Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aeneas3
Wiki to track data points for Variable load GC at various locations:

raghu455: Variable loads not ringing up at register on 7/9 at 3 south bay area locations.

topenga47: Sarasota FL OD is cash only at register on 7/10

townhurst: OD at Firestone in Norwalk, CA cash only and CC denied at register

fangtl: Register showing cash only message prompt at Sterling, VA OD.

Emma dog: atlanta OD (Cheshire bridge&piedmont) has a register lockout forcing cash only.

Mooper: Cash only @ OD in MT for variable, but $100/$200 Visa GCs ok w/ CC through Aug. UPDATE: Died in early Sept... cash only for all now.

aeneas3: cash only @OD in Buffalo, NY - popup at the register - 9/20
Print Wikipost

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Old Apr 12, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Pure speculation, but I have a sneaking suspicion that $200 VGCs may be going the way of the dodo at OD. Went to my normal store and they only had 2 on the rack. Picked those up and went to a second store. They had no 200 VGCs, not even a slot on the rack for them. Asked and the guy grabbed the inventory sheet - not even listed (as in they aren't selling them)... Went to a third store. Again, no 200s on the rack. Guy went and checked for me and showed none in stock in any store in the area....

Again, speculation based on a few data points, but it certainly seems odd.
Not so odd given that VR's are now only available at a few locations with credit card
Old Apr 12, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by smitty06
Not so odd given that VR's are now only available at a few locations with credit card
I'm not sure I see the correlation. Those that were VRing were likely getting a bonus at CVS. Those same cards don't earn a bonus at OS stores. The number of people Inking shouldn't have gone up that drastically this fast. Unless those people suddenly have acquired cards that earn a bonus for OS stores, there are much cheaper places to get VGCs
Old Apr 12, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
I think we are talking about $200. GCs here (Visa) not VRs.

OD in this area also have not been restocking the $200.s
OMax has not restocked since the big deal last month. They do not have a space on the rack open for them now. The cashiers say they have no clue why they do not have them.
Seems very odd to me also.
This would put a serious crimp in the Ink 5x office store activity. $100s won't cut it.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: Braniff, TWA, Eastern, Midwest, AA Exec, Club Carlson Gold
I bought two $200 VGCs at my local OD today. There were plenty more.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by jasonvr
I'm not sure I see the correlation. Those that were VRing were likely getting a bonus at CVS. Those same cards don't earn a bonus at OS stores. The number of people Inking shouldn't have gone up that drastically this fast. Unless those people suddenly have acquired cards that earn a bonus for OS stores, there are much cheaper places to get VGCs
VRing originally started with Ink, Office stores stopped VRs. People had Ink before Citi and AmEx for CVS....
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Electroman
I saw some $400s Visas last night at Target (not OD, sorry.) $5.95 was the price IIRC.
That's an interesting development, since I have a couple of cards that get me 3x points at Targets.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:56 am

What type of VGCs are sold at OD? MB OR Vanilla?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:16 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
MB... the same as Staples I believe. but could be USB, def not Vanilla though.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
The title of this thread needs to be changed to read "Office Depot will soon be accepting cash only for VARIABLE load gift card purchases" Fixed amount cards can still be purchased with a credit card.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pkerr
The title of this thread needs to be changed to read "Office Depot will soon be accepting cash only for VARIABLE load gift card purchases" Fixed amount cards can still be purchased with a credit card.
You could probably leave out the 'soon'
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FTRox87
I was never able to find any MBs @ OD , only some vanilla. However OM (whom OD took over) had MBs and no vanilla.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by pkerr
Don't think the title can be changed, however start a new thread with a proper title and merge this one.....Few more other threads need that to be done.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FTRox87
Wrong info. You confuse OfficeMax with OD.

Originally Posted by craz
I was never able to find any MBs @ OD , only some vanilla. However OM (whom OD took over) had MBs and no vanilla.
Correct.

we dropped by an OD because it was right next to the car dealership where we had our car repair. It only carries Vanilla types, and very very few retailer gift cards. We need HD and it is plentiful at OfficeMax but not available at OD at all. The only meaningful retailer one available that I saw at that OD, was Shell.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Wrong info. You confuse OfficeMax with OD.

Correct.

we dropped by an OD because it was right next to the car dealership where we had our car repair. It only carries Vanilla types, and very very few retailer gift cards. We need HD and it is plentiful at OfficeMax but not available at OD at all. The only meaningful retailer one available that I saw at that OD, was Shell.
Actually not wrong info and not correct. My OD (not confusing it with OM) has non variable $200 visas/mcs just like the ones at staples. They also have the vanilla variables, but we all know those are cash only hardcoded. My OD also has HD. So perhaps, it is only your ODs and not a nationwide thing.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
Actually not wrong info and not correct. My OD (not confusing it with OM) has non variable $200 visas/mcs just like the ones at staples. They also have the vanilla variables, but we all know those are cash only hardcoded. My OD also has HD. So perhaps, it is only your ODs and not a nationwide thing.
Regional may be?

All my friends on the Eastern seaboard from North (New England and NYC) to South (down to Florida) have the same findings like mine..

May be West coast or Midwest have something different.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.