Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2013, 1:12 am

I dont like making light of the less fortunate and pointing at them like they are animals at the zoo like some around here (although i have marveled at the sights WM has to offer once or twice) but i must say its amazing how many people are unbanked and HEAVILY reliant on check cashing places and Western Union.

Even with so many debit cards on the market there seems to be room for more. People seem to be in the habit of remitting money to their friends and family via WU even though the fees are outlandish. All of these prepaid solutions allow you to transfer $$$ to another card member for free i think. If i had to send $$$ on a regular basis i think i would suggest everyone get on the same prepaid card program.

Anyway i think WM and their patners (BB/Serve) are really doing the people a service by offering finacial services to the underserved while keeping the fees they have to very low. Check cashing and MOs were once primarily at corner stores some years ago. Billpay and prepaids werent available at all to them really.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
I dont like making light of the less fortunate and pointing at them like they are animals at the zoo like some around here (although i have marveled at the sights WM has to offer once or twice) but i must say its amazing how many people are unbanked and HEAVILY reliant on check cashing places and Western Union.

Even with so many debit cards on the market there seems to be room for more. People seem to be in the habit of remitting money to their friends and family via WU even though the fees are outlandish. All of these prepaid solutions allow you to transfer $$$ to another card member for free i think. If i had to send $$$ on a regular basis i think i would suggest everyone get on the same prepaid card program.

Anyway i think WM and their patners (BB/Serve) are really doing the people a service by offering finacial services to the underserved while keeping the fees they have to very low. Check cashing and MOs were once primarily at corner stores some years ago. Billpay and prepaids werent available at all to them really.
It's really is sad. All the check cashing and prepaid products are targeted to rip poor, uneducated people off. There are fees everywhere you look! One of my favorites that I came across is the "Young Money" prepaid card. Enjoy!

https://www.youngmoneycards.com/Defa...ookieSupport=1
Old Jun 1, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by cashback
It's really is sad. All the check cashing and prepaid products are targeted to rip poor, uneducated people off. There are fees everywhere you look! One of my favorites that I came across is the "Young Money" prepaid card. Enjoy!

https://www.youngmoneycards.com/Defa...ookieSupport=1
And that's one of the cheaper ones.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
I use a quicken type program to track all spend and cashback.
If you manage your $$$ with this type of software already it doesn't take much to add a few categories and accounts.
Well, you haven't seen my spend habits You'd spend half your day keeping track of it all. And since it's all in motion in the Great Circle O' Spend (here today, gone tomorrow - HTGT), keeping track would be a nightmare.

I just monitor my bank accounts and CC bills online. There's so much activity, I don't pretend to be able to keep track.

My record keeping involves bulging manilla folder(s) for each month to store receipts/spent cards. In 6 months, I've filled up one of those cardboard storage boxes to the brim.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by farwest101
Well, you haven't seen my spend habits You'd spend half your day keeping track of it all. And since it's all in motion in the Great Circle O' Spend (here today, gone tomorrow - HTGT), keeping track would be a nightmare.

I just monitor my bank accounts and CC bills online. There's so much activity, I don't pretend to be able to keep track.

My record keeping involves bulging manilla folder(s) for each month to store receipts/spent cards. In 6 months, I've filled up one of those cardboard storage boxes to the brim.
Wow...you need to move to google docs, mhen!
Old Jun 1, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: United MP, American AAdvantage, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Originally Posted by vagrants
A couple of day ago, went to Staples to get GCM branded VISA GC, but I saw a clerk that gave me 'Chase Ink Bold churner' look before, so went to OD. Saw Vanilla GC...tried once, didn't work as expected & haven't tried since yet...then went to OM. I didn't know OM had the GCM branded VISA GC like Staples (too bad I don't have AMEX Biz CC for OM purchases). Anyway, after OM visit, stopped by at a WM on my way back. Tried the default last 4-digit of the card. Didn't work. I had to call and set PIN. Worked as expected.
What is GCM branded VISA GC? The Staples in my region have the same one as Office Depot, $200 Vanilla Visa GC issued by The Bankcorp Bank.

What is the benefit with AMEX Biz CC for OM purchases? I used the Bold for all office supply stores.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Stoutman11
It worked, last 4 digits of the card. I figured out the kiosk and loaded the $200 no prob. Now back to OM for a bunch more. I checked the OD by the walmart and they were sold out of $200 cards
Is this the yellow packaging Visa GC issued by Metabank purchased at OM?
Old Jun 1, 2013, 9:27 pm

In my area at least, Raley's and Bel Air money orders have a coupon attached for $1 off a $10 purchase (can't use them on another money order though ). The money orders cost $1 so that makes them effectively free if you shop there. I've used both Metabank and Vanilla cards with no problems.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 2:03 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
Originally Posted by vfdfs2
Went to 4 ODs, no $200 Visa GC; 2 OM, no $200 GC; finally 3 Staples, no $200 period. All office supply stores have the racks with the reorder tag, but no GC present. Lots of $100, $50 and $25s. Just not my day today.
Same. There are tons of AMEX $200 GCs, which are worthless for my purposes, but no $200 Visa/MC GCs.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: A bunch
Is this the yellow packaging Visa GC issued by Metabank purchased at OM?
Ya
Old Jun 2, 2013, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Stoutman11
Ya
Thank you for the confirmation. I have 2 here to load into the BB.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 6:27 pm

Which is better, Chase Bold with 5x for office supply stores or AMEX BIZ GOLD (OPEN Savings) "up to 4 additional Membership Rewards® points OR up to 10% discounts* on eligible purchases with OPEN Savings® partners."?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Which is better, Chase Bold with 5x for office supply stores or AMEX BIZ GOLD (OPEN Savings) "up to 4 additional Membership Rewards® points OR up to 10% discounts* on eligible purchases with OPEN Savings® partners."?
"Eligible" means purchases made online at officemax.com, and purchases made by telephone order and by registered users at officemaxworkplace.com, excluding purchases made at retail location
Old Jun 2, 2013, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Each and every time, she must press debit and type in an amount <= to what is available on the card you will next swipe
Yup
This clerk and the whole store dunno how to. All others i go to do

Depends on how ya use em

Do you need ur points or mr points? Can you get either elsewhere?
Is cash off % worth more than say, that trip you will book with the ur or mr?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 6:33 am

Programs: CO, AA, UA
OK...any help on this is appreciated. First of all this is not my first Rodeo...I'm pretty experienced with buying the US Bank Visa GC's and then loading to BB. However, yesterday, I ran into my first issue. I purchased 4 US Bank Visa GC's at Kroger, called and changed pin on each one as normal. Ran over to WM to load to BB. I had 3 load with no problem. The 4th would not load. This is NOT due to the kiosk reaching the max load on cards. So I tried waiting 10 minutes and went to register to load...no go. So I gave up, headed home and then returned to a different WM later in the afternoon just to buy a Money Order...when I try to use the card as a debit...it gets declined. So I tried resetting PIN again, still no go. Finally this morning, I went online and registered the card and called the customer service to advise why it keeps getting declined as debit. Of course they tell me because these are not debit cards, can only be used as credit....blah blah blah. Anyone have any real world experience on how to get this to read as a debit even just for a money order so I can liquidate it? Again, this is not a BB issue...it's with the GC itself. Any help is appreciated...^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.