spending do not count as 5x." As the national biggest credit car issuer, Chase has huge influence on these store.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by kunk00
Chase can easily say:" Office depot spending do not count as 5x." As the national biggest credit car issuer, Chase has huge influence on these store.
I very seriously doubt that they would do that - out of Ink holders, how many manufacture spend? I would be surprised if it's 5%. After all the money Chase spend on advertising Ink they would not do that.

It would be so much easier for them to work with OD on coding and make sure Chase knows what's bought, so this is much more real, IMO.

No variable GCs for me at OD, but scored EyeFi card for $5
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by Artemk
It would be so much easier for them to work with OD on coding and make sure Chase knows what's bought, so this is much more real, IMO
For those wo have already dived in - do you see any special notation on your account activity? Does it just look like a large OD purchase?
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:22 pm

Any idea if OD in mexico accepts cc payment for visa prepaid cards? I am out of USA for a few days and don't want to miss this opportunity.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
Any idea if OD in mexico accepts cc payment for visa prepaid cards? I am out of USA for a few days and don't want to miss this opportunity.
Even if they do, I've got to imagine that the prepaid cards sold in Mexico wouldn't work back in the U.S. It says an equivalent notation on cards sold in the U.S., domestic use only.

And cards sold in Mexico aren't going to be required to have pins unless there is a Mexican law that requires it, that ruling earlier this year only applies to the U.S.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by rdover1
For those wo have already dived in - do you see any special notation on your account activity? Does it just look like a large OD purchase?

I do not see any special notation on the GC I purchased. It looks the same as all the other OD purchases I have made previously. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people on this forum want to plant doubt into the minds of others, so they can clean up the whole stash at their local OD before Monday.

I look at it this way:If you are purchasing a $1000 laptop computer along with a $500 gift card, what happens then? Is the purchase coded differently and you do not get all the points for the $1000 laptop? That wouldn't be fair. There are too many variables involved for Chase to ask OD to code a purchase including a GC differently. I say if you have any OD near you that is selling these variable load GCs, go for it... in moderation, of course!
Old Jul 4, 2013, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PdxDfwFlyer
I do not see any special notation on the GC I purchased. It looks the same as all the other OD purchases I have made previously. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people on this forum want to plant doubt into the minds of others, so they can clean up the whole stash at their local OD before Monday.

I look at it this way:If you are purchasing a $1000 laptop computer along with a $500 gift card, what happens then? Is the purchase coded differently and you do not get all the points for the $1000 laptop? That wouldn't be fair. There are too many variables involved for Chase to ask OD to code a purchase including a GC differently. I say if you have any OD near you that is selling these variable load GCs, go for it... in moderation, of course!
How is it any different from any store that sells both items that are taxable and items which are not.

Pt is Im sure the system can be programed not to include any item as Pts earning if that store or company so chooses.

btw Hiltons computers do just that, any item you purchase at a Hampton mkt does not earn any pts even if you tell then to charge it to your room. You only earn HH pts for the room rate.If you used a Hilton CC then you will earn pts in accordance to the total charged to your CC. So its not hard at all to key in which charges earn pts and which dont
Old Jul 4, 2013, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by craz
How is it any different from any store that sells both items that are taxable and items which are not.

Pt is Im sure the system can be programed not to include any item as Pts earning if that store or company so chooses.

btw Hiltons computers do just that, any item you purchase at a Hampton mkt does not earn any pts even if you tell then to charge it to your room. You only earn HH pts for the room rate.If you used a Hilton CC then you will earn pts in accordance to the total charged to your CC. So its not hard at all to key in which charges earn pts and which dont
The difference is that Chase doesn't own/manage Office Depot, so Chase doesn't know the detailed breakdown of a purchase at OD.

If OD would code a transaction involving the purchase of a GC differently from other transactions, this would imply that people buying additional non-GC items in that same transaction would miss out on the 5x on the non-GC items. And that wouldn't be fair.

Last edited by PdxDfwFlyer; Jul 4, 2013 at 4:11 pm
Old Jul 4, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by PdxDfwFlyer
Purchased 4 from my local office depot in the PDX area. The store was already running low on these variable load visa gift cards, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are all gone by the next time I go in...plenty of FT'ers in my area I guess.
Visiting from the Bay Area - thx for leaving some. Found the Beaverton store out but the Turlane store had plenty. The manager was needed for an override but was pretty cool. Asked why everyone buying these were all using the same credit card. I said anyone with a business would be crazy to use any other cards at either OD OM or Staples as it was the best card out there for office supplies.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
It may be interesting if something extra is being sent to ID cash equiv purchases. It may be the next step in the constantly changing game. There are reports on FW about how Amex is starting to code VR purchases differently (e.g. no 5 or 6X) at pharmacies. Wonder if Chase is about to do the same.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Not even a space on the gift card rack of 2 Chicago area OD's for the variable load cards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.