Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:25 pm

Talking

hi, i am sorta new to this so i am late to the game, i live in the nyc metro area and i am having a hard time using my INK cc to buy gift cards at staples/office depot to load up onto my BB or buy MOs at walmart

please help me out!!!!!!

1) does anyone in the nyc metro area know of any stores that let you use a cc to purchase gift cards? (office supply stores would be better, but i will take anything!)
2) if i am unable to buy from a physical store, i guess i will opt to online purchases, are there any ways to reduce the fees as much as i can - i missed out on the 1% that i read from a few days back
3) From what i understand, all VISAs are all pin-enabled, so that means all the online ones from giftcardmall would be good too right?
4) which online site do i buy from?
5) aside from gc to BB/MOs, amazon payments, general daily spending, what are other ways to rack up points?

thank you all!
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
I recommend reading up, your answers can be found.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by stimulus
hi, i am sorta new to this so i am late to the game, i live in the nyc metro area and i am having a hard time using my INK cc to buy gift cards at staples/office depot to load up onto my BB or buy MOs at walmart

please help me out!!!!!!

1) does anyone in the nyc metro area know of any stores that let you use a cc to purchase gift cards? (office supply stores would be better, but i will take anything!)
2) if i am unable to buy from a physical store, i guess i will opt to online purchases, are there any ways to reduce the fees as much as i can - i missed out on the 1% that i read from a few days back
3) From what i understand, all VISAs are all pin-enabled, so that means all the online ones from giftcardmall would be good too right?
4) which online site do i buy from?
5) aside from gc to BB/MOs, amazon payments, general daily spending, what are other ways to rack up points?

thank you all!
1. don't know, I'm not there
2. ideally the less you pay the more you play; there are some cashback portals that help reduce the out of pocket expense
3. yes, giftcardmall works
4. up to you
5. dining, flying, buying reload cards, buy stuff for me

Old Sep 14, 2013, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by michael21
I'm sorry but I didn't see this answer: at a cash register what's easiest way to load BB with 2 $500 GCs? Just say $1000 and swipe the 2 cards or ask for 2 separate transactions?
If you are new to this, my suggestion would be to read this whole thread, granted it might take you an hour or so, but if you are going to play this game, learn as much as you can before jumping in, it will say you a lot of money (mistakes) and I'm sure all your questions will be answered.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ashap
I recently purchased a few of the $200 M/C (gold with a present on the front) from Staples. I've been trying to purchase MO at WM with them. I registered the card, set the PIN and followed the steps in the Wiki for $200 payment entered by cashier, swipe card, hit cancel, then hit ATM/debit.

I'm having a problem with the WM registers reading these cards as debit, they are instantly going to credit and being denied. I've tried 2 different times with the same result.

Any advice for what I'm doing wrong or what else to try is appreciated!

Thanks!
I can assume you have not read the wiki for this thread, all your answers are there.....
Old Sep 14, 2013, 2:38 pm

FINALLY found some Visa celebrate cards at Walmart. Still working with a credit card at the register.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 5:18 pm

Edit: Broken kiosk weekend. One kept looping back to the PIN entry prompt (so I posted in this thread, oops), another store's never detected BB swipe.So kiosk 0/2 (and FWIW...MC teller 1/2, checkout line 3/3 success rates).

P.P.S. Very minor and whimsical point to add, WinXP is the OS on the kiosks and unless their IT is incompetent they'll need a new OS by early next year when microsoft suspends support/security.

Last edited by zceuxbhjutf; Sep 15, 2013 at 11:51 pm
Old Sep 14, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: US GP, *G, HHonors Gold, SPG
Anyone have any luck buying these at a gas station in the northeast I'll call "blanketz"? With a cc of course.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 7:45 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by michael21
Aha....So nothing about split transaction or anything? Just "Hi, I'd like to load my bluebird...2 separate transactions if that's OK"?

That ought to do it?
I don't complicate things-- I say "I'd like to load $500." Then I do the transaction. Then, when it went smoothly, the transaction is complete, and the receipt is printing out, I hand my BB card back to her and say "Now I'd like to load 500 more". Works every time!

If I"m loading 2 BB's, I do this at 2 registers, with different cashiers.

And, as suggested above, reading this thread has the added bonus of you getting to know the myriad of issues many people have had with the card. In the best "teach a man to fish" style, taking an hour or so to read this (entire, yes, entire) thread will give you more clues, ideas and pitfalls to avoid then you can imagine. It's worth the trouble.... really!
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arrek
Anyone have any luck buying these at a gas station in the northeast I'll call "blanketz"? With a cc of course.
You really don't need to hide the name. Especially when asking a question.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:50 pm

Bought vanilla Visa at blanketz. Next day friend tries no success.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:51 pm

Bought home improvement at blanketz another time no issues but she almost forgot to charge cc after activating Card. I had to remind her
Old Sep 15, 2013, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Voyaging
Bought home improvement at blanketz another time no issues but she almost forgot to charge cc after activating Card. I had to remind her
Not lately is she had, she wont be able to set a pin to them, that cash cow got stopped real quick.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Voyaging
Bought vanilla Visa at blanketz. Next day friend tries no success.
wth is Blanketz? some new acronym code? pm me if needed
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by pyrotalk
wth is Blanketz? some new acronym code? pm me if needed
I assume they mean Sheetz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.