Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tip for Buying reloadit with CC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
Originally Posted by KYBOSH
The VISA-Merchant Agreement is just that.. an agreement between the merchant and Visa.
Visa may choose to enforce (or not enforce) the agreement in part or in whole whenever they see fit.

If drugstore/grocery stores have come to an understanding with VISA/MC/AMEX regarding the acceptance of CCs for "certain" products there is NOTHING you can do force VISA/MC/AMEX to enforce their own contract.

If you dont believe it stroll into Walmart with your copy of the merchant agreement and see how far you get trying to buy a MP.

Not doubting your 4/4 success story but I think you are testing your theory at stores that can take CC for reloads at their discretion (store policy). Test your theory with the big boys if you think it can hold up in the wild.
^ or if cvs is closer, show them the agreement and demand to buy mp using cc
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Ya'll can do that and let me know how that works out for you.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:49 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by frogdog51
Saying "cash only" on the card isn't valid since the cards are not hard coded as cash only.
So since technically a register can sell a bottle of alcohol to anyone and isn't "hard coded" to only sell to a person over 21 does this mean that minors can buy alcohol too?!?! AWESOME!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
"Demanding" that anyone sell you anything on the terms you want is, to put it bluntly, stupid and arrogant.

You don't have a constitutional right to churn Reloadit cards or anything else. You may have gotten lucky and encountered a few easily bullied cashiers, but I'm quite sure your streak of such encounters will be short. Sooner or later someone is going to tell you to pound sand, and they will have every right to do so.

By "demanding" they sell you a reload card on your terms, you're actually going to hurt your chances of buying these over the long term. When you make a big stink over such things, you will inevitably bring greater scrutiny - and tighter enforcement - down on what you're trying to do. Hard-coding the POS system to require cash is not difficult and will be the inevitable result. When that happens, no matter how much you try to bully the cashier, you're not buying it with a credit card (regardless of how much you throw a tantrum and wave credit card agreements).

Three rules for this game:

1. If you are refused a credit card purchase, shrug and politely move on.
2. Never make a stink, don't give the poor cashier (or their poor manager) a hard time, and above all don't "escalate" by calling up the corporate chain. Do not draw attention to the game.
3. Don't be an A-hole about it.

Pretty basic, common sense stuff.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, but I play by my rules, not yours. This "game" will end, like previous "games" have ended before, so I'll do it the way I want to do it.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:36 pm

No Third Party Beneficiary

I've never read the agreements at issue, but I'd be willing to bet that they contain a statement that no third party (i.e., nobody but the processor and the merchant) has any rights under the agreement. You can't force the merchant to do squat.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: ALL :)
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
"Demanding" that anyone sell you anything on the terms you want is, to put it bluntly, stupid and arrogant.

You don't have a constitutional right to churn Reloadit cards or anything else. You may have gotten lucky and encountered a few easily bullied cashiers, but I'm quite sure your streak of such encounters will be short. Sooner or later someone is going to tell you to pound sand, and they will have every right to do so.

By "demanding" they sell you a reload card on your terms, you're actually going to hurt your chances of buying these over the long term. When you make a big stink over such things, you will inevitably bring greater scrutiny - and tighter enforcement - down on what you're trying to do. Hard-coding the POS system to require cash is not difficult and will be the inevitable result. When that happens, no matter how much you try to bully the cashier, you're not buying it with a credit card (regardless of how much you throw a tantrum and wave credit card agreements).

2. Never make a stink, don't give the poor cashier (or their poor manager) a hard time, and above all don't "escalate" by calling up the corporate chain. Do not draw attention to the game.

Seconded^
Old Jun 5, 2013, 5:12 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Just a quick reminder to everyone - let's keep the discussion courteous. Using obscenities or masked obcenities (asteriks in place of letters) is not allowed on Flyertalk.

Thanks,

MileageAddict
Old Jun 5, 2013, 1:14 pm

You are right.
Your theory indeed proves the world is flat.
Please dont venture outside of your area or bad things will happen.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 3:56 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by nwflyboy

4. If you find so called "loophole" keep it to yourself and reap all of the benefits and glory you can!
Old Jun 5, 2013, 4:29 pm

frogdog51 - I would like to thank you for sharing your findings regardless of whether it will work at Walmart or CVS. I welcome anything that increases my chance of buying Reloadit/GD cards by using a CC.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:35 pm

I was able to purchase a reload it $500 today with a cc! I purchased it at a Casey's.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:35 am

Programs: BA, UA, US, AA
Originally Posted by Corridor!
I was able to purchase a reload it $500 today with a cc! I purchased it at a Casey's.
Was it a seamless purchase or did you have to accuse them of violating something?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by jools1006
Was it a seamless purchase or did you have to accuse them of violating something?
It was a seamless purchase. She even asked another employee if they could be purchased with a cc. I now have two cashiers that will sell them to me.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: ALL :)
Originally Posted by Corridor!
It was a seamless purchase. She even asked another employee if they could be purchased with a cc. I now have two cashiers that will sell them to me.
Congrats on doing it without having to threaten and intimidate.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.