Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by rylan
If you use a USBank card, be safe and call the 800 number and reset the pin.
Will do. Thanks for highlighting!
Old Sep 5, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Having trouble at Publix, using US Bank MCs, and the Ingenico terminal. Cards verified as containing $500, pins have been set via telephone, but getting NOT AUTHORIZED on the PRESTO system. Sunrise and Vanilla VISAs working fine. Something wicked this way comes?

Originally Posted by AndrewTheMan
Does anyone know how to get http://www.ncrcounterpoint.com/media...n/ingenico.png to take US bank cards as debit? No change payment option..
Old Sep 5, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Having trouble at Publix, using US Bank MCs, and the Ingenico terminal. Cards verified as containing $500, pins have been set via telephone, but getting NOT AUTHORIZED on the PRESTO system. Sunrise and Vanilla VISAs working fine. Something wicked this way comes?
You're having trouble with US Bank MCs.

What about US Bank Visas? For whatever reason, MCs have always been more problematic than VGCs.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:43 pm

As a general warning, be wary of contacting US Bank to 'reset' the card if you had troubles liquidating at WM (or I would guess any place where liquidating by MSers is frequent i.e. grocery stores as well). Got extra scrutiny from the rep, consulted supervisor a lot, but ultimately reset it. I don't think this should surprise anyone, but they obviously know what is up and will be reluctant to do it.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 4:27 pm

For the first time my metabank gc was rejected for MO at WM, said use alternate debit on a receipt about 1/2 inch long.

I called to check the balance on the card (500 all there) and to reset the pin to the last 4 (which was default anyways), then tried again, same thing. Went to test a RB load and that worked fine.

I did this at a different walmart 2 days ago and it worked just like normal.

What gives? Is there an issue with that particular WM? Kate has been long dead in my area...
Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by moops380
For the first time my metabank gc was rejected for MO at WM, said use alternate debit on a receipt about 1/2 inch long.

I called to check the balance on the card (500 all there) and to reset the pin to the last 4 (which was default anyways), then tried again, same thing. Went to test a RB load and that worked fine.

I did this at a different walmart 2 days ago and it worked just like normal.

What gives? Is there an issue with that particular WM? Kate has been long dead in my area...
How long was it between the last error on attempting to load at Walmart an the successful loading at Target?

How long after you re-set the pin on it did you try to load again at Walmart?

It could have been an issue with the Metabank network or that particular giftcard as far as its debit/pin function that was resolved in the meantime.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:23 pm

Last night I attempted to buy MO at WM with meta (4 gc's in hand). Went to target directly (~15 min?)after to load 3 of the 4 without issue (hit my max for the day).

Today, bought 3 more meta's, attempted to buy MO at same WM and tried all 4 meta's, mind you, one was from last night, none of them worked. So for the one card there was at least a 15 hour gap in time.

There are 0 issues with the PIN or funds in the cards...

I reset the pin for 2 cards today but not the other 2, none of them worked at WM, waited maybe ~15 min for pin reset, which I don't think has anything to do with it. <1 hour after purchase none worked at WM but every one tried did at TG, 15+ hours the last one still does not work at WM, but I presume will at TG (as its brothers did 14+ hours previous).

I'm going to test another WM, and hope its just that one with issues.

Originally Posted by NoonRadar
How long was it between the last error on attempting to load at Walmart an the successful loading at Target?

How long after you re-set the pin on it did you try to load again at Walmart?

It could have been an issue with the Metabank network or that particular giftcard as far as its debit/pin function that was resolved in the meantime.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:58 pm

I was too antsy to wait until tomorrow so I went to the next closest WM and everything was fine for MO there. Must just be the one wm that needs something reset or something. I'll probably just avoid that one for a bit as its a waste of time and annoying to be like, yea not sure what the problem is... etc.

Anywho, got a random CLI for OBC today as well, long live MS.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by moops380
I was too antsy to wait until tomorrow so I went to the next closest WM and everything was fine for MO there. Must just be the one wm that needs something reset or something. I'll probably just avoid that one for a bit as its a waste of time and annoying to be like, yea not sure what the problem is... etc.

Anywho, got a random CLI for OBC today as well, long live MS.
A random CLI for OBC is NOT a good thing if you are still "uncapped". Most people have their cards terminated soon after........I'm one of them
Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by ajhardee
A random CLI for OBC is NOT a good thing if you are still "uncapped". Most people have their cards terminated soon after........I'm one of them
I have seen a lot of datapoints to support that, and I have one of my own. But I also manage a OCB for another person, they received the CLI, and that card is still going strong. You never know.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
I have seen a lot of datapoints to support that, and I have one of my own. But I also manage a OCB for another person, they received the CLI, and that card is still going strong. You never know.
True, it's not 100%, but from the input I've gotten, it's spooky likely. Ignore the Great Blue Shark at your own peril.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:45 am

So what happens if I run up the entire 23k (CLI from 16) limit and just set it to pay minimum balance as I have 0% apr for another ~8 months or so? They just have to wait 8 months for me to pay them back?

I have 3 other amex cards that I put almost 100k of non-gc spending on per year, im sure that factors into their 'calculations.'
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:56 pm

It's not so much about a CL or the CLI per se, but it SEEMS to be an indicator they are examining and tracking your account. Then you go and give the lurking Great Blue Shark all the reason it needs to strike.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Were you swiping for 500? I had some similar problems and did a 200 and 300 swipe and they both went through to drain.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by CWAL
Were you swiping for 500? I had some similar problems and did a 200 and 300 swipe and they both went through to drain.
What do you mean went through to drain?

Was the load successful with lower amounts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.