Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:17 pm
jk2
Original Poster

I want to share the exciting news in some form. Now you can setup a PIN for some Visa/MC giftcards.

I had 2 $500 Visa GCs that looked like that so I called and set up the PIN (actually, you can do it online as well:

https://mygift.giftcardmall.com/Card/SetPin)

Today I went to WM to test if it would work for debit transactions like MO. I decided to buy $1K MO and ask cashier to split transaction with first payment of $500. I swiped my Visa GC, enterd PIN and viola - "approved".

I did not test Mastercard GC (the one from mygiftcardsite.com), but I think it would work as well.

I understand that this is not as "hot" as VR, but this is a nice money maker - you can buy Visa GC at many grocery stores with Blue Cash Preferred AMEX and get 6% off - that offsets nicely purchase fee.

Those Visa GC (the ones that can be registered on mygift.mygiftcardmall) can be purchased at many grocery stores, officemax, staples.

Enjoy!

Last edited by jk2; Apr 6, 2013 at 4:35 am
Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:21 pm

Exciting and game changing. Congrats on finding it. Going to be a long thread
Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I wonder if there was a law that said these had to happen ... I got a $50 prepaid card from US Bank for their START program and the T&C explicitly stated that PINs would be available on April 1. I got the card in March ...

If only OD still sold $500 GCs ....
Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
This is where it's at for me! $5.95 purchase fee is easily offset by using BCP. Now to see if I can fund BB with PIN-enabled GC at WM register...
Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
bless you kind sir
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Is this a belated April Fool's joke?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:12 pm

http://thehill.com/blogs/regwatch/fi...ts-from-stores

Originally Posted by amolkold
I wonder if there was a law that said these had to happen ... I got a $50 prepaid card from US Bank for their START program and the T&C explicitly stated that PINs would be available on April 1. I got the card in March ...

If only OD still sold $500 GCs ....
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:13 pm

Awesome. Need to test it tomorrow.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Just happened to have two $50 Visa gift cards in the house from a Dominicks promotion and was able to set a PIN for them both.

Note that you won't be able to use them at ATMs. Wonder whether cash back will work?

Curious that the legislation only applies to Visa and MC gift cards.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:35 pm

Looking forward to future tax-paying...
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by fwoomp
Looking forward to future tax-paying...
I think the tax payment sites always treated these cards as debit. The benefit here -- money orders, supermarket cashback and BB reloads at Walmart (assuming it works). Good deal if you get a supermarket or drugstore bonus. Office Supply stores are $200 max GCs, as far as I know.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: SPG,United,Delta,AA,Marriott Silver
PIN available now for selected Visa/MC giftcards

I had this for a while but didn't think I could use this to BB
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:50 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
Wow this is great news. I will try it tomorrow.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:41 am

Looks like you can add a PIN for ordinary Vanilla GCs. Wondering if anyone has tried the PIN feature w. BB/Walmart or money orders, thanks
https://www.vanillavisa.com/home.htm...ard&csrfToken=
Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:09 am

Since no one mentioned the obvious..... Vanilla Reload game is BACK ON go to Walgreens where they accept Cash or DEBIT only....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.