Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Sign in using an external account

    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 24, 14, 1:00 am   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards.
Please read: this is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.
 
Last edit by: flyertalk77

A recent Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Note that there has been no reported success of using PIN enabled GCs at the post office for MOs. (Last confirmed January 2013)
Walmart has a high success rate and other have reported success at their local supermarket.

Visas have been reported to work significantly better than MC at WM registers. MC GC's require pressing a button (quickly) to change the payment type to debit. Without hitting the change payment type button, the cards are recognized as credit and denied.

Detailed steps by slickpokerdealer to use MC GCs at WM registers
Originally documented here

  1. Give your blue bird and ask cashier to load $200 (or whatever the MC value is)
  2. Once the cashier enters the amount, the system (CC Swipe Machine or Pin Pad Machine) will ask for your confirmation on the amount. Confirm that.
  3. Now swipe your Master Card
  4. Before the cashier makes the move, you have to press the "cancel" button on the display screen. That's the trick. You will have just a second or two to react. So, be ready to press "cancel" as soon as you swipe your mastercard gift card. If you have new swipe machine, it might show you "change payment" along with "cancel" option. In this case, try "change payment".
  5. Now it will show you the option to choose "ATM/Debit" and the system will run it as a debit and will immediately prompt you to enter the pin.
  6. Key in the PIN you would have set for your MC (I always call and set the pin number in advance) and press "Enter" or "Ok" on keypad
  7. Transaction will be approved


One particular MC GC has given several members issues and should be avoided. It is the Celebrate card isued by US Bank. While the PIN can be set, it is consistently denied by WM registers. It can be seen here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20970219-post1788.html (NOTE: This no longer seems to be the case, and a number of members have been having no issues with these.)

Setting PINS
  • Visa issued by US Bank - Must call in to set the PIN (866-952-5653). There have also been reports of newer cards with a pre-assigned PIN, which is printed on cardstock and included in the package. (PIN inserts found in packages with the following revision number, "GIFTVISAUSBrev0913").
  • Visa issued by MetaBank - Use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • Vanilla Visa and OneVanilla (not MyVanilla, etc) - Use any random four digits on the first transaction which sets the PIN
  • MC issued by US Bank - Must call to set PIN (PIN inserts found in packages with the following revision number, "GIFTMCUSBrev0913").


One other note: When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register for billpay, money orders, bluebird, etc., make sure you have the cashier hit the debit button on their keypad (with actual keys). If they hit debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. I am not sure why, but I have had this problem several times. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 28, 13, 9:20 pm   #1471
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipahoy82 View Post
Me too. I've only used One Vanillas for Amazon Payments to date, but was tempted to try a BB load if others here have had success.
If you have access to GC's issued by US Bank or MettaBank, get them. They are easy to assign PINs to.
cashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 13, 9:20 pm   #1472
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Programs: AA, UA, US
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashback View Post
Idk. Id love to know the answer. I tried to load one and got denied.
2 weeks ago, made up pin loaded fine at kiosk, did anything change?
oohaahouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 13, 9:21 pm   #1473
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by oohaahouch View Post
2 weeks ago, made up pin loaded fine at kiosk, did anything change?
Thats exactly what i did. The kiosk told me "card not accepted"

