Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aeneas3
Wiki to track data points for Variable load GC at various locations:

raghu455: Variable loads not ringing up at register on 7/9 at 3 south bay area locations.

topenga47: Sarasota FL OD is cash only at register on 7/10

townhurst: OD at Firestone in Norwalk, CA cash only and CC denied at register

fangtl: Register showing cash only message prompt at Sterling, VA OD.

Emma dog: atlanta OD (Cheshire bridge&piedmont) has a register lockout forcing cash only.

Mooper: Cash only @ OD in MT for variable, but $100/$200 Visa GCs ok w/ CC through Aug. UPDATE: Died in early Sept... cash only for all now.

aeneas3: cash only @OD in Buffalo, NY - popup at the register - 9/20
Print Wikipost

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
Are the variable load GCs that people have found with the main gift card kiosk? or somewhere else in the store.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by vinyalwhl
Are the variable load GCs that people have found with the main gift card kiosk? or somewhere else in the store.
in my case, they were with all the rest. this OD didn't have a very large gc selection, and the new Van visa, paypal and variable AMEX took up fully 1/2 the display. this was clearly coordinated; as they went from zero to fully stocked in everything- including paypal reloads, which i had never seen before in an OD.

really looking to see what comes on monday and also hoping someone who bought already also had their billing cycle close so we can see if the 5x gets credited.

frankly, if they have to take away anything, i'd rather it be the 5x rather than going to cash only. then i could still use my SPG card. it's a wash with the cost at drug stores, but would certainly stay under the radar easier than 10's of thousands at drug stores!
Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Here in TX, OD hasn't had any gift cards on the rack for weeks or months - only flimsy copies of them (up to $200). I have to take them to the register and they go get the actual cards from the office or storeroom behind the registers. They say, as of yesterday, no variable load cards but I have no way to know for sure.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by vinyalwhl
In main rack with other gift cards (restaurants, iTunes, etc.) in PDX area.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:10 pm
Community Director Emerita

I went to my local OD tonight (San Diego area). One of the managers was restocking the gift cards. He confirmed that yes, the variable visa cards will be back on the shelf on Monday, and yes, they are coded in such a way that they cannot be purchased with credit cards. It's a cash only buy.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I went to my local OD tonight (San Diego area). One of the managers was restocking the gift cards. He confirmed that yes, the variable visa cards will be back on the shelf on Monday, and yes, they are coded in such a way that they cannot be purchased with credit cards. It's a cash only buy.
Ditto in New York. Manager at the Times Square OD said variable cards coming in Monday; cash only effective immediately even for a few variable AMEX cards they had on display.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXC PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt PLT, National Car Executive
Went to the Little Tokyo OD tonight in LA. Had VR at the GC section and the register. Purchased 2 500. It did require secondary approval but had no issues. Fee was $4.95
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:42 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by jerroranda
Went to the Little Tokyo OD tonight in LA. Had VR at the GC section and the register. Purchased 2 500. It did require secondary approval but had no issues. Fee was $4.95
Just to confirm, you successfully purchased the (new, with 4.95 fees )VR's at OD?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA,SPG,Carlson,Hertz
Originally Posted by vtqanh
Just to confirm, you successfully purchased the (new, with 4.95 fees )VR's at OD?
Maybe it's meant as van gc
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:25 am

I was at 2 ODs. One that I reported before with the VRs that didn't ring up, which also had variable GCs. The other just had the $200 max. Both in SEA area.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Here in TX, OD hasn't had any gift cards on the rack for weeks or months - only flimsy copies of them (up to $200). I have to take them to the register and they go get the actual cards from the office or storeroom behind the registers. They say, as of yesterday, no variable load cards but I have no way to know for sure.
Seems as though the stores in southern Houston were hit pretty hard with fraud on the vanilla cards. Went to three stores in close proximity to my place yesterday to buy free stamps. I inquired about the cards when I did not see any on the shelf. The responses were similar: haven't had them for months and probably won't get them back due to major CC fraud in their region. One even stated they were the hardest hit region in the company? Take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure they will be back eventually, but probably cash only.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: Too many.
Chitown

A couple of us checked out 6 OD yesterday: 2 in city and 4 in western burbs. 0 for 6. Managers in 3 stores knew nothing. Would love a pm from anyone who has struck gold.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Msmcmotown
A couple of us checked out 6 OD yesterday: 2 in city and 4 in western burbs. 0 for 6. Managers in 3 stores knew nothing. Would love a pm from anyone who has struck gold.
None at OD in Orland Park a couple days ago.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by Msmcmotown
I also checked some along the drive from ORD-MKE and saw nothing
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
None in northern va yet, checked at the one in 7 corners

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.