Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just to clarify - the higher denomination Target and Simon cards can be cleared out via PO money orders?

I am trying to figure out which is the better value option:

a) a 2pt/$ 2% card that buys a Target or Simon card for no fee, then clears out through cheap money orders, to the bank, pay off the 2% card. Net result is a small return on travel purchased...almost not worth the hassle.

b) a Chase UR card buying $200 gift cards at office supply for 5pt/$ for a fee, then using those gift cards at the PO for money orders - but if those cards don't work, then converting to Simon/Target cards to clear out via money orders - but this adds an extra step and more cost, but I think a higher return.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Just to clarify - the higher denomination Target and Simon cards can be cleared out via PO money orders?

I am trying to figure out which is the better value option:

a) a 2pt/$ 2% card that buys a Target or Simon card for no fee, then clears out through cheap money orders, to the bank, pay off the 2% card. Net result is a small return on travel purchased...almost not worth the hassle.

b) a Chase UR card buying $200 gift cards at office supply for 5pt/$ for a fee, then using those gift cards at the PO for money orders - but if those cards don't work, then converting to Simon/Target cards to clear out via money orders - but this adds an extra step and more cost, but I think a higher return.
I usually use Ink to buy $200 VGC's at OD. I convert enough UR points to cover $7 Fee, then either transfer the rest to UA, or depending on my mood, just convert the rest of the points for Cash as well. Not sure where u are finding Target Or Simon Cards for NO FEE?
Old May 1, 2016, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ram Trucks
I usually use Ink to buy $200 VGC's at OD. I convert enough UR points to cover $7 Fee, then either transfer the rest to UA, or depending on my mood, just convert the rest of the points for Cash as well. Not sure where u are finding Target Or Simon Cards for NO FEE?
If you're going to OD during sales, then that would be the most cost-effective option.

If, however, you're not, then buying $300 cards from Staples.com would be the cheapest.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Phantom707
If you're going to OD during sales, then that would be the most cost-effective option.

If, however, you're not, then buying $300 cards from Staples.com would be the cheapest.
Ya, they didnt have any sales recently at my OD anyway, however I just am not used to buying Cards online, because of potential hassles. The OD I use is right across the street from a WM, so pretty much a 1-stop deal. But u are correct, buying online from Staples is the most Profitable way.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:32 pm

Ya, they didnt have any sales recently at my OD anyway, however I just am not used to buying Cards online, because of potential hassles. The OD I use is right across the street from a WM, so pretty much a 1-stop deal. But u are correct, buying online from Staples is the most Profitable way.
I'm just wondering what "potential hassles" you had in mind. I'm obviously not telling you what to do, but I'm just curious with which issues you were concerned. Cards being lost in the mail, fraud alerts, something else?
Old May 1, 2016, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Red face

I'm just wondering what "potential hassles" you had in mind. I'm obviously not telling you what to do, but I'm just curious with which issues you were concerned. Cards being lost in the mail, fraud alerts, something else?
Ya, I guess all of the above. 1. Waiting for Cards. I like to Cash out VGC's, Minutes after buying Cards. I just like closure, LOL. I dont relax until MO is cleared, and CC is Paid. Usually a full cycle takes me 48 Hours Or Less.
2. What if not correctly activated? If I have an issue in store, I can walk back in and get it rectified in Minutes.
3. Yes, lost in mail. You see, I dont like to carry Balances on my CC, even for 1 Week, so the wait would probably drive me bonkers.

From your experience, are any of these fears justified? Has ordering online been pretty seamless for you? U may have just sold me over.
Old May 1, 2016, 9:30 pm

Ya, I guess all of the above. 1. Waiting for Cards. I like to Cash out VGC's, Minutes after buying Cards. I just like closure, LOL. I dont relax until MO is cleared, and CC is Paid. Usually a full cycle takes me 48 Hours Or Less.
2. What if not correctly activated? If I have an issue in store, I can walk back in and get it rectified in Minutes.
3. Yes, lost in mail. You see, I dont like to carry Balances on my CC, even for 1 Week, so the wait would probably drive me bonkers.

From your experience, are any of these fears justified? Has ordering online been pretty seamless for you? U may have just sold me over.
To be fair, those are two very different questions. Those fears are justified in the fact that they're reasonable fears to have. At the same time, ordering has been pretty seamless for me.

