Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by flyerfrog
I had a problem with a BB load at WM with $200 US Bank MC purchased from Staples. I got the signature panel instead of the PIN panel. I had successfully used a US Bank MC from Ralphs/Kroger in the past.
Anyone successfully used a US Bank MC in the past week?
Loaded US Bank MC at Walmart today. No problems, used the change payment method.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gw14
Loaded US Bank MC at Walmart today. No problems, used the change payment method.
Same. Sent a BP with a Simon card a three US Bank MCs. Used the PINS in the packing and hit the change button..
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Micki Vass
I'm a complete newb but received both my BB card and Hilton cards today. I bought a test VGC at Kroger (USBank) for $100. Called to verify balance and changed pin#. Drove to WM and found Kate. Followed the instructions and completed the transaction. I have read all the horror stories about Kate not working and was very happy. A few hours later I had to run a couple errands and stopped by another Kroger and bought a $500 VGC. Same procedure I verified the amount changed the pin#. Hit the same Kate and deposited with out a hitch to my BB.

Kroger did ask for my DL for both transactions and typed in my DL#. Not sure if that is a normal or bad.
Welcome to the game!

DL at Kroger chain in my area is normal for ANY gift card over $100. Just their policy.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
I haven't been able to dig up any information yay or nay on this:

I have a corporate issued US Bank prepaid Visa for completing my START goal. These are different from the ones that you buy in stores. It has a PIN. Do these work for loading Serve/Bluebird at Walmart?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:43 am

I thought debits didn't auto drain?

I purchased a $499.99 OVGC at CVS and forgot that I put 499.99 on it.

I went to Meijer and bought a $499.35 MO + $.65 fee. I was left with a $.01 balance that I paid in cash.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I thought debits didn't auto drain?

I purchased a $499.99 OVGC at CVS and forgot that I put 499.99 on it.

I went to Meijer and bought a $499.35 MO + $.65 fee. I was left with a $.01 balance that I paid in cash.
They don't auto-drain when being run as debit...for instance if you use the pin GCs to load Redbird/Serve/Bluebird. If they run as credit during purchases they do/should auto drain. Back in the day when you could load Redbird with credit cards, the GCs did auto-drain for that too since you could run them as credit, some of them by hitting "cancel" on the prompt that asked you to type the pin nr.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by NoonRadar
They don't auto-drain when being run as debit...for instance if you use the pin GCs to load Redbird/Serve/Bluebird. If they run as credit during purchases they do/should auto drain. Back in the day when you could load Redbird with credit cards, the GCs did auto-drain for that too since you could run them as credit, some of them by hitting "cancel" on the prompt that asked you to type the pin nr.
it was run as debit, I entered my pin.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Does anyone know how to get http://www.ncrcounterpoint.com/media...n/ingenico.png to take US bank cards as debit? No change payment option..
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Anyone in Los Angeles ever have luck buying MO's with Visa or MC gift cards at the downtown WalMart Neighborhood Market?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewTheMan
Does anyone know how to get http://www.ncrcounterpoint.com/media...n/ingenico.png to take US bank cards as debit? No change payment option..
can you cancel?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by AndrewTheMan
It doesn't matter much which terminal they're using. It matters which POS is powering it.

Refer to old Walmart POS which works ostensibly the same way using both the old monochrome terminals and new color ones.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite
Just wanted to confirm a couple things:

1) I have been using MetaBank Visa GC for a few months now to load BB or buy MOs. I have started running into a problem wherein all 5 stores that sell gift cards in my town are almost always out of stock. They do, however, always have US bank issued Visa Gift cards and even more MasterCards. I ripped open one each of VGS and MCGC (US bank) to see if there was a PIN included. There was none. There was no language on the packaging about setting a PIN either. If I am understanding correctly - I could buy these Gift Cards (both Visa and Mastercard), call the number and set the PIN and use normally like Metabank GC at any KATE (regardless of Visa or MC)? But if I was to use the counter, I would have to hit Change Payment button in case of Mastercard?

2) In a previous post, someone seemed to suggest that after buying a Metabank GC you could go straight to WM to unload. I was under the impression you had to register it online or using the gowallet app before using it? Am I mistaken? Can I skip that step, buy at Store A and go straight to Kate to unload?

Just wanted to be absolutely sure before I jumped into this. Alternative would be to test with smaller amount, but hoping someone can give some insight

Help is much appreciated.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by AmeriKop45

1) I have been using MetaBank Visa GC for a few months now to load BB or buy MOs. I have started running into a problem wherein all 5 stores that sell gift cards in my town are almost always out of stock. They do, however, always have US bank issued Visa Gift cards and even more MasterCards. I ripped open one each of VGS and MCGC (US bank) to see if there was a PIN included. There was none. There was no language on the packaging about setting a PIN either. If I am understanding correctly - I could buy these Gift Cards (both Visa and Mastercard), call the number and set the PIN and use normally like Metabank GC at any KATE (regardless of Visa or MC)? But if I was to use the counter, I would have to hit Change Payment button in case of Mastercard?
Correct - but first look through the packaging veeerrrry carefully. The PIN is on a small piece of cardstock stuck to the inside of the package with the PIN on the non-visible side - very easy to overlook IME.

Originally Posted by AmeriKop45

2) In a previous post, someone seemed to suggest that after buying a Metabank GC you could go straight to WM to unload. I was under the impression you had to register it online or using the gowallet app before using it? Am I mistaken? Can I skip that step, buy at Store A and go straight to Kate to unload?

Just wanted to be absolutely sure before I jumped into this. Alternative would be to test with smaller amount, but hoping someone can give some insight

Help is much appreciated.
No registration necessary. Buy card, get or set the PIN, go on your date with Kate.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you use a USBank card, be safe and call the 800 number and reset the pin.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Wonko
Correct - but first look through the packaging veeerrrry carefully. The PIN is on a small piece of cardstock stuck to the inside of the package with the PIN on the non-visible side - very easy to overlook IME.

Great. Will do.

No registration necessary. Buy card, get or set the PIN, go on your date with Kate.
Nice! MetaBank ones are awesome then. PIN is always last 4 digits. That would cut my time down to at least half.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.