Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aeneas3
Wiki to track data points for Variable load GC at various locations:

raghu455: Variable loads not ringing up at register on 7/9 at 3 south bay area locations.

topenga47: Sarasota FL OD is cash only at register on 7/10

townhurst: OD at Firestone in Norwalk, CA cash only and CC denied at register

fangtl: Register showing cash only message prompt at Sterling, VA OD.

Emma dog: atlanta OD (Cheshire bridge&piedmont) has a register lockout forcing cash only.

Mooper: Cash only @ OD in MT for variable, but $100/$200 Visa GCs ok w/ CC through Aug. UPDATE: Died in early Sept... cash only for all now.

aeneas3: cash only @OD in Buffalo, NY - popup at the register - 9/20
Print Wikipost

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Old Jul 4, 2013, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PdxDfwFlyer
The difference is that Chase doesn't own/manage Office Depot, so Chase doesn't know the detailed breakdown of a purchase at OD.

If OD would code a transaction involving the purchase of a GC differently from other transactions, this would imply that people buying additional non-GC items in that same transaction would miss out on the 5x on the non-GC items. And that wouldn't be fair.
I was trying to say why cant say the GC transaction be coded so it doesnt earn 5x but everything else does? If you purchased taxable and non-taxable items anywhere since you have taxable items do all the items get taxed? No they dont just those with a tx after them .

Also when theres a promo coupon and certain items are excluded eg you must purchase $200 in stuff to save say 20% but Ink,GC and Computers are excluded. So you purchased $205 worth of school supplies and your total bill was say $315 since you got $110 in Ink, youd still get 20% off but only from the $205 and not the $315. so why couldnt a company code it that GCs dont get 5X. Now if Chase has it set up only to look at the total amount Id agree with you or if Chase has no way to brake it down to what does get 5 or 2x and what doesnt, I agree with you.

Personally I have no idea if it could be done but with SPG even thou I dont earn any SPG pts when I charge my parking to my room off my total bill. I do earn an extra pt when I pay with my SPG Amex since Amex only sees the total amount charged it seems and its not broken down.

So if its OD only who wants to prevent the 5x it probably will continue, if its Chase then if they get OD to code the GCs differently so Chases computers can separate them and thusly give only 1 pt or no pts, kiss another outlet goodbye
Old Jul 4, 2013, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by craz
I was trying to say why cant say the GC transaction be coded so it doesnt earn 5x but everything else does? If you purchased taxable and non-taxable items anywhere since you have taxable items do all the items get taxed? No they dont just those with a tx after them .

Also when theres a promo coupon and certain items are excluded eg you must purchase $200 in stuff to save say 20% but Ink,GC and Computers are excluded. So you purchased $205 worth of school supplies and your total bill was say $315 since you got $110 in Ink, youd still get 20% off but only from the $205 and not the $315. so why couldnt a company code it that GCs dont get 5X. Now if Chase has it set up only to look at the total amount Id agree with you or if Chase has no way to brake it down to what does get 5 or 2x and what doesnt, I agree with you.

Personally I have no idea if it could be done but with SPG even thou I dont earn any SPG pts when I charge my parking to my room off my total bill. I do earn an extra pt when I pay with my SPG Amex since Amex only sees the total amount charged it seems and its not broken down.

So if its OD only who wants to prevent the 5x it probably will continue, if its Chase then if they get OD to code the GCs differently so Chases computers can separate them and thusly give only 1 pt or no pts, kiss another outlet goodbye
First paragraph: it's not the same situation though. You are compairing @the items bought @ a store vs transmitting what's been purchased by a CC. Different laws apply here (I don't know the laws though).

Second paragraph: T&C => "You will earn an additional 4 points for each $1 of net purchases made in any of the following categories: internet, cable, and phone services (excluding equipment purchases); office supply stores....However, even though a merchant or the items that it sells may appear to fit within a listed category, the merchant may not have a merchant code that falls within that category. Therefore, purchases with that merchant will not qualify for the stated rewards offer on category purchases." => Let's see if the Chase changes the T&C and points are earned on the item purchased. What would be the population who mind & who don't mind.

https://www.chase.com/online/busines....htm?CELL=63WS

Third paragraph: T&C => "6 You will receive two Starpoints from American Express and two Starpoints (or three Starpoints if you have Starwood Preferred Guest elite status) from the Starwood Preferred Guest Program for each $1 of eligible purchases charged on your Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express when charged directly with participating Starwood properties, stand-alone Starwood retail establishments, and Starwood online stores that, in each case, are wholly owned by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. and its affiliates. Starwood associates do not receive any additional Starpoints as a Starwood Preferred Guest member for hotel stays and purchases. American Express reserves the right not to award any Starpoints for transactions we determine are not made with the good faith intention of consuming the item charged. Merchants are assigned codes based on what they primarily sell. A purchase will not earn additional points if the merchant's code is not eligible. Purchases made through a third-party payment account or on an online marketplace (with multiple retailers) will not earn additional points. A purchase may not earn additional points if the merchant submits the purchase using a mobile or wireless card reader or if you use a mobile or digital wallet." => I assume this is why you get points from AMEX and not from SPG. This is like not getting 5% cashback with Staples Rewards on GC purchases, but getting points from the Chase Ink.

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...est/index.html

Last edited by vagrants; Jul 4, 2013 at 5:58 pm
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by PdxDfwFlyer:21041002
I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people on this forum want to plant doubt into the minds of others, so they can clean up the whole stash at their local OD before Monday.
Take off the tin foil hat. Would take quite an effort to deter all the blogs few SD etc etc- don'tcha think...

