Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Does Amex consider gift cards "cash equivalents"?

Does Amex consider gift cards "cash equivalents"?

Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Corridor!
Both of my Starwood statements closed on 5/28. The last time I made a purchase of VR at CVS was 5/13. Those posted correctly. Time will tell on this statement.
I wouldn't be surprised that AMEX wants to cut 5% *cash* rewards sooner than points.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:03 pm

unusual alert from amex

don't know much detail at this point ('till tomorrow), but my relative has various "alerts" set up with his PRG. After buying a GC at our regular place, he's gotten some sort of alert about his card being used for "foreign currency" purchase or something to that extent, he did check his amex accounts for any unauthorized purchases but all is good, so I suspect it's got something to do with GC purchase, hope I'm wrong, but I will stop by his place tomorrow to check out that alert myself, I'll report back, P.S. it was a grocery purchase

Last edited by tommy14; Jun 11, 2013 at 10:09 pm Reason: more info
Old Jun 12, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: Several dozen
I'm hearing some similiar concerns (in the nonpublic boards) regarding repeated use of an AMEX for gift card purchases at a grocery store linked to a subsequent FR. Watch out as this kind of activity may now be on AMEX's "kill list." In the days of the mint, use of AMEX cards to buy AMEX gift cards for coins purchases made the "kill list." AMEX seems to have a higher level of awareness of your activity than other card issuers, perhaps a function of their historic ability to provide detailed receipts.

Originally Posted by tommy14
don't know much detail at this point ('till tomorrow), but my relative has various "alerts" set up with his PRG. After buying a GC at our regular place, he's gotten some sort of alert about his card being used for "foreign currency" purchase or something to that extent, he did check his amex accounts for any unauthorized purchases but all is good, so I suspect it's got something to do with GC purchase, hope I'm wrong, but I will stop by his place tomorrow to check out that alert myself, I'll report back, P.S. it was a grocery purchase
Old Jun 12, 2013, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
I'm hearing some similiar concerns (in the nonpublic boards) regarding repeated use of an AMEX for gift card purchases at a grocery store linked to a subsequent FR. Watch out as this kind of activity may now be on AMEX's "kill list." In the days of the mint, use of AMEX cards to buy AMEX gift cards for coins purchases made the "kill list." AMEX seems to have a higher level of awareness of your activity than other card issuers, perhaps a function of their historic ability to provide detailed receipts.
Are you equating "kill list" with FR or something more serious? FR's are a pain but they're relatively minor as far as A/A goes.

On another note, I just noticed that a regular GC purchased at an office supply store posted with the 'pre-paid credit' detail message on my Amex.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by gloreglabert
I just noticed that a regular GC purchased at an office supply store posted with the 'pre-paid credit' detail message on my Amex.
they know !
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
they know !
Good thing I already passed my second FR last week.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:21 pm

Are you equating "kill list" with FR or something more serious? FR's are a pain but they're relatively minor as far as A/A goes.

On another note, I just noticed that a regular GC purchased at an office supply store posted with the 'pre-paid credit' detail message on my Amex.
where did this "pre-paid credit" message show?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:24 pm

where did this "pre-paid credit" massage show?
Go look at your transactions, then click the + to expand the detail on a specific transaction. At the bottom of the detail it says "pre-paid credit".
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:29 pm

Go look at your transactions, then click the + to expand the detail on a specific transaction. At the bottom of the detail it says "pre-paid credit".
I will get a GC tomorrow to see what comes up, are you saying "pre-paid" comes up as category?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:33 pm

I will get a GC tomorrow to see what comes up, are you saying "pre-paid" comes up as category?
No, the category is normal. It's just a bit of extra text that shows up in the transaction detail message.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:37 pm

No, the category is normal. It's just a bit of extra text that shows up in the transaction detail message.
Have you seen that before? I'm just wondering if that's new development...
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:38 pm

Have you seen that before? I'm just wondering if that's new development...
First time.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:45 pm

First time.
Not a good newsflash after all
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:12 am

I've got $5,500 of GC purchases at WG,CVS, and 2 different Supermarkets since the beginning of the month (and my most recent statement). All of them are simply listing the category (e.g. MERCHANDISE & SUPPLIES - PHARMACIES). The ones that have additional text simply reiterate the category (e.g. Pharmacies).

So, based on my experience so far it was only the VRs purchased (at CVS) that didn't post to my rewards tracker. And those are also listed properly as MERCHANDISE & SUPPLIES - PHARMACIES - with no additional test.

What I'm interested in is for everyone who doesn't have a cash equivalent that has made it into their proper rewards category - how is that transaction listed? In my case, there is nothing in the transaction detail that would indicate it was different than any other transaction.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:19 am

Maybe AMEX is just looking for CVS purchases of a certain dollar amount.

Why do card issuers care whether you buy gift cards or whatever? Are they not making money on each purchase regardless?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.