Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
I use everything available to me ^ Pretty much the only things I dont have access to are moneypak and AFT (started to late - live in FL, nuff said).

Not sure what else to tell you though, how many walmarts are you have issues with? Maybe try one more out of the way or on a trip you might be taking soon or something? Not sure whats up. Maybe there were activation issues (I read some people having issues??) or something too, did you try running it through something else other than WM? Try a small purchase somewhere else and see whats up
Based on the single response (only you) seems to me not too many buy these...because of the activation issues last month?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by whitesol
Originally Posted by prasha11
No one buys US bank debit gift cards any more?
Has Wal-mart stopped processing these as a 'Debit'?
I had no issues today with USB MCs.
Did you purchase the USB MCGCs this month without any activation issues?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Anyone had luck buying M0s at Kr0ger lately?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by greggarious
Anyone had luck buying M0s at Kr0ger lately?
As long as you don't split the payment up it should be ok, once you do that the clerk will ask to see your card.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
As long as you don't split the payment up it should be ok, once you do that the clerk will ask to see your card.
What about the obvious amount (500 less cost of a MO)? (Assuming it's all on the card)

My worry was an oddly specific amount that's not a round number will raise a flag.

Last edited by greggarious; Oct 13, 2014 at 8:39 pm
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Plat, *A Gold, AA Plat
I have had a $200 MC from staples for a month now sitting in my wallet. I have tried a few times to load at WM in the past and kept having issues. Today I tired with my serve at FD and it gave me the error pin tried too many times in correctly. I called in to reset the pin and tried again. I had same error. Called and talked to a rep and she reset the lock for me and it worked fine.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:02 pm

I have found that if you "mess" up your pin the first time for US Bank GC that it will lock your ability to use it as a "Debit card" period. I called 3 times for them to unlock 2 GC I tried to use and could not get it to work for either BB or money orders. I had 2 other GC that worked just fine the same day. I had to use Amazon Payments to liquidate as a "Charge Card", but now no more Amazon Payments, so be very careful!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
This, like almost everything, varies from store to store. Mine don't care.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by GTFan
My local grocery stores do not care how many "cards" i use. I swipe them myself all for $500 at a time. It helps to be friendly, and always go early in the mornings or whenever they are not real busy. I have done up to $1000 x 2 in money orders at a time. 1 grocery store told me if I do anything over $2000 then she would have to have my Social Security number. I think she was mistaking, and would only need to see my drivers license, but I didn't push the envelope. No way would I give anyone my Social !!!!
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by GTFan
Yes, the FMs around me insist now on seeing the debit card to make sure name is printed on it. Doesn't matter what amount you buy.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Bump. For the dozens of people asking about unloading MC's at Walmart, please see the wiki. Please.....
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond
The US Bank variable loads are all that are available that I can find. They seem to have secure packages and no problem with not having the full $500. What is weird is that the sticker on the front has 1-866-952-9653 to call and that # gives a no longer in service message. I can reset the pin with the # in the wiki and then it loads fine to BB at WM. Also weird is that the package shows valid through 06/2023 but the actual cards show 08/23. It is all working so far, but these 2 discrepancies are making me nervous. Do I have a reason to be?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by pjleitch
The US Bank variable loads are all that are available that I can find. They seem to have secure packages and no problem with not having the full $500. What is weird is that the sticker on the front has 1-866-952-9653 to call and that # gives a no longer in service message. I can reset the pin with the # in the wiki and then it loads fine to BB at WM. Also weird is that the package shows valid through 06/2023 but the actual cards show 08/23. It is all working so far, but these 2 discrepancies are making me nervous. Do I have a reason to be?
Did you dial the correct number? Number worked for me yesterday--three times for pin changes--and again today. I have used these cards numerous times with zero problems.

CORRECTION" The correct numnber is 1-866-952-5653 not "9653". I dialed the correct number not the one you listed.

Last edited by JATR4; Oct 21, 2014 at 9:11 pm
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JATR4
Did you dial the correct number? Number worked for me yesterday--three times for pin changes--and again today. I have used these cards numerous times with zero problems.
Thanks for the response. Yes, I tried several times. There is just one digit different than the one on the wiki. After I load this bunch I will buy a card with a different picture on it and see it that has the same issues. Glad to hear you have had no problems. I am just a little cautious after reading the fraud thread about these US Bank cards.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by pjleitch
Thanks for the response. Yes, I tried several times. There is just one digit different than the one on the wiki. After I load this bunch I will buy a card with a different picture on it and see it that has the same issues. Glad to hear you have had no problems. I am just a little cautious after reading the fraud thread about these US Bank cards.
Hmm, could a fraudster have used a pen or whatever to change that digit to make it harder for the user to call in? There's a number on the back of the card too, does it match what's on the package?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.