Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by dogbyte:20615802
I've done this twice in the past 2 weeks. Both times the cashiers were very helpful. The first time I went, I bought a 1k MO and loaded another 1k on my BB card. It was somewhat time consuming because I had a mix of $500 and $200 GCs.
How did you get a $1k MO ? Everything I've read indicates that it's not possible to use multiple GC for a single BB load or MO purchase. I though you had to divide the orders to suit your GC; for ex, 2 MO of $500 each.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
How did you get a $1k MO ? Everything I've read indicates that it's not possible to use multiple GC for a single BB load or MO purchase. I though you had to divide the orders to suit your GC; for ex, 2 MO of $500 each.
No. You need to do some more reading :-) Just tell them what you need to do and hopefully you will get a cashier who knows how to do it correctly.
As always, feel free to PM.

Last edited by stealph; Apr 18, 2013 at 11:59 pm Reason: detail
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:08 am

PSCUFS (https://mygiftcardaccount.pscufs.com) manages prepaid gift cards for a lot of credit unions. I used google advanced search to identify these credit unions and then tried placing an online order for these prepaid gift cards. However, in each and every case I got an error saying that the CC that I am using has be to issued from the CU that is issuing the gift cards. Meaning I can't use my Chase Ink or US Airways MC to order the gift cards. Does anyone know a way around this?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:11 am

I tried five different Metabank Visas today at WM...PINS were set through their phone system. I tried to load to BB through the kiosk and each card failed with the printout receipt saying various errors..."debit not approved. Call authorizer" and "debit not available" being the most common. I tried multiple times with no luck and then tried again at the register with no luck. I then decided to try one of the cards to buy a MO at the kiosk again, and it went through? I tried the other cards again for BB, but still got the same errors.

Puzzling why it would work for MO but not BB???
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:46 am

Programs: BA, AA, United
Maybe when WM sells a MO, their system automatically tries the card that you use as Debit and that's why it works.

However when processing a BB load, it doesn't do that and by default it tries to process as credit and fails. That's just by guess.

To load the BB, try this.
Swipe the card and then there will be a button 'Change Payment Type', it is a very small button on the swipe machine, as soon you swipe the card and it comes, click that and you should be able to choose Debit. That's what I have done for metabank mastercards and maybe it will work for MB visa as well.

Keep us posted.

Originally Posted by Fire_Fly
I tried five different Metabank Visas today at WM...PINS were set through their phone system. I tried to load to BB through the kiosk and each card failed with the printout receipt saying various errors..."debit not approved. Call authorizer" and "debit not available" being the most common. I tried multiple times with no luck and then tried again at the register with no luck. I then decided to try one of the cards to buy a MO at the kiosk again, and it went through? I tried the other cards again for BB, but still got the same errors.

Puzzling why it would work for MO but not BB???
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: DL, WoH
I guess I'm just lucky. I just walk up to the empty moneycenter counter and tell the employee I want to load $200, they push some buttons, then they say "swipe your card," I enter my pin, and that's it. Not sure why the difficulties are occurring with these things....maybe it's a POS error.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Are these "pin" cards identified on the outside of the packaging as such?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 8:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pkerr
Are these "pin" cards identified on the outside of the packaging as such?
Yes. They say "Visa" or "Mastercard"
Old Apr 19, 2013, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
^
Old Apr 19, 2013, 8:59 am
wcj

Originally Posted by ricohitman
I guess I'm just lucky. I just walk up to the empty moneycenter counter and tell the employee I want to load $200, they push some buttons, then they say "swipe your card," I enter my pin, and that's it. Not sure why the difficulties are occurring with these things....maybe it's a POS error.
Maybe, just maybe, we are doing more than $200 per visit......IME, it also varies by WM in the same city. It's either that or another FTer placed a hex on me!
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Are you sure? ALL Visa and Mastercards? Previous Visa and Mastercard gift cards were not "pinable"
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:17 am
Suspended

Are you sure? ALL Visa and Mastercards? Previous Visa and Mastercard gift cards were not "pinable"
Well, no, I'm not sure that ALL are, but in theory, they should be. The change to the regulations applies to Visa and Mastercard branded gift cards so one can probably assume that it'll affect all of them.

What do you mean by 'previous'? You do understand that this is a new development, correct? You did read the entire thread, correct?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:26 am

Yes I know it's new. When you said if it says Visa or Mastercard then it has a pin. Since this is a new development I didn't know if all issuers were on the band wagon so to speak or if "new" cards had to be mfg'd in order to give them the pin capability.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:35 am
Suspended

Yes I know it's new. When you said if it says Visa or Mastercard then it has a pin. Since this is a new development I didn't know if all issuers were on the band wagon so to speak or if "new" cards had to be mfg'd in order to give them the pin capability.
As far as I know, it's not related to the age of the physical card, just the purchase date. I could be wrong, but I've not encounteded any issues.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
http://thehill.com/blogs/regwatch/fi...ts-from-stores

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.