Waiting for the cards is an issue. It does take time. But if you plan it out in advance, it can be worth it. Unless you feel like paying for expedited shipping, this is just something that you would have to deal with.

The cards arrive unactivated, and you have to either go online to activate them or call in to do so. If there's a problem activating the cards, it's fairly easy to just call in to get it completed. I've never heard of anyone having problems on this issue.

If it's lost in the mail, you can do a charge back. I've been ordering for quite some time, and I've never had them lost in the mail.
Old May 1, 2016, 9:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Oops, my bad - the Simon $500 cards have a total of $8 in fees if ordered online ($4 if bought in person), and the Target cards have similar fees. I found the Visa Gift Cards for $300 online at Staples.com (not sure which vendor makes them, I need to do some reading in the forum), so my math would look like:

Per card:
$300 + $9 fee + $0 shipping = 309
earns 1,545UR pt per card
liquidate for $1.20 at USPS

net cost of .007 cents per UR point
Old May 1, 2016, 9:35 pm
Suspended

To be fair, those are two very different questions. Those fears are justified in the fact that they're reasonable fears to have. At the same time, ordering has been pretty seamless for me.

Waiting for the cards is an issue. It does take time. But if you plan it out in advance, it can be worth it. Unless you feel like paying for expedited shipping, this is just something that you would have to deal with.

The cards arrive unactivated, and you have to either go online to activate them or call in to do so. If there's a problem activating the cards, it's fairly easy to just call in to get it completed. I've never heard of anyone having problems on this issue.

If it's lost in the mail, you can do a charge back. I've been ordering for quite some time, and I've never had them lost in the mail.
Ya, thanks for the info.. I was almost there, but maybe Im crazy, but I just can't do the waiting thing. If I buy Cards at OD, I won't even go buy a gallon of milk, LOL, until I get Everything cleared out. If I had to wait Weeks for shipments, I likely won't Sleep much. Unjustified as this may be.

I did order from GiftCards.com (I think that was the site) 1 Time, and it took Weeks for me to get The Card. I was pulling my hair out by The Time They arrived, so I thought, never again! Don't mind me, LOL.
Old May 2, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I just bought my first cards from Staples on line and no hassle at all. I was told up to a month to get the cards, but they arrived in 9 days with the activation code the following day. Very easy process and was able to load to my Serve with no problems. I just purchased 3K from on line, wont have a problem loading them.
Old May 2, 2016, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Oops, my bad - the Simon $500 cards have a total of $8 in fees if ordered online ($4 if bought in person), and the Target cards have similar fees. I found the Visa Gift Cards for $300 online at Staples.com (not sure which vendor makes them, I need to do some reading in the forum), so my math would look like:

Per card:
$300 + $9 fee + $0 shipping = 309
earns 1,545UR pt per card
liquidate for $1.20 at USPS

net cost of .007 cents per UR point
the USPS is taking the debit cards for MO?
Old May 2, 2016, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
the USPS is taking the debit cards for MO?
Yes. Most. Check your local location to be sure.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I just bought my first cards from Staples on line and no hassle at all. I was told up to a month to get the cards, but they arrived in 9 days with the activation code the following day. Very easy process and was able to load to my Serve with no problems. I just purchased 3K from on line, wont have a problem loading them.
I may give it a try. Whats the best strategy for using These to buy MO at WM? With The $200's, I usually go 4 swipes, for $799.30 MO.
I dont use Serve, so I'm just trying to figure the best math based on their 4 swipe limit per transaction. I suppose I could go 3 swipes Each, for $899.30, then Another for $299.30. We can make it work.
Old May 3, 2016, 1:27 am

I may give it a try. Whats the best strategy for using These to buy MO at WM? With The $200's, I usually go 4 swipes, for $799.30 MO.
I dont use Serve, so I'm just trying to figure the best math based on their 4 swipe limit per transaction. I suppose I could go 3 swipes Each, for $899.30, then Another for $299.30. We can make it work.
You can order up to 6 $300 cards at a time.
Old May 3, 2016, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

I find it interesting that you stress over keeping CC balance but don't sweet depositing MO in your checking account. I would think you would worry about your checking account be locked and your money held up until it was taken care of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.