Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2013, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
For those of you who want to use the Kiosks, may be you want to give a 10 min break between loads - take a walk around the store and consider it as your exercise, then come back to finish the remaining - try this, probably would work and no need to get an employee to re-set the machine.
Nope. Tried walking around two stores today. It seems, once the red light is on, it stays on until the associates turn it off.
Old May 26, 2013, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by bubble o bill
Nope. Tried walking around two stores today. It seems, once the red light is on, it stays on until the associates turn it off.
I think he means walking around before you trigger the store login. Example, load $1500, walk around, load $1500 more.
Old May 26, 2013, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by cashback
I think he means walking around before you trigger the store login. Example, load $1500, walk around, load $1500 more.
Yeah... well glad to know it wasn't just me. I think it is very strange that it tags it to just the machine and not a particular card.

I also wonder if it is a total amount, or the denominations.

I wonder if doing for instance $250 loads (2x from the same card) will still trigger...or if it is just $1500 total per machine.

I can't believe that it is just a total/machine because that would be inefficient for all users. So, it is either:

1) X amount of dollars within X time-frame. e.g. $1500 total within 10 minutes (in any combination).

2) X amount of denominations within X time-frame. e.g. More than 3 x $500 transactions within 10 minutes.

In either case, there has to be some sort of automatic reset period...especially in scenario #1.

It makes things a little more inconvenient - but as I said, the card loaded fine still at the register. If I have the time tomorrow, I'm going to try and load $1000 or $1500, then give it 15 minutes and try 2 more loads.
Old May 26, 2013, 9:33 pm

I think its #1
Old May 27, 2013, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by BenH
I wonder if doing for instance $250 loads (2x from the same card) will still trigger...or if it is just $1500 total per machine.
A fascinating question, especially if we get the 1K GCs back! If we did, would we then be able to load 3K from 3 cards without a flag? That's only theorizing at this point, but still: *drools* ^

Originally Posted by BenH

It makes things a little more inconvenient - but as I said, the card loaded fine still at the register. If I have the time tomorrow, I'm going to try and load $1000 or $1500, then give it 15 minutes and try 2 more loads.

If memory serves, people DID get flagged even when using 4 x $100/$200 cards. If that's the case, the issue would be the number of cards rather than the denomination. But I could be wrong of course.

BenH, I look forward to hearing the results of your experiment. *puts on favorite nerd glasses*
Old May 27, 2013, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by athenakt
A fascinating question, especially if we get the 1K GCs back! If we did, would we then be able to load 3K from 3 cards without a flag? That's only theorizing at this point, but still: *drools* ^

If memory serves, people DID get flagged even when using 4 x $100/$200 cards. If that's the case, the issue would be the number of cards rather than the denomination. But I could be wrong of course.

BenH, I look forward to hearing the results of your experiment. *puts on favorite nerd glasses*
I once loaded 5*$100 GCs one after another on the same BB at the Kiosk. It took a while of course but it worked.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:51 pm

Yes, I have loaded 10x$100 cards onto my BB on more than one occasion (albeit at a different WM than the one I just got locked out at).

So, I don't think it is the number of cards, just the total amount, or total # of higher denominations.

Didn't have a chance to test another round yet, maybe tonight or tomorrow.

Originally Posted by athenakt

Originally Posted by ucfzf10
I once loaded 5*$100 GCs one after another on the same BB at the Kiosk. It took a while of course but it worked.
Old May 27, 2013, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bubble o bill
Originally Posted by cashback
Yup. It has been reported at least a doz times now that the 4th load would lock up the machine. Take a break after your 3rd load - do a 10 min walking exercise then return to finish your next 3 loads. No guarantee but it seems worth to try for those of you prefer Kiosks. There are several combinations you can try out as a "scientific" experiment provided you document each scenario and its outcome - just to find out which combinations would NOT work. It is a deduction process.
Old May 27, 2013, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by ricohitman
Regular $200 visa gift card with $6.95 activation fee.

5x UR points on office supply stores=1035 UR Points

695/1035=.67 cpp.
Are these the same ones you can get at Walmart?
Old May 27, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Are these the same ones you can get at Walmart?
I can't buy visa gift cards at walmart with a credit card so I have no idea...
Old May 27, 2013, 3:21 pm

I can't buy visa gift cards at walmart with a credit card so I have no idea...
Actually, I don't know why i asked, I can't either. My fault.
Old May 27, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: American Airlaines, Delta SkyMiles, United, BA, HH, Marriott, SPG, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Happy
Yup. It has been reported at least a doz times now that the 4th load would lock up the machine. Take a break after your 3rd load - do a 10 min walking exercise then return to finish your next 3 loads. No guarantee but it seems worth to try for those of you prefer Kiosks. There are several combinations you can try out as a "scientific" experiment provided you document each scenario and its outcome - just to find out which combinations would NOT work. It is a deduction process.

True, and some machines lock up on the 3rd load. I usually load 2 $500 cards to my Bluebird, walk around for about 5-10 minutes and then load 2 $500 cards to my wifes.
Old May 27, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by Jeremyh11
True, and some machines lock up on the 3rd load. I usually load 2 $500 cards to my Bluebird, walk around for about 5-10 minutes and then load 2 $500 cards to my wifes.
This is a neat trick. Good data points for getting past the 4 card approval dilemma. As much as I hate walking around walmart, would be worth it to load 2 more cards.
Old May 27, 2013, 7:44 pm

This is a neat trick. Good data points for getting past the 4 card approval dilemma. As much as I hate walking around walmart, would be worth it to load 2 more cards.
or just go up to a cashier
Old May 28, 2013, 12:07 am

Yeah. Found the $1,500 limit day 1 this broke back in April, thought I was just doing something wrong. Half the cards didn't work back then either. Just finally went back to test it(have just been loading at register since), loaded $1,500(3x500) and then did the last $500 with MC employee. Also went to a WM where I went 1/4 on card loads at the money center register, guy was really argumentative before, most of the cards failed. Saw they had an express ATM this time, took a card no problem first try, so at least it's not store-coded to deny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.