Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:59 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rossrr
Stopped by Kroger to purchase two US Bank visa's ($500 each) on Saturday. No problems paying with CC; however, the cashier asked for my drivers license number in order to complete the transaction. Is this new? It was my first time purchasing these from Kroger and I've never been asked for a license number at any other store.

I was excited that I was able to load them at Walmart MC with no problems. Their automate machine wasn't doing MO. I walked up to counter and asked for $1000 using multiple debit cards. I specified amount for each. The whole thing was a breeze.
I shop at King Soopers (owned by Kroger) on a fairly regular basis. Whenever I purchase gift cards of any kind (Visa, eBay, Amazon, etc.), I'm asked for my drivers' license; I assume it's store policy.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by kjgco
I shop at King Soopers (owned by Kroger) on a fairly regular basis. Whenever I purchase gift cards of any kind (Visa, eBay, Amazon, etc.), I'm asked for my drivers' license; I assume it's store policy.
Thanks for the quick response! Now I know!
Old Apr 21, 2013, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by rossrr
It was my first time purchasing these from Kroger and I've never been asked for a license number at any other store.
At the Kroger-related stores that I've been to, one of them checks and enters the license number into the system, the other one just glances at the ID. On the other hand, the very first time I used the former store (only 2 weeks ago), the cashier didn't check. I mentioned this inconsistency to one of the later cashiers and she said the register asks for the DL info, but that the times the cashier didn't enter was probably them being lazy and overriding the request.

Edit: Oh, the register doesn't ask for the DL info until I swipe my Amex BCP. Not sure that matters, but just in case.

Last edited by jmdeng; Apr 21, 2013 at 2:46 am Reason: CC info
Old Apr 21, 2013, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kjgco
Well I shop at fry's which is owned by Krogers, and not once have I had to show ID to buy GC... So it's not a corp policy.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:50 am

Forgive me, I'm new to the Bluebird strategy and I'm trying to understand it.

If you're able to setup a Visa gift card with a pin, and Bluebird says you can connect debit cards to the account:

1. Have you essentially made your gift card a debit card?
2. Can you load Bluebird with the gift card online and not have to visit Wal-Mart?

Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: ALL :)
Originally Posted by FullMoonMadness
Forgive me, I'm new to the Bluebird strategy and I'm trying to understand it.

If you're able to setup a Visa gift card with a pin, and Bluebird says you can connect debit cards to the account:

1. Have you essentially made your gift card a debit card?
2. Can you load Bluebird with the gift card online and not have to visit Wal-Mart?

Thanks!
1. Yes
2. Yes online up to $200
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by steventravel
1. Yes
2. Yes online up to $200
Would you happen to know if that's $200 per day, week, month, etc? Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by steventravel
1. Yes
2. Yes online up to $200
Actually, it's $100/daily limit plus a $2 FEE.

In-store, $1,000/daily limit plus NO FEE

https://bluebird.com/faqs#fees-and-limits
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
I bought some Chase cards today, but I didn't see what kind of shipping they use. Anyone? Wish they would let you choose something with tracking or confirmation.

Thanks
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by Frenchie Flyer
I bought some Chase cards today, but I didn't see what kind of shipping they use. Anyone? Wish they would let you choose something with tracking or confirmation.

Thanks
Delivered via reg USPS
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: ALL :)
Originally Posted by Bender464
Actually, it's $100/daily limit plus a $2 FEE.

In-store, $1,000/daily limit plus NO FEE

https://bluebird.com/faqs#fees-and-limits
Thanks! Must have confused the fee and the amount. You can tell I do that option all the time
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:25 am

each of my 11 chase debit cards came in it's own envelope(looked like normal mail)...took about 4-5 business days.

loaded 4 at my neighborhood walmart. (avoid the big stores if you can)

Went to a normal cashier and asked to load 1000 on my bluebird. I then had a bunch of trouble loading, but as soon as she knew I was loading 500 at a time from 2 cards it went fine.

Went to the service desk to load my wifes bluebird with two more and this time I said I had two cards and it went quickly back to back to load 1000.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Well I shop at fry's which is owned by Krogers, and not once have I had to show ID to buy GC... So it's not a corp policy.
Perhaps it's a K.S. policy then, since I've been asked for ID at more than one location. No big deal in any event, apparently. Also, FWIW, I've been told by more than one Safeway clerk & manager that they're "supposed" to check your ID at the register, but often they don't.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
In my experience Kroger always checks Driver License info and match it to credit card used to purchase the gift cards and enter the driver license info into the system IF the amount is more than $75 in total gift card purchases...not helpful of course for $500 visa/mc gift cards purchases but good to know for double/triple/quadruple dipping purposes....
Old Apr 21, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Looks like I need to pick up some Metabank cards. Also, it sounds like US Bank MCs are starting to work. Good to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.