Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Old May 28, 2013, 10:18 am

Anyone here tried to load Visa GCs bought from Kroger/Safeway to BB with success? I read on MMS that there is still no luck using the PIN GCs from Kroger yet.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by DziVang
Anyone here tried to load Visa GCs bought from Kroger/Safeway to BB with success? I read on MMS that there is still no luck using the PIN GCs from Kroger yet.
i just did it this weekend on two separate occasions.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by phantasmic
i just did it this weekend on two separate occasions.
Thank you. I'll give it a try later today. It's very suspicious to make all spending on CVS though.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:45 pm

Unhappy Walmart cracking down on 'those gift debit cards'?

Went to 2 local Walmarts over the weekend to buy MO using Vanilla GC and was demanded to 'review' the card first. Both refused to even process it, citing something like "we are not taking any those gift debit cards. Only regular debit cards with your name on it".

Has anyone encountered the same problem? I hope it's not ordered from the top management.

I'm maxed out on BB. Is there any way around? Other places, like Post Office and 7-11, have never worked before.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
Originally Posted by shel
Went to 2 local Walmarts over the weekend to buy MO using Vanilla GC and was demanded to 'review' the card first. Both refused to even process it, citing something like "we are not taking any those gift debit cards. Only regular debit cards with your name on it".

Has anyone encountered the same problem? I hope it's not ordered from the top management.

I'm maxed out on BB. Is there any way around? Other places, like Post Office and 7-11, have never worked before.
try a different time its like cvs going cash only for VR's for the morning cashier only
Old May 28, 2013, 3:58 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York

I found a walmart with a 'money center' that allows me to add money to my BB card, but I would try a different walmart or at a different time, I've gotten told I couldn't fund it as I had to use only cash, to people adding money 200 at a time. The hard part is actually finding the GCs now
Old May 28, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold

try just buying one money order for 499.30. Then you don't have to split payments or do anything that will tip the worker off that you are using gift cards.
Old May 28, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
Originally Posted by smitty06
try just buying one money order for 499.30. Then you don't have to split payments or do anything that will tip the worker off that you are using gift cards.
if you dont care about .70, get $200 MO + $300 MO and pay $2 cash ... has always worked so far ^
Old May 28, 2013, 6:17 pm

At my WM today the card reader wouldn't read the visa gc I had just purchased and had unlocked $1 per gallon gas savings on my next fill up. The cashier said to swipe it quickly, and I still couldn't get it to work. She stepped up around the counter and took my gc (I hadn't even bothered to remove the activation sticker or sign it), and swiped it herself. Didn't even bat an eye.
Old May 28, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: Delta GM, SPG Gold
Can someone please verify thy have loaded a "One Vanilla" visa gift card to bluebird at the Walmart ATM? If so did you enter and four digit PIN or last 4 digit of card?
Old May 28, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by chipahoy82
Can someone please verify thy have loaded a "One Vanilla" visa gift card to bluebird at the Walmart ATM? If so did you enter and four digit PIN or last 4 digit of card?
I just did it. I set a PIN from home. I didn't try the last 4 digits. I didn't want to waste time on my last trip if it didnt work.
Old May 28, 2013, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by smitty06
I just did it. I set a PIN from home. I didn't try the last 4 digits. I didn't want to waste time on my last trip if it didnt work.
You dont have a OneVanilla GC then. You cant set a PIN for them at home. At least last I checked thats how it was.

EDIT: Just checked again. You cant set a PIN online for OneVanilla GC's
Old May 28, 2013, 9:14 pm

Delete
Old May 28, 2013, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by cashback
You dont have a OneVanilla GC then. You cant set a PIN for them at home. At least last I checked thats how it was.

EDIT: Just checked again. You cant set a PIN online for OneVanilla GC's
That's what I thought as well as I couldn't set a pin at home last week. Are people loading them at Walmart to BB using a pin made up on the spot or last 4 digits?
Old May 28, 2013, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by chipahoy82
That's what I thought as well as I couldn't set a pin at home last week. Are people loading them at Walmart to BB using a pin made up on the spot or last 4 digits?
Idk. Id love to know the answer. I tried to load one and got denied.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.