Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At my WM, the registers seem hard-coded to reject any other purchase along with a Sunrise card, and that includes another Sunrise card. I have used a chip card -- the register requires that I insert the chip instead of sliding.

I haven't tried at the Service Center or Money Center.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:18 pm

Last edited by firefighterchris; Oct 1, 2014 at 7:32 pm Reason: want it deleted
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:25 pm

Debit not available Appr code = 51

I tried to load BB with US bank visa GC. at Walmart. I get "Debit not available Appr code = 51" tried another GC I got the same message, last month. PIN is not the issue.
I called the 800# I have balance of $500.00 auto answer and live CS.
I tried those cards again today, the same rejection, I had few more cards and tried but all same thing.
I have been doing this for many months, smooth... So, whats going on now?

Last edited by prasha11; Oct 1, 2014 at 6:31 pm
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
Originally Posted by prasha11
I tried to load BB with US bank visa GC. at Walmart. I get "Debit not available Appr code = 51" tried another GC I got the same message, last month. PIN is not the issue.
I called the 800# I have balance of $500.00 auto answer and live CS.
I tried those cards again today, the same rejection, I had few more cards and tried but all same thing.
I have been doing this for many months, smooth... So, whats going on now?
IIRC code 51 is insufficient funds. Were you trying to do a transaction with multiple cards? If so the cashier was trying to charge the full amount instead of just the $500.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by 2B or back in coach
IIRC code 51 is insufficient funds. Were you trying to do a transaction with multiple cards? If so the cashier was trying to charge the full amount instead of just the $500.
I have been doing 1k for many months to load BB and 2k for MOs. I thought about what u mean so I tried 500 too! same thing.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:52 pm

No one buys US bank debit gift cards any more?
Has Wal-mart stopped processing these as a 'Debit'?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:40 pm

I had no issues today with USB MCs.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I think the Vanilla GC are the ones with issues.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I think the Vanilla GC are the ones with issues.
must be YMMV, Kate took OV yesterday in one swipe. No issues in my area.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by whitesol
I had no issues today with USB MCs.
I heard USB MCs had trouble! but I have tried using USB Visa at 2 different WMTs in the last 2 days using 5 different visa gift cards 'debit not available' on each one. Am I the only one using Visa USB gcs?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:58 am

I heard USB MCs had trouble! but I have tried using USB Visa at 2 different WMTs in the last 2 days using 5 different visa gift cards 'debit not available' on each one. Am I the only one using Visa USB gcs?
No more trouble than any other mastercard, mostly just noobs not knowing what they are doing. I loaded a visa usb gc on the 1st without an issue.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
No more trouble than any other mastercard, mostly just noobs not knowing what they are doing. I loaded a visa usb gc on the 1st without an issue.
I have been loading BB and buying MO (USB Visa) for last 6+ months without any tricks, last month did not work for MO and not for BB this month, is there any trick now?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:31 am

I have been loading BB and buying MO (USB Visa) for last 6+ months without any tricks, last month did not work for MO and not for BB this month, is there any trick now?
No issues, no tricks. Perhaps the system was down both times you went, have you tried other stores (not just other walmarts, but maybe a grocery store?)
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
No issues, no tricks. Perhaps the system was down both times you went, have you tried other stores (not just other walmarts, but maybe a grocery store?)
I feel my WMT stores have successfully coded all 'USbank GCs' not to process as debit, unlike vanilla I am able to enter PIN, no need to 'change payment' trick.

Are we the only 2 using Us bank visa? what happened to everyone? why there is so much activity with OV with 'trick' issues at WMT, is it because it cost $1 less?

All grocery stores near me are cash only for MO.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:56 am

I feel my WMT stores have successfully coded all 'USbank GCs' not to process as debit, unlike vanilla I am able to enter PIN, no need to 'change payment' trick.

Are we the only 2 using Us bank visa? what happened to everyone? why there is so much activity with OV with 'trick' issues at WMT, is it because it cost $1 less?

All grocery stores near me are cash only for MO.
I use everything available to me ^ Pretty much the only things I dont have access to are moneypak and AFT (started to late - live in FL, nuff said).

Not sure what else to tell you though, how many walmarts are you have issues with? Maybe try one more out of the way or on a trip you might be taking soon or something? Not sure whats up. Maybe there were activation issues (I read some people having issues??) or something too, did you try running it through something else other than WM? Try a small purchase somewhere else and see whats up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.