My account is 100% accurate. I hope he's wrong. I'd like the 20k ur points. That said, he was very well informed and... It's logical. We all know chase pressured the removal of vr and then variables at od. Stands to reason that their reappearance must come with a change to prevent 5x. It's 2013, a printer can print a gun... chase can code cash equivalent sku's to pay 1x...
Old Jul 4, 2013, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
Take off the tin foil hat. Would take quite an effort to deter all the blogs few SD etc etc- don'tcha think...

My account is 100% accurate. I hope he's wrong. I'd like the 20k ur points. That said, he was very well informed and... It's logical. We all know chase pressured the removal of vr and then variables at od. Stands to reason that their reappearance must come with a change to prevent 5x. It's 2013, a printer can print a gun... chase can code cash equivalent sku's to pay 1x...
Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone. It is funny though that you think *everyone* believes that chase pressured the removal of variable GC at OD. This is a theory (one that I don't believe, as you may be able to tell ), amongst others. Certainly not a belief held by everyone.

I agree that a lot is possible with technology, but chase specifically coding GC in OD at 1x is unlikely to happen, if you understand how a credit card transaction coding works between credit card issuer and an 'Independent' merchant. Chase would have to deny 5x points for any non-GC items that were purchased in the same transaction for that to happen. Now if chase owned/managed OD and had a detailed breakdown of items in a transaction, or if Chase was the issuing bank for the variable GC, then that would be a whole different story.

I am certain you will get you 20k UR points, and I will get the UR points for my GC purchases. Good luck to us both!
Old Jul 4, 2013, 8:17 pm

I went to two Office Depot store near my home in Venice, Fl today......neither one had the sought after $500 gift cards.....oh well. But I did purchase a $50 Shell gift card with Ink at 5 times and then filled up my tank. I also purchased $250 in Bed Bath and Beyond cards for an Ultimate Rewards Bed Bath and Beyond on line order which I need to pick up and pay for as it was shipped to the store. Had a 20% off coupon as well. So, with Ink I earned 5 times on that as well. I sure hope the $500 cards make it our way and they code correctly and can be added to Bluebird or GoBank at Walmart without issue.. We will see.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by rdover1
For those wo have already dived in - do you see any special notation on your account activity? Does it just look like a large OD purchase?
I purchased 1 shell gift card and 5 $50 Bed Bath and Beyond gift cards at Office Depot today with Ink card. The Shell card noted on the receipt it was a gift card and had a tracking number. The Bed Bath and Beyond cards did not note "gift card" but did have a tracking number. I too wonder if they will get the 5 times points? Will see next month I guess when my statement comes.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by BigDawgFT
I bought 12 because a manager at another OD told me this morning that these were going to be cash only on Monday. That's what I meant by I hope it lasts after Monday; that is, purchase by CC. Being told they will be cash only on Monday, yes, I bought 12, but I did leave several dozen in $500 Visas and AmX gift cards. They were very well stocked at the time.
not a one in FL (that is $500 gift cards). I would not be surprised at all if Office Depot went to an all cash situation for gift cards....it would make sense for them for sure and many other stores do this now. too bad for us though.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Much cheaper to have an AR account at Lowes,
Charge BP Bed and Bath, even Amazon they have many gift cards for purchase
Buy a $500.00 HIK card at OD no fee and pay the AR at Lowe's off

I have been buying $500 HI cards, and no problem, no fee 5X with Ink.

Lowe's sells far more than Gift Cards, and the AR card gives you 5% off all purchases, except GC.

OD $500 cash for a GC, never fly.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by satman40
Except for the real bad guys I reckon
Old Jul 5, 2013, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by satman40
Much cheaper to have an AR account at Lowes,
Charge BP Bed and Bath, even Amazon they have many gift cards for purchase
Buy a $500.00 HIK card at OD no fee and pay the AR at Lowe's off

I have been buying $500 HI cards, and no problem, no fee 5X with Ink.

Lowe's sells far more than Gift Cards, and the AR card gives you 5% off all purchases, except GC.

Do ODs commonly have the $500 HI cards? Don't have one nearby but would be willing to make a stop on the next trip if they do. I only see either HD or lowes at the OM/Staples
Old Jul 5, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
Originally Posted by Voyaging
Do ODs commonly have the $500 HI cards? Don't have one nearby but would be willing to make a stop on the next trip if they do. I only see either HD or lowes at the OM/Staples
Everyone I go to has them
Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:03 am

Went to two OD today to try to find a $500 card and to take advantage of the free stamps. Neither had the $500 and their computer systems were not functioning so they couldn't even do a $200 GC. That's one way to stop us lol
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by newbynewbynew
Went to two OD today to try to find a $500 card and to take advantage of the free stamps. Neither had the $500 and their computer systems were not functioning so they couldn't even do a $200 GC. That's one way to stop us lol
Same here. Not even working on Amazon gc.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
Originally Posted by guoguo914
Same here. Not even working on Amazon gc.
I spoke with the manager at another local store, they can't take credit card purchases on anything. There whole system is down. Side note, still no 500$ GCs, altho this store had an empty rack for 500$ AMEX, which I was told were removed months ago.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: United MP, American AAdvantage, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Originally Posted by vinyalwhl
I spoke with the manager at another local store, they can't take credit card purchases on anything. There whole system is down. Side note, still no 500$ GCs, altho this store had an empty rack for 500$ AMEX, which I was told were removed months ago.
Found one OD in my area that has them, but they can't load more than $150 because system was down. Ironically, i was able to buy 1 $50 shell gas card without a problem. I wonder are they denying (excuse) the VGCs?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.