Im going tomorrow with 4 different GC's. MettaBank, OneVanilla, Vanilla Visa, and University National Bank. Out of those cards, only MettaBank cards have worked for me for debit purchases.
cashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 13, 9:33 pm   #1474
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 843
Doesnt this go against the intent of the law which gave us the ability to use a PiN with GCs in the first place? What good is a GC with a PiN if the merchant wont allow the customer to use it?
KYBOSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 13, 9:33 pm   #1475
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New York, NY
Programs: Delta GM, SPG Gold
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashback View Post
If you have access to GC's issued by US Bank or MettaBank, get them. They are easy to assign PINs to.
I've only tried Metabank to date and its worked fine. I ask about One Vanillas as they are the only gift card my local drug stores sell and I currently have 5x Points at drug stores (yes I'm aware about the chance of Citi shutting me down).
chipahoy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 13, 9:38 pm   #1476
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBOSH View Post
Doesnt this go against the intent of the law which gave us the ability to use a PiN with GCs in the first place? What good is a GC with a PiN if the merchant wont allow the customer to use it?
You should have heard the convo I had with the University National Bank people. Their own automated system will assign a PIN to the card, but I couldnt get it to work. I called them and they told me you cant use the PIN for purchases. I asked, why the hell are you assigning PINs if you cant even use them? They couldnt give me an answer. They escalated the problem and told me they would call me back. Never did.
cashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 13, 3:19 am   #1477
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 275
Rite Aid stores in my area don't sell money orders. Supermarkets are cash only. Have not tried 7-11 yet.
st.exupery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 13, 5:06 am   #1478
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ORD
Programs: AA-EXP, UA-1k, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton-Diamond, SPG-gold
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashback View Post
You dont have a OneVanilla GC then. You cant set a PIN for them at home. At least last I checked thats how it was.

EDIT: Just checked again. You cant set a PIN online for OneVanilla GC's
Sorry, I stand corrected. It was Vanilla Visa.
smitty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 13, 9:22 am   #1479
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty06 View Post
Sorry, I stand corrected. It was Vanilla Visa.
Yeah the Vanilla Visa you cannot set a pin for either. By default, you just use any 4 numbers for the PIN. You have the option on the vanillavisa.com site or on the phone to *clear* the pin - but not to set it.

I had purchased 2 x $500 last week. On one I *cleared* the PIN on the phone and the other I just left as-is. I used both to load my BB the next day using the same "made-up" PIN number and both worked fine.
BenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 13, 10:12 am   #1480
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New York, NY
Programs: Delta GM, SPG Gold
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenH View Post
Yeah the Vanilla Visa you cannot set a pin for either. By default, you just use any 4 numbers for the PIN. You have the option on the vanillavisa.com site or on the phone to *clear* the pin - but not to set it.

I had purchased 2 x $500 last week. On one I *cleared* the PIN on the phone and the other I just left as-is. I used both to load my BB the next day using the same "made-up" PIN number and both worked fine.
I have too much Vanilla on the brain. I confused One Vanilla for Vanilla Visa. You would think they would get tired of all the Vanilla names..no love for chocolate! This is the card my drug store sells:



Just to clarify any confusion, based on your comments above with this card listed above I can go to the Walmart ATM kiosk and load to BB using any random 4 digit code.
chipahoy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 13, 10:59 am   #1481
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipahoy82 View Post
I have too much Vanilla on the brain. I confused One Vanilla for Vanilla Visa. You would think they would get tired of all the Vanilla names..no love for chocolate! This is the card my drug store sells:



Just to clarify any confusion, based on your comments above with this card listed above I can go to the Walmart ATM kiosk and load to BB using any random 4 digit code.
Yes - Vanilla Visa are the standard GC and function like any other Visa GC with the exception that the PIN is set on first use.

Here are the different Vanilla Cards available:

https://www.onevanilla.com/onevanilla/about.html

There is seemingly no difference between the Vanilla Visa and OneVanilla in terms of functionality (according to them). I believe the difference is that the OneVanilla cards are meant to be upgraded to MyVanilla cards:

https://www.onevanilla.com/onevanilla/

So these cards shouldn't really be considered standard gift-cards, but rather "temporary reloadable debit cards."

Of course there is also the standard reloadable beans packs:
https://www.vanillareload.com/

None of these should be confused with each other - even though they are all owned by InComm.

I would stay away from the OneVanilla cards, for reasons I mention above. I suspect were you to upgrade them to MyVanilla, you could use the MyVanilla to purchase - but that opens up other hassles that are not worth meeting.

Personally, I have never found a place that sells OneVanillas and *not* Vanilla Visas....so just stay away from the former.
BenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 13, 11:03 am   #1482
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New York, NY
Programs: Delta GM, SPG Gold
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenH View Post
Yes - Vanilla Visa are the standard GC and function like any other Visa GC with the exception that the PIN is set on first use.

