Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by wangxinqing
So, you might chose which store you wanna to go for purchasing Money Order(s) based on my experience.
Both
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:41 am

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum but I have 6 OneVanilla cards that I purchased from CVS and I'm not able to find any place to unload them.

I used to buy money orders at Rite Aid but they are not allowing using debit cards anymore. One of my local grocery stores used to allow them but now even they have changed this policy.

Is there any place where I can unload them?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by FTaddict
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum but I have 6 OneVanilla cards that I purchased from CVS and I'm not able to find any place to unload them.

I used to buy money orders at Rite Aid but they are not allowing using debit cards anymore. One of my local grocery stores used to allow them but now even they have changed this policy.

Is there any place where I can unload them?
1) Evolve Money
2) Load $49 each time at WM -- OV works for less than $50 at WM.
3) Drive somewhere where they don't know your face...
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by vinhboy
1) Evolve Money
2) Load $49 each time at WM -- OV works for less than $50 at WM.
3) Drive somewhere where they don't know your face...
Wow, thanks

Just didn't get the 3rd bullet. But thanks anyway ^
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by FTaddict
Wow, thanks

Just didn't get the 3rd bullet. But thanks anyway ^
AKA try different stores farther away from your home town. Grocery/riteaid are probably local policies and not hard coded. Try someone different or a different location.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:43 pm

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards.

I always wondered why are AGCs not mandated to support PINs? Its ridiculous that they are somehow exempt.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I always wondered why are AGCs not mandated to support PINs? Its ridiculous that they are somehow exempt.
because amex doesnt have a debit network? They arent debit cards....
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by hamokmonky
the work around method is only for walmart....
Hy-vee isn't Walmart?

You don't say!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:08 pm

(newbie here) I bought a US Bank gift card but I can't figure out how to use it as a debit card. Even for a candy bar I couldn't get it to get approved. I have tried changing the PIN multiple times (866-952-5653) and it still didn't work. It works fine as a credit card on Amazon though. I have used Vanilla and Meta Bank gift cards and everything worked without a hitch. I am wondering if there's anything obvious that I missed.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by medium_alpaca
(newbie here) I bought a US Bank gift card but I can't figure out how to use it as a debit card. Even for a candy bar I couldn't get it to get approved. I have tried changing the PIN multiple times (866-952-5653) and it still didn't work. It works fine as a credit card on Amazon though. I have used Vanilla and Meta Bank gift cards and everything worked without a hitch. I am wondering if there's anything obvious that I missed.

Thanks in advance.
If you enter an incorrect pin with US Bank GC, it can lock out PIN capability. A CSR might be able to unlock. Or just unload on Evolve.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by brc01
If you enter an incorrect pin with US Bank GC, it can lock out PIN capability. A CSR might be able to unlock. Or just unload on Evolve.
How do I get a CSR? That number didn't seem to have human answering calls.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by JATR4
Did you dial the correct number? Number worked for me yesterday--three times for pin changes--and again today. I have used these cards numerous times with zero problems.

CORRECTION" The correct numnber is 1-866-952-5653 not "9653". I dialed the correct number not the one you listed.
I just noticed the wrong number on the sticker for the VGCs.

the number is for
welcome to america's hottest talk line?
ladies press 1, men, press 2
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:34 pm

I think you are supposed to hit "2" and then enter your card number...? Be sure to report back how it goes
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:40 pm

Evolve now charges 3% for gift cards

Effective February 24, 2015 Evolve is charging 3% for debit and Gift Cards....I have not tried this myself, but received an Email today from Evolve. Can anyone please verify???
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:51 am

It's true

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.