Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aeneas3
Wiki to track data points for Variable load GC at various locations:

raghu455: Variable loads not ringing up at register on 7/9 at 3 south bay area locations.

topenga47: Sarasota FL OD is cash only at register on 7/10

townhurst: OD at Firestone in Norwalk, CA cash only and CC denied at register

fangtl: Register showing cash only message prompt at Sterling, VA OD.

Emma dog: atlanta OD (Cheshire bridge&piedmont) has a register lockout forcing cash only.

Mooper: Cash only @ OD in MT for variable, but $100/$200 Visa GCs ok w/ CC through Aug. UPDATE: Died in early Sept... cash only for all now.

aeneas3: cash only @OD in Buffalo, NY - popup at the register - 9/20
Print Wikipost

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:16 pm

Swing and a miss in central CT.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA,SPG,Carlson,Hertz
Originally Posted by teammjs
Could you at least identify the state so we can make some educated guesses if there is a chance they could be rolling these out nationwide?
CA
Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by pier11
What is reasonable amount per cc in your opinion?
Depends if someone wants it to last or not. If more people went out and bought 12 at a time, it isn't going to last.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by BigDawgFT
I bought 12, split among 2 Ink cards.
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
If you're really interested in having it last, buying 12 isn't a good way to have it happen .
In a country of an est. 316 MILLION people, twelve cards are going to make a difference?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Zero for two in Northern VA tonight.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bender464
In a country of an est. 316 MILLION people, twelve cards are going to make a difference?
I don't have a problem with poster getting 12 cards. But that isn't a way that it is going to last any length of time. Even when VRs were available, there were plenty of ODs completely out of stock for long periods of time.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I don't have a problem with poster getting 12 cards. But that isn't a way that it is going to last any length of time. Even when VRs were available, there were plenty of ODs completely out of stock for long periods of time.
Sure, just saying that telling that to 1 person, or 50, or even 100 is not going to stem the tide. Have you seen "World War Z"?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by Bender464
Sure, just saying that telling that to 1 person, or 50, or even 100 is not going to stem the tide. Have you seen "World War Z"?
All you need to do is build a big wall around office depot, problem solved
Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:59 pm

Scored a $500 card in Manhattan Beach, along with some free stamps.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Time to do a GC run to sunny CA...
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:19 pm

I bought 12 because a manager at another OD told me this morning that these were going to be cash only on Monday. That's what I meant by I hope it lasts after Monday; that is, purchase by CC. Being told they will be cash only on Monday, yes, I bought 12, but I did leave several dozen in $500 Visas and AmX gift cards. They were very well stocked at the time.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigDawgFT
I bought 12 because a manager at another OD told me this morning that these were going to be cash only on Monday. That's what I meant by I hope it lasts after Monday; that is, purchase by CC. Being told they will be cash only on Monday, yes, I bought 12, but I did leave several dozen in $500 Visas and AmX gift cards. They were very well stocked at the time.
I'll never get these companies. Cash only Monday, but good for CC today?

Don't worry, I have no problem with you getting 12, can't say I'd do any differently in the situation.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:05 pm

Office Depot will soon be accepting cash only for gift card purchases

Sucks that I wont be able to participate in this frenzy as I am traveling this weekend using all the free points that I got from VR at OD
Old Jul 4, 2013, 2:18 am

disconcerting...

Found some in TX. Manager rang me up. I commented that I hadn't seen these in od in a while. His reply: "yeah, chase made us pull all of them before because of people abusing 5x points. We worked it out so these cards no longer get points, so I don't think many people will be buying them." I played dumb, but he had that "I know why you're buying these and you're going to be disappointed" vibe going. Wouldn't surprise me; as chase can site the t&c about cash equivalents.

He was pretty well informed about manu spend. I told him I didn't know what he meant, as I use them to pay my taxes because they're debit.

My billing cycle just ended 2 days ago. So anyone who bought these with an upcoming cycle end, please post what points you got, if any...

Last edited by uncommonsensical; Jul 4, 2013 at 2:20 am Reason: bad typo
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
Found some in TX. Manager rang me up. I commented that I hadn't seen these in od in a while. His reply: "yeah, chase made us pull all of them before because of people abusing 5x points. We worked it out so these cards no longer get points, so I don't think many people will be buying them." I played dumb, but he had that "I know why you're buying these and you're going to be disappointed" vibe going. Wouldn't surprise me; as chase can site the t&c about cash equivalents.

He was pretty well informed about manu spend. I told him I didn't know what he meant, as I use them to pay my taxes because they're debit.

My billing cycle just ended 2 days ago. So anyone who bought these with an upcoming cycle end, please post what points you got, if any...
I wonder if they changed a bar code or something so that it rings up differently and shows up as a variable card on the Chase side. That said, I think it's stupid that a credit card company can influence a retailer like that, if he's telling the truth. I'm not sure what leverage Chase could use.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.