Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

No more Kroger Fuel Points for Visa, MC, AMEX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more Kroger Fuel Points for Visa, MC, AMEX?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
We dont have Safeway here in Austin, but we have Randalls (part of the Safeway family). I have never received gas points for Variable load cards, only when I purchase other types of gift cards - Apple, Best Buy, Amazon etc.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by texasguy77
We dont have Safeway here in Austin, but we have Randalls (part of the Safeway family). I have never received gas points for Variable load cards, only when I purchase other types of gift cards - Apple, Best Buy, Amazon etc.
Didn't I run into you the other week, frantically searching for Vanilla beans at a S. Lamar CVS?
Old May 1, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
1x fuel points at Kroger in Dallas. They had 4x promo up around the gc end cap. 1x is better than 0x!
Old May 1, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Artemk
Works for me. The only problem I have - I only need 4 tanks of gas per month You also should count 1x-3x-5x points from the credit card when you buy the GC and when you fill up...
Originally Posted by tev9999
It is lucrative if you have the right purchase card. The Amex Blue Cash pays 6% at grocery stores, so a $500 Visa/MC/Amex gives $24 in profit ($30 CB - $6 load). Add in $17.50 in gas and you are at 8.3%. I often fill extra five gallon cans to make sure I use my full 35 gallon allowance.

I was doing some remodeling back in December, so I bought $2500 in Home Depot and Lowes cards under a 4X promotion. I ended up giving away some gas points since I couldn't use them all. I was getting up to 20% on stuff I was going to buy anyway, with a little added hassle on the gas pump side.

If the $100 fixed Visa/MC/Amex cards still give 4X it is even better. The load fee is a wash with the cash back, but you get 400 points, or $14 in gas, on a $100 spend - so 14%. This worked in December, but have not tried since.

Rewards cards are never a good idea if you are carrying a balance.
It works for me too. Bought $1000 BestBuy gift cards when I was getting a new TV. However my point was a response to the statement by another poster that people other than "travel hackers" would do this. So I was just illustrating that there is a reason why not everyone does (or even cares for that matter) this.

Personally, I'm with you guys and load up as much as I can when the 4X points are being offered. Especially as my Fry's has a gas station and prices competitively so I don't have to use Shell.
Old May 1, 2013, 1:30 pm

Has anyone been able to buy these cards and get Fuel Points at QFC?

They are a part of the Kroger family and are located in the Seattle area.
Old May 1, 2013, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by texasguy77
Same at the Safeways in the DC area
Old May 1, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: CO, AA, UA
Data Point:

I bought another $1,000 worth of Visa GC's today at Kroger and DID recieve 1,000 fuel points. I did not see any 4x promotion advertised...so this is still going...at least here in Houston area
Old May 1, 2013, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Any Atlanta folks have luck with this in the past day or two?
Old May 1, 2013, 5:49 pm

Yes, I live in the Atlanta (College Park) area and loaded up with $5K worth of US Bank Mastercard gift cards (10 $500) at the local Kroger. Received 5K fuel points, and was able to transfer the money to Bluebird.
Old May 1, 2013, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travisair
Yes, I live in the Atlanta (College Park) area and loaded up with $5K worth of US Bank Mastercard gift cards (10 $500) at the local Kroger. Received 5K fuel points, and was able to transfer the money to Bluebird.
When did you buy the cards?
Old May 1, 2013, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by fetchercity
Has anyone been able to buy these cards and get Fuel Points at QFC?

They are a part of the Kroger family and are located in the Seattle area.
I've done a couple of transactions at QFC and received fuel points both times.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: UA, HH
No problems today at Kroger - 2 cards bought, 1,000 points received. I don't see why people are complaining about not getting 4x points, I would rather see them bright back $2 per gallon discount. I can't use all fuel points by myself even with 1x
Old May 2, 2013, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pointsloop
When did you buy the cards?
Last Friday, so it might have changed since then.
Old May 3, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Wondering how much time we got with this deal - picked up couple VISA GCs today - they had stickers on GS racks saying NO FUEL POINTS with variable load cards... Still got 1,000 points, though.
Old May 5, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Picked up a $500 variable load amex 5/4 and received 500 points - Detroit area. There is a 4x promo on clothing cards right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.