Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2013, 5:47 am

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards.

At our local Walmart, the MoneyExpress ATM is always closed (the message on the screen says 'CLOSED'). The customer service person always give me a hard time about the gift cards and they never go through. It's possible they may be pressing the wrong items (debit/credit) but there is no way to tell. Just ranting because I'm stuck with a bunch of GCs now..
Old May 26, 2013, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by NetBrowser07
At our local Walmart, the MoneyExpress ATM is always closed (the message on the screen says 'CLOSED'). The customer service person always give me a hard time about the gift cards and they never go through. It's possible they may be pressing the wrong items (debit/credit) but there is no way to tell. Just ranting because I'm stuck with a bunch of GCs now..
Try another store like kroger or harris teeter or rite aid for mos
You have a pin so if they know how to hit debit these should work
Old May 26, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
First off this thread isn't about you... So please get over yourself.
Second, this thread is very long and info get's buried so instead of reading hundreds of post it is easier for someone to just ask a question.
Lastly, this thread isn't about you, so please get over yourself.
My bad...didn't know people couldn't read.
Old May 26, 2013, 9:12 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ricohitman
Can we please keep the posts to info that hasn't already been stated. It seems the error messages are similar. Unless you have a new development please stop extending the length of this thread. Check your BB loads. Check that you have the right pin number. If and only if those things have been met post data points.
I, and I suspect others, find it helpful to understand the severity / pervasiveness of a problem and do not mind multiple confirmatory posts. If one person posts an issue, for all we know, it could be user error. If three post in close succession, that is far less likely.
Old May 26, 2013, 9:20 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by arsenalman
that calculation includes the ~400 annual fee?
Perhaps they have the card for other benefits??
Old May 26, 2013, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ask the clerk to run it through their card reader. That solved the problem for me at the WM I went to.
Old May 26, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Search out another WM.
Old May 26, 2013, 12:30 pm

This morning, the CSR at my local WM successfully loaded two Chase GCs to my Bluebird..... the same place I was rejected last week. It is always worth a second try.....
Old May 26, 2013, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
First off this thread isn't about you... So please get over yourself.
Second, this thread is very long and info get's buried so instead of reading hundreds of post it is easier for someone to just ask a question.
Lastly, this thread isn't about you, so please get over yourself.
You don't even see your own hypocrisy, do you?
Old May 26, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
This morning, the CSR at my local WM successfully loaded two Chase GCs to my Bluebird..... the same place I was rejected last week. It is always worth a second try.....
I loaded multiple cards on my Bluebird this morning, and all is working well.
Old May 26, 2013, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by jaymar01
I loaded multiple cards on my Bluebird this morning, and all is working well.
same here, drove by 2 WMs, $500 to BB at one locations by service desk, another $500 at another location by ATM
Old May 26, 2013, 4:51 pm

Has anyone had issues with the kiosk needing a store login to continue to process? I posted an episode I just had loading my BB and my GB (as well as my wife's GB card) at a kiosk yesterday.

It seems to me that the kiosk was requesting a login due to multiple high denomination loads taking place at the kiosk regardless of the owner of the card trying to do the transaction. Anyone have similar experiences?
Old May 26, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by BenH
Has anyone had issues with the kiosk needing a store login to continue to process? I posted an episode I just had loading my BB and my GB (as well as my wife's GB card) at a kiosk yesterday.

It seems to me that the kiosk was requesting a login due to multiple high denomination loads taking place at the kiosk regardless of the owner of the card trying to do the transaction. Anyone have similar experiences?
Lots of reports of this in the chase gift card thread, you should check it out. I can confirm personally too. Anything over $2k at my usual walmart locks the kiosk down, needing an assistant.
Old May 26, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA, UA, US, AA
Originally Posted by BenH

Several people, me included, have reported the same experience: 3 x $500 load fine, the fourth requires a store log in.

YMMV regarding getting an employee to log in and reset the machine.
Old May 26, 2013, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is most likely they hit the wrong button.

Today my very competent very friendly cashier hit the wrong button (because of her elaborately decorated artificial long nails) and the thing spit out the Debit Not Available error 51 chit. But since she is very competent, she immediately knows what is wrong. She re-did it and told me to swipe again. It went right thru. I loaded 1 BB with 2 Chase GCs and 1 BB with 1 Chase GC + 1 Vanilla GC. 2 Transactions.

I normally did 2 GCs on one transaction, simple and easy. And I never use Kiosk always at the desk whether it is Money Center or the regular CS desk when it is not a SuperCenter.

The key is NOT to visit on a Pay Day or the following 2 days. The week that leads to the Pay Day, there is No Line. Such as today despite it is a Sunday around 1pm, there was no line when I dropped by. In fact my favorite cashier was walking outside the Money Center and I grabbed her back in.

For those of you who want to use the Kiosks, may be you want to give a 10 min break between loads - take a walk around the store and consider it as your exercise, then come back to finish the remaining - try this, probably would work and no need to get an employee to re-set the machine.

Last edited by Happy; May 26, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.