Here are the different Vanilla Cards available:

https://www.onevanilla.com/onevanilla/about.html

There is seemingly no difference between the Vanilla Visa and OneVanilla in terms of functionality (according to them). I believe the difference is that the OneVanilla cards are meant to be upgraded to MyVanilla cards:

https://www.onevanilla.com/onevanilla/

So these cards shouldn't really be considered standard gift-cards, but rather "temporary reloadable debit cards."

Of course there is also the standard reloadable beans packs:
https://www.vanillareload.com/

None of these should be confused with each other - even though they are all owned by InComm.

I would stay away from the OneVanilla cards, for reasons I mention above. I suspect were you to upgrade them to MyVanilla, you could use the MyVanilla to purchase - but that opens up other hassles that are not worth meeting.

Personally, I have never found a place that sells OneVanillas and *not* Vanilla Visas....so just stay away from the former.

Thanks for taking the time to write this awesome post.
chipahoy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 13, 11:45 am   #1483
wcj
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 753
I had no idea about the differences in One Vanilla and Vanilla Visa. (I do know VR and MVD). Luckily, none of the swipers around here do either because I use them interchangeably-- for BB load, for MO, at WM or at other stores. I would not be afraid to try them. Apparently, in my case, ignorance is bliss!
wcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 13, 1:57 pm   #1484
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenH View Post
Yes - Vanilla Visa are the standard GC and function like any other Visa GC with the exception that the PIN is set on first use.

Here are the different Vanilla Cards available:

https://www.onevanilla.com/onevanilla/about.html

There is seemingly no difference between the Vanilla Visa and OneVanilla in terms of functionality (according to them). I believe the difference is that the OneVanilla cards are meant to be upgraded to MyVanilla cards:

https://www.onevanilla.com/onevanilla/

So these cards shouldn't really be considered standard gift-cards, but rather "temporary reloadable debit cards."

Of course there is also the standard reloadable beans packs:
https://www.vanillareload.com/

None of these should be confused with each other - even though they are all owned by InComm.

I would stay away from the OneVanilla cards, for reasons I mention above. I suspect were you to upgrade them to MyVanilla, you could use the MyVanilla to purchase - but that opens up other hassles that are not worth meeting.

Personally, I have never found a place that sells OneVanillas and *not* Vanilla Visas....so just stay away from the former.
I use OV GCs all the time for churning... They work great.
thorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 13, 2:03 pm   #1485
TalkBoard Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: BOS, MHT
Programs: AA ltg, DL, UA, US, AS, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott
Posts: 9,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenH View Post
Yes - Vanilla Visa are the standard GC and function like any other Visa GC with the exception that the PIN is set on first use.

Here are the different Vanilla Cards available:

https://www.onevanilla.com/onevanilla/about.html

There is seemingly no difference between the Vanilla Visa and OneVanilla in terms of functionality (according to them). I believe the difference is that the OneVanilla cards are meant to be upgraded to MyVanilla cards:

https://www.onevanilla.com/onevanilla/

So these cards shouldn't really be considered standard gift-cards, but rather "temporary reloadable debit cards."

Of course there is also the standard reloadable beans packs:
https://www.vanillareload.com/

None of these should be confused with each other - even though they are all owned by InComm.

I would stay away from the OneVanilla cards, for reasons I mention above. I suspect were you to upgrade them to MyVanilla, you could use the MyVanilla to purchase - but that opens up other hassles that are not worth meeting.

Personally, I have never found a place that sells OneVanillas and *not* Vanilla Visas....so just stay away from the former.
you forgot about:

Vanilla Ice

Milli Vanilli

Ben & Jerry's vanilla heath bar crunch

__________________
Do please read my thoughts, ideas, reports and babblings on http://mileageupdate.com/ --and thank you to everyone who voted for me for TalkBoard!
Marathon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:01 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.