Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Old May 20, 2013, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
find or make little stickers that have something on them like a US flag or BRING HOME THE TROOPS stickers.

Put those ON your GCs where it says gift card to cover up those words. Now use the GCs to get MOs. Most clerks will NOT mess with those stickers! And now they wont know what kind of debit vehicle you are using!

Works all the time.
Old May 20, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by genesys9
I experienced something similar here in my area yesterday, while the 1-2 WMT's were comfortable with GC's, one was like no we won't take card payment.
Not unusual. This whole process varies more than you would believe from store to store (be it drugstores, grocery stores, etc) and item to item (VR's, GC, etc). You may find that some stores vary by cashier, manager on duty, etc. Concentrate on the ones that work, try again at ones that don't.

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
find or make little stickers that have something on them like a US flag or BRING HOME THE TROOPS stickers.

Put those ON your GCs where it says gift card to cover up those words. Now use the GCs to get MOs. Most clerks will NOT mess with those stickers! And now they wont know what kind of debit vehicle you are using!

Works all the time.
It is these kind of ideas that keep me reading FT!
Old May 20, 2013, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by chipahoy82
Cool...I'm assuming though it still works when you set a PIN as well?
Correct
Old May 20, 2013, 11:11 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
I stand corrected from earlier... the Vcom ATMs do many things, including Moneygram and bill pay (at a high fee), but they do NOT issue money orders.

BUT this company has money orders and money transfers... money transfers apparently for $10 for $2,000, if you believe the press release. And they are more dense than the location of Wal Marts. http://www.fmiatm.com/products/machine-locator/
Old May 21, 2013, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by ctbarron
Not unusual. This whole process varies more than you would believe from store to store (be it drugstores, grocery stores, etc) and item to item (VR's, GC, etc). You may find that some stores vary by cashier, manager on duty, etc. Concentrate on the ones that work, try again at ones that don't.
Ditto this! I've found a CVS with a stack of VRs that I seem to be the only one drawing from. I've purchased from 5 different attendants and all but the last one had no issues. The last time, dude tells me he needs cash for them. I look puzzled and say I've never used cash before. "Here?" he asks. "Yeah." I say. "OK," he says, "I'll try, but I'll have to run them through separately." (None of the others ever had problems running two at a time.) He seemed genuinely surprised. (Maybe he got them confused with OneVanillas?) I got asked for ID only twice (this time included, though he seemed almost apologetic about it), most times not.

Now if I can just shake the urge to have to buy a protein bar, batteries, or jerky with every VR purchase - so it LOOKS like I came in for this $2.95 item and just added $1,007.90 on a whim!
Old May 21, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: Delta GM, SPG Gold
Anyone try using a Visa Gift Card yet with Google Wallet Send Money feature?
Old May 21, 2013, 8:58 am

Anyone try using a Visa Gift Card yet with Google Wallet Send Money feature?
Try it and let us know!

I imagine the card would have to be fully registered with full name and address etc (same way with AP).
Old May 21, 2013, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by jonnyd13
Try it and let us know!

I imagine the card would have to be fully registered with full name and address etc (same way with AP).
Right I would think as well. I just sent a gift card via AP yesterday morning. Maybe during my lunch break today I'll stop by a drug store and pick up a very small gift card and try it out.
Old May 21, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Right I would think as well. I just sent a gift card via AP yesterday morning. Maybe during my lunch break today I'll stop by a drug store and pick up a very small gift card and try it out.
I hope GW becomes a standard like AP.
Old May 21, 2013, 10:25 am

Well I bought a $25 Vanilla Visa at my local drug store. I registered it online and when I added it to my Google Wallet account I accidentally typed in the true expiration date first (forgot to do the fake Amazon Payments expiration trick to get rid of the pre-auth). So before sending the $25 I checked the balance, and it has a $1 pre-auth. I'll need to wait a couple days for it to go away, before I can finish my experiment.
Old May 21, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by Marathon Man

Works all the time.
As a Soldier, I suppose I should be put off by that. But I'm not. That's some nice social engineering!
Old May 21, 2013, 11:32 am

Well I bought a $25 Vanilla Visa at my local drug store. I registered it online and when I added it to my Google Wallet account I accidentally typed in the true expiration date first (forgot to do the fake Amazon Payments expiration trick to get rid of the pre-auth). So before sending the $25 I checked the balance, and it has a $1 pre-auth. I'll need to wait a couple days for it to go away, before I can finish my experiment.
Even better news - the Pre-Auth went away like an hour later. And I went ahead and sent over the $25 to my wife's Google Wallet account and it worked! The bank account on her GW still needs to be verified with the small deposits, but this is good news for all....until Google stops waiving the credit card fee
Old May 21, 2013, 1:19 pm

I had issues today buying two money orders of $799.30 each. Employee said that the debit card needs to have my name on it. I showed them the purchase receipt from OD, but they were still not happy. They let the transaction go through because they finished one and already started the next. I guess I got to do a better job of hiding the card I am using to buy the MO.

Oddly enough, they had no problem with loading a BB card with the gift rec. The manager explained to me that BB has less restrictions than Moneygram, lol. Looks like I am going to stick to WM with the atm machines.
Old May 21, 2013, 1:24 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I definitely hope that people on this forum are not showing the cashier that they are using a gift card. Walmart will know anyway when they review their reporting, but I still don't want to give the cashiers anything they can say no to. Folks that don't have power like to feel empowered and say no when they can.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I definitely hope that people on this forum are not showing the cashier that they are using a gift card. Walmart will know anyway when they review their reporting, but I still don't want to give the cashiers anything they can say no to. Folks that don't have power like to feel empowered and say no when they can.
People keep saying this; how do you propose doing this? I am dealing with $200 GCs, and split transactions 4 ways to get the $799.30 MOs. Can you tell me how you stop the cashier from looking at the card being swiped? I cover it with my hand as best I can, so she couldn't see it. She questioned the split 4 ways and required me to show her the debit card I was using.

Is there some magical way of hiding the card that people are using?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.